Wife starting out

Kevin Coleman

Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie,

My wife has recently taken an interest in wanting to improve her swing and game. While I love the game and playing, I must admit that I lack much of the knowledge to really teach her outside of having her imitate me. Can you help us with some key things to work on?

P.s. I'm sorry for the vertical video, will turn them in the future.

https://vimeo.com/162417576

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freddie will chime in I am sure, but let me just say from the setup to the actual swing there is not much wrong with any of it. Her posture looks great and she slots the club great on the down swing. She should have no problem playing with that swing IMO.

I claim no where near enough knowledge to say anything certain, but it looked pretty good to me.

Nice swing there Kevin! She might have a better looking one than you! :D

Master Freddie knows best but I bet he picks up on something going on with her downswing. Looks like a little over the top or the right arm/side taking over. Does she hit the ball low?

Great video BTW!

Wife starting out

Nice swing there Kevin! She might have a better looking one than you! :D

Master Freddie knows best but I bet he picks up on something going on with her downswing. Looks like a little over the top or the right arm/side taking over. Does she hit the ball low?

Great video BTW!

She usually hits it right as she has trouble squaring the club face. This is one of her better shots and it has a cut on it as you can see in the video.

She usually hits it right as she has trouble squaring the club face. This is one of her better shots and it has a cut on it as you can see in the video.

That's definitely a cut downswing, almost coming across her body to deliver the impact. Again, Freddie will know here! She's got lots of good working in that swing!

That's definitely a cut downswing, almost coming across her body to deliver the impact. Again, Freddie will know here! She's got lots of good working in that swing!
You caught it I think. Her initial move on the down swing looks good but maybe she just gets a little stuck and arms take over to much causing her to just cut across the face.

Her setup and move to the top look real good to me. As others have mentioned, she is coming over the top on her downswing.

Speaking from experience, spending money on lessons while she is starting out is worth it. Something odd about wives NOT listening to husbands :)

Her setup and move to the top look real good to me. As others have mentioned, she is coming over the top on her downswing.

Speaking from experience, spending money on lessons while she is starting out is worth it. Something odd about wives NOT listening to husbands :)

We've had a run in or two where I would say so many things to her that she would just fire back that she didn't want me to try to teach her anything lol!

Sending my wife for lessons was a great investment. Even when we are at the range, I won't say anything unless she specifically asks. I won't tell her much, since that could mess with her lessons too. I tend to ask her if her instructor said anything about what she's working on first.

That's actually not a horrible swing! Keep her right arm tucked a little bit and she's golden. Wish we had a top golf in the Cleveland area. Such a great place to take beginners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She needs to just keep swinging some more. She has a good takeaway, but when she gets to the top and starts her down swing, you can see it's all arms. She need to get her hips and shoulders involved on the way down. She's getting really steep on the downswing because she's casting from the top of the swing instead of letting her shoulders and hips bring the club down to the ball. That's why she comes from outside right to inside and left on the swing.

I agree, Freddie will help! On a side note, the time my wife and I spend together golfing is great. Much more enjoyable than I thought. I'm sure you will find the same thing!!

Freddie,

My wife has recently taken an interest in wanting to improve her swing and game. While I love the game and playing, I must admit that I lack much of the knowledge to really teach her outside of having her imitate me. Can you help us with some key things to work on?

P.s. I'm sorry for the vertical video, will turn them in the future.
First thing I would do is get her lessons from anyone else but you if you want to stay married.

For somebody "starting out", I am envious of these two positions.

6c7dbcf852cf24b7078226770b224b3d.jpg

767917d0492fef833ea3a30fc26bfefc.jpg

Get her to shorten her swing and start with the left hip pulling away from the ball and I think she will be really good really fast.

Wow that's a great looking swing for a new player!

4b4c8739ac1681747332bcee93ceddd7.jpg

This is the :24 spot of the video and all the back swing she needs. If you work with her on a 3/4 length backswing she will find this position.

Ask her to make sure her arms continue to swing under her chest as the should rotate. She slows her arm swing, the shoulders actually pull her over the top because her tempo was off. It's what we call a hit motion instead of swing motion. The hit is a guided shot, has some deceleration in it and generally provide us with inconsistent shots.

She also is not releasing the club. This is the result of a hit motion or guided motion. If she swings the club it will release naturally.

The good ness is that she clears that left side pretty good. If she adjust these things, I do feel she will give you a good game.

Thanks Tadashi!

So I should have her focus on a 3/4 swing with good rotation of the chest/shoulders and "swinging the club" vs "hitting the ball"... This should help her not to decelerate, and to release naturally.

Sounds like a plan!!!

4b4c8739ac1681747332bcee93ceddd7.jpg

This is the :24 spot of the video and all the back swing she needs. If you work with her on a 3/4 length backswing she will find this position.

Ask her to make sure her arms continue to swing under her chest as the should rotate. She slows her arm swing, the shoulders actually pull her over the top because her tempo was off. It's what we call a hit motion instead of swing motion. The hit is a guided shot, has some deceleration in it and generally provide us with inconsistent shots.

She also is not releasing the club. This is the result of a hit motion or guided motion. If she swings the club it will release naturally.

The good ness is that she clears that left side pretty good. If she adjust these things, I do feel she will give you a good game.

All I can say is if you want to stay married keep golf separate...... Haha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Well, the teaching anyway. I love playing golf with my wife though, but I sure as hell didn't teach her.

Well, the teaching anyway. I love playing golf with my wife though, but I sure as hell didn't teach her.

Wise comments. Never teach family to play golf.

Kevin,
Glad to see your wife is interested in picking up the game. Besides the great advice about not teaching her yourself there are some additional things to think about that I have learned from experience.
1. She will notice what clubs are in your bag and ask you about the new ones (what these old things? Had them for years).
2. Don't ever let her see one of your putters that you don't want to immediately give her to game.

Kevin,
Glad to see your wife is interested in picking up the game. Besides the great advice about not teaching her yourself there are some additional things to think about that I have learned from experience.
1. She will notice what clubs are in your bag and ask you about the new ones (what these old things? Had them for years).
2. Don't ever let her see one of your putters that you don't want to immediately give her to game.

Extremely valuable points, both of which I had not thought of!

Hitting vs Swinging is a very common beginner issue. That is why practice swings are usually great and the actual shot is sometimes not so great.

Keep the swing thoughts to a minimum. Like Freddie mentioned, reducing the length of the back swing should be the primary focus. That may also resolve some of the issues that occur on the downswing

She has a good thing going and definitely shows some athleticism. Have fun!

Back