Mizuno MP-H5 Irons Review Thread

First, welcome to THP!

Second, glad you seem to have found some things that you are really liking!

Thanks Jman,

I will say though, I have an open mind about the next set of sticks, so if anyone has any thoughts on what else to try, I'm all ears. I guess I should try the Srixon 545's possibly?

Thanks.

Thanks Jman,

I will say though, I have an open mind about the next set of sticks, so if anyone has any thoughts on what else to try, I'm all ears. I guess I should try the Srixon 545's possibly?

Thanks.

I'm a big believer in hit as many as you can. The 545's are hot right now, the Callaway Apex are solid, and the list goes on. Find what works for you and what you enjoy looking down at!

I'm a big believer in hit as many as you can. The 545's are hot right now, the Callaway Apex are solid, and the list goes on. Find what works for you and what you enjoy looking down at!

Agreed.

800 Pro versus 850 forged and MP H5

800 Pro versus 850 forged and MP H5

Hi Everybody,

Another first post:

I've been lurking a short while reading on these and I will add my experience

I have recently hit my current gamer JPX800 pro 6 iron versus the JPX 850 Forged and MP H5 demo 6 irons

After a warmup I hit each club about a dozen times in a golfsmith launch monitor bay. I threw out shots that were mishit or far off line

My average swingspeed was 78 with all 3 clubs using a R flex graphite shaft (orochi tour for new models, UST rv2 95 gm for 800 pros)
My index is usually in the 5-6 range.

Ball speed average was same for all 3 clubs at 113-114 mph

Launch angle was highest for MP H5 at 16.5* average, Next was 800 Pro at 15.5* Lowest launch was 850 Forged at 14.75*
Descent angles similar trend H5 43.5, 800 Pro 42, 850 Forged 41*

Dispersion between MP H5 and 850 forged very similar--but I did not look at this data as carefully

Carry distance 800 Pro 166, 850 Forged 165, MP H5 164

My personal opinion is that the MP H5 felt the best and was easily the best looking iron of those 3. I do prefer the consistent color of the 850 back to my 800 Pros with the black badge. The 4-6 irons of the H5 have a thinner topline than the H4 and to my eye are much nicer.

The higher launch and steeper descent of the MP H5 was very consistent--as was the 2-3 yards shorter carry. They have slightly weaker lofts so this is almost exactly what I would expect. I have hit MP H4 versus my 800 pros and experienced a similar trend.

I am very skeptical that the Boron technology of the 850 Forged adds anything.

Keeping my JPX 800 pros for now. If I were to get new Mizuno irons I would go for the MP H5 mainly because I think they would perform well for me and I love the way they look. I need to look at and Demo Srixon 545/745

Nice post kro - appreciate the feedback.

I know this thread has sort of run it's course a little, as these irons have been out for a little while, and traffic is low in this thread. And forgive me if this specific question has been addressed here, as I skimmed through and didn't see the exact info I was looking for.

I'm in the infant stages of considering a new set of irons, and I'm looking at going a little outside of my normal iron setup and going 4-p with the 4 being a more forgiving option. The 4 iron seems to be the spot in my bag where my confidence in ball striking plummets, especially because I am also considering going 2* strong on the irons and playing a 48*, 53*, 58* wedge setup. I am considering the Mizuno MP 15 or JPX 850 Forged with a MP H5 4 iron, or AP2 with an AP1 or 712U 4 iron, both with lofts bent to blend.

My reason for posting here is this- I am wondering if having a set of JPX 850 Forged 5-pw with a MP H5 4 iron would be redundancy at it's finest. Would I even notice a difference in forgiveness? I know that the 850F are a more forgiving set than most (if not all, save the MP H5) of the MP series, but I was thinking that the MP H5 long irons hollow head construction might help with thin shots and make the club a little "hotter" on off center hits. Am I way off, or would I see some forgiveness benefits going with a MP H5 4 iron? I have seen some direct comparison here between the 850F and the H5, but it's been with 6 and 7 iron demos rather than the 4 irons, which is where the MP H5's hollow heads really seem to be most predominant. Thanks for any feedback anyone can provide, I do appreciate it!

My initial reaction is that you are definitely approaching redundancy in that scenario, but you should probably hit both to be sure.

My initial reaction is that you are definitely approaching redundancy in that scenario, but you should probably hit both to be sure.

That's certainly the game plan. I just wanted to save myself the time if this was the case, hoping that someone could speak to their own experiences directly with the two. I am not looking for a world of difference, just a little help with my normal misses- slightly thin or high towards the toe. I rarely outright mis-hit an iron, but one that could save me 5-10 yards caught a groove or two low that could mean the difference between being on the front edge or being in the sand or water. I might just go with my 21* DHY in that slot, but I really wanted to keep some flow in the set and I feel like I hit the DHY a little higher than I'd like for a true 4 iron replacement. Unfortunately, I'm really leaning towards the AP2's, mostly because of more choices in shaft options through Titleist. I've always liked and respected Mizuno products, and have always wanted to game a set, but have never really considered for this reason.

Apex Pro vs MP-H5

Apex Pro vs MP-H5

Anyone play both the MP-H5 and Apex Pro? If so, how do the they compare regarding forgiveness?

Rob

Last edited:
Anyone still hitting these? I'm late to the game on them. Hit them today and loved them.

Anyone still hitting these? I'm late to the game on them. Hit them today and loved them.

I love mine, got them last August plan to play them for years to come unless my single length irons are easier on my back.

I kind of feel like $1000 for these aren't worth it now dice they have been out two years already. Hmmm.

I kind of feel like $1000 for these aren't worth it now dice they have been out two years already. Hmmm.

I hit them really well at my recent fitting, and will likely pick up a set very soon. You can get them off Golfsmith's custom build site for $799, found some really clean sets on eBay in the $500-600 range. Plus, if they work really well why worry about them being 2 years old?

Really? $799? I'm hoping to hit these some more at PGASS while I. In Atlanta

Back