Callaway XR16 Pro Driver Review Thread

Still trying to decide on the pro or regular head. What differences have you all seen. My miss is high on the face.

I have both currently. I hit the pro better and more consistent. I'm right around a 9 handicap. For me, the regular XR was a lil draw heavy and spun too much. The pro for me is loner and more consistent. My swing speed is around 97-100 and I'm playing an aftermarket Fuji 665 shaft. Club is just deadly consistent so far for me. But the regular was pretty good too. Best advice as always is get on a monitor and hit both and see which works best.

I have both currently. I hit the pro better and more consistent. I'm right around a 9 handicap. For me, the regular XR was a lil draw heavy and spun too much. The pro for me is loner and more consistent. My swing speed is around 97-100 and I'm playing an aftermarket Fuji 665 shaft. Club is just deadly consistent so far for me. But the regular was pretty good too. Best advice as always is get on a monitor and hit both and see which works best.

Interesting. Do you know if pro spin is simular to 815 alpha?

I don't need a new driver then I see this thread and I think I want a new driver. If I don't hit it I won't buy it, right? Ugh. So much interest in this one.

I played today with a fellow THPer who just picked up the xr16 pro with a Oban white shaft and he bought a black hzrdus shaft to test. He was KILLING it! I tried both but I just don't swing hard enough really for the hzrdus. But I hit every fairway today with driver and it was long. Never tried the 815, sold the GBB when I hit the xr16 pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question?

Is the 16 in XR16 Pro referring to 2016 model?

Question?

Is the 16 in XR16 Pro referring to 2016 model?

Yes. The XR and XR Pro were released last year. This year's models are called the XR16 and XR16 Pro. I believe both still have only the large XR on the sole of the club, although "XR16" is in smaller font toward the hosel.

I don't need a new driver then I see this thread and I think I want a new driver. If I don't hit it I won't buy it, right? Ugh. So much interest in this one.

Don't hit it then is my advice. I historically suck at drivers. Worst club in my bag consistently. I've made the mistake of hitting it twice. I am now desperately trying to find reasons not to buy it. And failing fast.

It's sooooo good.

Last week I picked up a like new XR16 pro with an Oban Kiyoshi white shaft, and also got a non hand crafted hzrdus black 6.0 for cheap. First round today was rushed and cut short due to weather. The hzrdus definitely felt firmer in the tip than the oban, with a slightly lower trajectory. The oban seemed more prone to me losing the ball to the right. I have a lot more comparing to do, but the early results were positive.

I liked what I saw the first time around, and I'm probably going to get a longer tee and try this again tomorrow, as well as the XR 16. This time I will have them put the correct shafts in the demos as well.

One thing I have noticed since picking this up is for the first time I have to tee the ball higher to engage the center of the face. I've always teed the ball lower with everything else I've had. 815 DBD, GBB, etc...
Still loving this one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Got this out for a quick 9 holes. First time using it in a round and not on the range. Good bit of wind today but I was very impressed. Little bit of a lower ball flight than my previous driver, but I hit some great drives and had no horrible slices. With this driver, I feel like I can really go at it and know that it will be in play. Might tinker with the loft and see what happens, but overall I'm very pleased with everything so far. Hit 5/6 fairways using the driver, and my one miss was an absolutely awful swing by me, but still playable. Can't complain about those results!

Why is this getting bumped when I'm 5 blocks away from a golf store.

Bring on Club Clash.

Has this club beat out the 816 DBD for anyone? I finally have the 816 dialed in pretty good but I've been considering the XR 16 Pro for a while. I just don't think the Subzero is gonna be for me.

Has this club beat out the 816 DBD for anyone? I finally have the 816 dialed in pretty good but I've been considering the XR 16 Pro for a while. I just don't think the Subzero is gonna be for me.
I went from 816 to this. I saw similar spin with touch more forgiveness. Just found center more often as well. For some reason I get along well with this club

I also bumped the 816 for the Pro, just better all around for me. Longer only because of better center face contact and not a lot, but everything helps.

I will probably put this against the xr 16 and cobra f6 next time I'm at the store. I am predicting I will find the center best and least draw bias with the xr 16 pro. It also may come down to shaft offering and fitting.

No luck getting to test the XR Pro as I would like. I went to Dicks again after work and they still had the shafts reversed on the demos. When I asked the kid that was working there if he would switch the shafts he looked really confused. He literally tried to tell me that it wasn't possible. I explained to him about the wrench and the adjustable hosel and he said he couldn't do it because he wasn't trained. I volunteered to do it and he said no, I had to wait till tomorrow when the "pro" was there. It's sad how far the GB Dicks has slipped.
Anyway, sorry for the rant. I suppose I will go back and try again since it's the only place I know of that has them in GB.

No luck getting to test the XR Pro as I would like. I went to Dicks again after work and they still had the shafts reversed on the demos. When I asked the kid that was working there if he would switch the shafts he looked really confused. He literally tried to tell me that it wasn't possible. I explained to him about the wrench and the adjustable hosel and he said he couldn't do it because he wasn't trained. I volunteered to do it and he said no, I had to wait till tomorrow when the "pro" was there. It's sad how far the GB Dicks has slipped.
Anyway, sorry for the rant. I suppose I will go back and try again since it's the only place I know of that has them in GB.

Bring a wrench next time and swap them when they're not looking lol. I also scroll through the shot data when they are not there also lol. It's pretty much self serve these days.

I don't have a cally wrench, or I probably would have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

That is awful customer service. What was the kid doing working in the golf section? I hope you get to try it the way you want it.

That is awful customer service. What was the kid doing working in the golf section? I hope you get to try it the way you want it.
I have no animosity towards the kid. He seemed like a fine young man, and tried to be helpful, just didn't really know anything about golf equipment. I was annoyed, but would never give a kid like that a hard time when I know that the folks on Dicks 'mahogany row' are really to blame. To be fair the guy that normally works there now is pretty knowledgeable. I'll get to try the driver how I would like to, just king of annoyed because it used to be much better there.

This driver is fantastic! Took it out for a full 18 today and wow! Didn't have a great day contact wise, and couldn't find the center of the club face, but all of my misses were still long and playable.

How's the launch low off the club face? I remember the flyy z plus was too low launching from there when I tried it.

I spent a bit of time on the range this afternoon with the XR16 Pro driver and I am really intrigued.

Going to get the head into a couple of my preferred shafts to see how it measures against the LTD. I think I want to love this line.... or at the very least get amped up for sub zero at some point haha

I'll end up buying an XR16 Pro before it's all said and done.

I can't remember the last time I was that excited about a driver. Seriously -- it's that good.

Back