buckeyewalt

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking at a chance to buy a Toulon putter with a stroke lab shaft. This was a tour putter but wasn't used by the player.

The question I have is are these shafts counter balanced? I'm not too keen on counter balance and the seller doesn't know.

Just looking some input on the stroke lab shafts.

Looking at a chance to buy a Toulon putter with a stroke lab shaft. This was a tour putter but wasn't used by the player.

The question I have is are these shafts counter balanced? I'm not too keen on counter balance and the seller doesn't know.

Just looking some input on the stroke lab shafts.

Not counterbalanced but the weight has been redistributed so that the overall feel of the putter is balanced.

As alex said, it isn't necessarily counter balanced, they went with bimatrix (steel and graphite shaft) to a) lower the weight in the shaft and b) make it stiffer/more stable.

The headweights I believe are slightly lighter and most of the putters have a weight in the butt of the shaft to even out the weight overall... so kind of a counterbalanced profile in my opinion, but I think Callaway/Odyssey like the term weight redistribution.

I have been using it for over a month and am really really happy with it.

Thanks a lot for the info. Hate to spend the money to find out that it wouldn't work for me.

As alex said, it isn't necessarily counter balanced, they went with bimatrix (steel and graphite shaft) to a) lower the weight in the shaft and b) make it stiffer/more stable.

The headweights I believe are slightly lighter and most of the putters have a weight in the butt of the shaft to even out the weight overall... so kind of a counterbalanced profile in my opinion, but I think Callaway/Odyssey like the term weight redistribution.

Headweights are slightly heavier, 10g I gather. Plus either a 30g or 40g weight plug in the end of the shaft. Sounds pretty counterbalanced to me!

+1
AA.jpg

They say it's not a counter balanced putter on the Odyssey, so I would think that same holds true on the Toulon. That was a great little podcast.

They say it's not a counter balanced putter on the Odyssey

Are you the Judean People’s Front?

No, we’re the People’s Front of Judea.

Headweights are slightly heavier, 10g I gather. Plus either a 30g or 40g weight plug in the end of the shaft. Sounds pretty counterbalanced to me!

A club that is truly “counterbalanced” in a traditional sense just adds overall weight to the club at the grip end. What Odyssey has done is as someone else said, taken weight out of the shaft (40g lighter than an all steel) and redistributed it adding 10g to the head and 30g to the grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The strokelab shaft is 3/4 graphite and 1/4 steel at the end of it. I don't know the "standard" weight of a putter head but you can have a sole plate with a weight of 7, 20, or 40 grams of weight. The stroke lab grips have a weight in the shaft to total 105 grams of weight. The oversized grip is lighter than the standard grip so it has a heavier weight added. Either 30 grams or 40 gram weights are in the grip part of the shaft. It is easily removable with pliers if you want to change the grip out.

I have a Toulon with a SuperStroke Traxion grip and a 25 gram weight in the end. You can use 25, 50, or 75 grams with the SS grips. I have been switching between the 75 and 50. Toulon designed it to be 105 but I think I like it heavier in the grip end. I also like really heavy putter heads so I'm waiting on the 40 gram plate to come in to try.

I don't know the strict definition of "counter balanced" but if the stroke lab shaft with added weight in the grip and head aren't counter balanced then I don't know what is.

Last edited:
I live my Odyssey stroke lab I make many more shorties than I used to and I've been breaking 80 more because of this

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info. Hate to spend the money to find out that it wouldn't work for me.
For what it's worth, keep an open mind and give it a try. I doubt anyone was more skeptical about the SL than I was when everyone started raving about them being the best thing since Jesus died on Calvary, but I gave one a shot and it has certainly earned its spot in my bag.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back