Can A Low Compression Ball Give More Distance: New Bridgestone Ball Fitting

It’s important to see that a golf ball can be forgiving and that where low compression can shine is through spin reduction and performance when the center is missed.

This goes for any brand and any ball. Distance and consistency are a combination of things and the golf ball category should not be viewed as fast vs not fast.

This is the truth that has been so lost amidst some other things out there.

Excellent video here, I truly enjoyed it, and it actually made me go dig through my hoard to find a lower compression ball to put into play today (RXS was the one).

Nice video. I just wish there were more golf ball fittings scheduled for the different manufacturers. I go to the Bridgestone website and look at golf ball fittings and none are listed. I go to Titleist and nothing is listed in AZ. Callaway: I like the ChromesoftX with Triple Track, but think maybe I should try ERC to maybe control my higher spin and no demo days scheduled. I guess I don’t know where a guy like me can pick an ideal ball without trial and error or access to a launch monitor.

I have never been to any kind of true fitting and my clubs and balls are mostly a trial and error type of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is truly informative. It also debunks some of the misinformation that seems to be running rampant on the internet.

Definitely. With a driver SS around 110, I switched to the TM Project (a) and couldn’t be happier. Every bit as long as any expensive “tour” ball with fantastic feel and performance in all areas. While the XS is a good ball, I wouldn’t hesitate to try the RXS.

I finally got to watch the video on the home page, great video. It makes me feel like I need to try the RXS again, (I played the previous version of it) as it was a great ball. The durability on Bridgestone balls was always great.

Great video and enthused at how much detail was discussed. Although short snips are informative and fun, more in-depth knowledge sharing just gives the feeling that I am smarter and more educated after watching. Hats off the Dan & Bridgestone, well done.

That was a great watch, and if I would have had to guess before hand which ball he got fit into the RX would have been the 3rd out of 4 options. Is Bridgestone going to have ball fitting events around the country?

That was a great watch, and if I would have had to guess before hand which ball he got fit into the RX would have been the 3rd out of 4 options. Is Bridgestone going to have ball fitting events around the country?

Yea sir and I believe they have already started.

Great work @Canadan !! I really like Bridgestone balls. The RX is a great one for me, which is interesting because you hit it a lot harder than I do.

Excellent, very informative video. I was glad to hear that somebody else is still gaming the B330 series besides me. Haha. But seriously, just goes to show that swing speed is only one piece of the fitting puzzle.

I also have a clear winner in the TourB RX, but..... I haven’t played the TourB X. I’ll find out for sure in 3 weeks I guess as I’m going into my ball fitting with a completely open mind.

Interesting stuff for sure.

As a side note Alex (haha!) and Bridgestone are really bringing it lately from an engagement standpoint. I’m not just saying it because I’m in the Bridgestone Championship. Other than their balls I wouldn’t have given their product line much thought, mainly because they aren’t readily available in my neck of the woods.

I’m now much more likely to drive to find a place that has them to try them out when I’m in the market for new gear, just because I’m getting to see that they’re genuine and care about us average golfers.

Well done Bridgestone and THP!

The problem with the "sub-105 swing speed balls" is that when a player does make solid-square contact (and compresses the ball properly) distance is often out-of-control-long.
So, while I think getting fit for mishits may help most of the player's mishit shots for impact sound and distance , when the player does make solid-square-impact that ball is longer a good fit.
As is true with golf clubs, choosing a ball to play includes making compromises.

The problem with the "sub-105 swing speed balls" is that when a player does make solid-square contact (and compresses the ball properly) distance is often out-of-control-long.
So, while I think getting fit for mishits may help most of the player's mishit shots for impact sound and distance , when the player does make solid-square-impact that ball is longer a good fit.
As is true with golf clubs, choosing a ball to play includes making compromises.

I mean.... here’s what the 8 iron looked like after the fitting.

001c4420c5431b357aff41c56235e8fc.jpg

Distances were very consistent with the RX. Not sure what you’re talking about.

The problem with the "sub-105 swing speed balls" is that when a player does make solid-square contact (and compresses the ball properly) distance is often out-of-control-long

We have tested consistency on this for years and nothing has shown anything like this. Canadan tested irons along with driver with multiple balls and his iron swing is certainly sub 105 and didn’t have consistency issues there either.

Edit: he beat me to it.

Since I switched to the Chrome Soft over my old ProV1 I have seen a distance increase. I'm sure the Bridgestone would be the same. I will have to try it if a ball fitting comes close to me!

Very insightful vid! IMO...The key is balance of spin to ball flight and still be able to work the ball around the green at your preference. Canadan seems to be a high launch, high spin player so he wouldn’t need a spinny ball. He appears to have plenty of swing speed to carry the ball with a high launch so alot of spin isn’t needed to keep it airborne. He can use his launch angle to stop the ball on the green and the lower spin keeps it from peaking too high or ballooning shots. For low launch, lower swing speed players, spin can help to keep the ball in the air longer so they might be better suited for a spinnier ball than the rx or bx. Just speaking in generalities of course, there are so many variables to consider! A ball fitting is on my to do list!

We have tested consistency on this for years and nothing has shown anything like this. Canadan tested irons along with driver with multiple balls and his iron swing is certainly sub 105 and didn’t have consistency issues there either.

Edit: he beat me to it.

Do the "testing methods" used have a way to measure quality of strike ?
I think in commentary about fittings for ball or clubs the relevance of square-solid contact is usually under appreciated.

Do the "testing methods" used have a way to measure quality of strike ?
I think in commentary about fittings for ball or clubs the relevance of square-solid contact is usually under appreciated.

Not sure why testing methods are in quotes, but the GCQuad monitors impact location of every ball hit through high speed cameras.

You can see in any Range Days episode we discuss in detail what happens as impact locations change and show where the impact is made.

And with that we have not seen how a low compression ball has distance consistency issues as you said.

Not sure why testing methods are in quotes, but the GCQuad monitors impact location of every ball hit through high speed cameras.

You can see in any Range Days episode we discuss in detail what happens as impact locations change and show where the impact is made.

And with that we have not seen how a low compression ball has distance consistency issues as you said.

I put "testing methods" in quotes because I question the merits of testing or fitting for clubs (or a ball) when the process is done in a controlled environment such as a driving range , or worse, an indoor fitting studio using synthetic mats. These environments are so far removed from the sloped, grassy, sandy , tight, fluffy etc...lie conditions a player deals with when playing a round of golf, that it seems silly to give much weight to range and, or, indoor studio testing.
That said, I understand it's impractical for a business to sell on course equipment testing. My own solution is to buy equipment, be it shafts, a finished club or two, new ball or grip model etc...and try same for a few rounds of golf. If I like the performance of the equipment I keep using it. If I don't like the performance I try something else.

Can A Low Compression Ball Give More Distance: New Bridgestone Ball Fitting

I put "testing methods" in quotes because I question the merits of testing or fitting for clubs (or a ball) when the process is done in a controlled environment such as a driving range , or worse, an indoor fitting studio using synthetic mats. These environments are so far removed from the sloped, grassy, sandy , tight, fluffy etc...lie conditions a player deals with when playing a round of golf, that it seems silly to give much weight to range and, or, indoor studio testing.
That said, I understand it's impractical for a business to sell on course equipment testing. My own solution is to buy equipment, be it shafts, a finished club or two, new ball or grip model etc...and try same for a few rounds of golf. If I like the performance of the equipment I keep using it. If I don't like the performance I try something else.

Hmmm. GCQuad can be used right on course and has at many THP Events. I guess my “question“ is if you don’t believe in fitting, how would you find out that low compression brings inconsistency?

Ironically when it comes to driver fitting, or the driver portion of a ball fitting, none of those things matter as the ball is on a tee.

Glad impact location and iron showed otherwise, we always want to make sure THPers have the most accurate information possible.

Hmmm. GCQuad can be used right on course and has at many THP Events. I guess my “question“ is if you don’t believe in fitting, how would you find out that low compression brings inconsistency?

Ironically when it comes to driver fitting, or the driver portion of a ball fitting, none of those things matter as the ball is on a tee.

Glad impact location and iron showed otherwise, we always want to make sure THPers have the most accurate information possible.

Well... that post got ignored because it goes against the “watch the world burn” mentality of a few. That is about as obvious as the sun setting each day.

Hopefully those who genuinely want to gain this level of information and access from the source (which considering I got fit to a ball that doesn’t fit their narrative proves the validity of the test) enjoyed the video and the feedback.

Well... that post got ignored because it goes against the “watch the world burn” mentality of a few. That is about as obvious as the sun setting each day.

Hopefully those who genuinely want to gain this level of information and access from the source (which considering I got fit to a ball that doesn’t fit their narrative proves the validity of the test) enjoyed the video and the feedback.

It would be very informative to see the results of the balls that did or didn't work for you in the fitting.

I really hope people watch the video, lots of good information and good questions asked then answered. Really makes me want to go do a ball fitting as we have seen different information out there regarding compression. I think it goes to show that their are alot more aspects involved in finding the right ball for someone than swing speed and compression. Spin is huge, both in what the ball does and what the player brings to the party will have a big impact.

Back