Cobra KING F6 Driver - THP Review Thread

So after my round today, I had my JetSpeed in the back of my SUV and I went to the range. Hit about two dozen balls with each. The JetSpeed is the HL version so it was playing 14* while the F6 was playing at 11.5 D. JetSpeed was stock shaft (Matrix Velox 49g IIRC) and the F6 had a Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65g. The JetSpeed clearly had a much higher launch even with the F6 weight set to towering. I could get the F6 higher with placing the ball more forward, but when I did that the slice creeped in, so I am much more comfortable playing it in the middle of my front foot. By the looks downrange, I was of course getting tons more roll out and for a majority of the courses I play down here ... that roll-out is going to amount to a good bit of distance. Also, the F6 was much easier to control. For me, a poorly struck shot results in a two way miss, but compared to the JetSpeed, the miss still either places me on the edge of the fairway or just off. In my round today, aside from the two total stink-bombs I hit off tee, everything was clearly playable, and I had two 235+ drives which as the weather warms up is becoming more and more common.

It is time to start looking for a new driver and after reading this thread, it looks like I need to put this driver on my must hit list. Spring is about here so I hope to find a demo club that I can take to the course and try out. I am a short hitter with a slow swing speed (~85 mph) so I hope that I can tweak this club to help me out.

Let me start by saying that I have never played Cobra golf clubs before, whether it be driver or irons. I have been looking for a new driver (12 handicap, 97 mph swing speed) for about the past month, most recently had the TM R15 (longest driver I ever played but inconsistent) and Ping G30 in my bag. About three weeks ago, I went out and hit the M1, M2, Ping G, and Nike Vapor Speed drivers. Ended up taking the M1 and G drivers on the course a couple of times and played them side by side. I could not get comfortable with the M2 and have difficulty getting the ball up in the air, while the Ping G I found very forgiving and hit some pretty decent drives. Went to my local specialty golf shop and went through fitting process for the Ping G, all the numbers lined up well with the exception of ball spin, which was really low (1,100-1,500), but pro ensured me that the club and shaft were a good fit for my swing. Ended up buying the Ping G and played it 3-4 rounds and numerous range sessions. Unfortunately, while the Ping G was very forgiving, I was never able to the get ball flight I was looking for and could not keep ball from going left, even tried different shafts (tour 65) with no luck. So this weekend, I sold the Ping G driver, and went in search of another driver and tried the usual suspect, hit the M2 and Vapor Speed again with better results but not enough for me to buy. Out of frustration and curiosity, I decided to try the Cobra KING F6 driver towards the end of my range session. Ended up hitting 40-50 balls with the F6 and decided that I liked the feel, sound, and ball trajectory. Made the decision to buy the F6 with the stock Matrix Q4 Red Tie Shaft (Stiff). Went out and played a round that same afternoon with my brother and had one of the best driving days I have had in over a year. From the very first tee shot, I felt comfortable and had confidence in the F6 driver. I was able to hit a nice high baby draw all day long and avoided the low hook shot that usually kills me. This driver had very good distance (not longest driver, but still very good), and I was able to control my shots with fairly easily. One note, I think the shaft I selected is perfect for my swing and made a huge difference for me. Have a trip planned to Monterey in a couple of weeks to play some big-boy courses (Pebble, Poppy Hills, and Fort Ord Bayonette) and will provide updated results on the club.

I have been seriously pondering this driver. Would love to try it out, but I don't have anywhere close to me that I can demo clubs.

Nothing has been able to knock my GBB with px hc LZ out of my bag. I've hit everything out there. The F6 now has a spot in my bag with a hzrdus 65.

I was seeing an average of 1900 rpm's of backspin and 14.5* launch with this driver. 105 SS. Beast for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nothing has been able to knock my GBB with px hc LZ out of my bag. I've hit everything out there. The F6 now has a spot in my bag with a hzrdus 65.

I was seeing an average of 1900 rpm's of backspin and 14.5* launch with this driver. 105 SS. Beast for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Man that is great!!! Still waiting to give the F6 a swing.

I continue to see great results with the F6. It's a fairway finder for sure. Besides one glitch of a round, I'm over 60% FIR with this driver in the bag.

I'm still working on my swing, so the distance isn't quite there yet, but I have a feeling my driving average has ticked up since I've put this in play. It should jump up a bit more (hopefully a healthy amount) when summer rolls around.

exactly what i wanted to hear deuce. I'm desperately in need of a fairway finding driver :)
I cant wait to test this beast although my driving performance has been very poor lately. How does the F6 series compare to the old AMP Cell Drivers/Fairways in terms of head shape? I liked the bigger profile of the Amp Cell much more than the Bio Cell/FlyZ versions and I also got a much better dispersion.

Today was my best day with the F6. Usually I play with the setting set at 11.5 towering since it's been so accurate with monster distance (for me) but today I decided to give the 11.5 penetrating setting a go. Didn't feel any loss of forgivness with with penetrating setting and had three GPS verified 290+ drives. Today might have been the best all around driving day of my life.

Hit the F6 with the stock stiff shaft at the demo day at my local golf shop and LOVED it.
Hit somewhere between 15 and 20 balls of which only maybe 1 or 2 were mishits. No slices, either right down the middle or a slight/moderate push. I'm not a long hitter by any stretch, but distance wise I was seeing an average carry of around 235/240 with some beyond the 250 sign.
All in all, very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit the F6 with the stock stiff shaft at the demo day at my local golf shop and LOVED it.
Hit somewhere between 15 and 20 balls of which only maybe 1 or 2 were mishits. No slices, either right down the middle or a slight/moderate push. I'm not a long hitter by any stretch, but distance wise I was seeing an average carry of around 235/240 with some beyond the 250 sign.
All in all, very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heck yeah man! That's awesome. Glad you were able to get out and try some new stuff.

Heck yeah man! That's awesome. Glad you were able to get out and try some new stuff.

Yeah it was night and day from what I was doing today out on the course. I really think the difference in flex is the biggest thing. Didn't change the loft at all and was teed up a touch lower too which no doubt helped stop the sky ball.
If I didn't have someone at home to answer to I probably would have bought one on the spot.

Yeah it was night and day from what I was doing today out on the course. I really think the difference in flex is the biggest thing. Didn't change the loft at all and was teed up a touch lower too which no doubt helped stop the sky ball.
If I didn't have someone at home to answer to I probably would have bought one on the spot.
You should anyways. Haha. Good stuff dude. I hope the Cobra guys hook you up!

Found the F6 at a local shop yesterday and came away very impressed. My normal shot shape is a fade, with the F6 not only was I hitting it straight but I also hit my fair share of baby draws. It's very rare for me to hit a draw. I absolutely adore the feel of this club, during the swing and the face. I would've walked out with it, but I was launching it too high. I'll have look for a F6+ or maybe LTD to try.

Found the F6 at a local shop yesterday and came away very impressed. My normal shot shape is a fade, with the F6 not only was I hitting it straight but I also hit my fair share of baby draws. It's very rare for me to hit a draw. I absolutely adore the feel of this club, during the swing and the face. I would've walked out with it, but I was launching it too high. I'll have look for a F6+ or maybe LTD to try.

Did you try the weight in penetrating mode to try lowering the flight?

Did you try the weight in penetrating mode to try lowering the flight?

I did, lowered the ball flight from 20* to 18*. Still too high.

With the F6+ Pro you can drop that loft down to 7*!!!
Plus with the weight forward and lower spin, you should get some lower launching, low spin shots.

what was spin and peak height?

peak height I'm not sure. Spin was around 3200

With the F6+ Pro you can drop that loft down to 7*!!!
Plus with the weight forward and lower spin, you should get some lower launching, low spin shots.

I'll have to take a look around my local shops and see if they have any in LH.

Had my first nine holes with the F6+ I won at Club Clash yesterday. After two loose drives to start (given I hadn't swung a club in almost two weeks), the last five drives were all solid. Had the club set at 10.5 deg and the weight one forward from towering, and was seeing a nice flight with the old controllable fade that I had lost in the last couple of years. The best part to me though was the distance. Even with sweeping fades, there were three balls that equaled or exceeded the furthest drives I had hit on those respective holes...this was three out of five that I could compare, and I've been playing this course for almost 10 years. The Black Tie shaft really helped me keep the spin down (a major issue for me) and I feel like I could loft up even a bit more without hitting balloons.

I'd like to get out and play with the settings a bit more and see if I am able to max out the flight and distance a bit more, but I was so excited to see the good mojo I had with the F6+ in Florida return home to TN. I definitely feel like I am getting more distance and forgiveness than I was seeing out of the Great Big Bertha/Speeder 661 or Kusala Blue combos.

That's awesome Donne! The F6 is the only 'what if' I really have left from Club Clash. Hit it best on the range but never saw it on the course. Definitely in my top 3 and one I'll keep an eye out for as I love me some driver tinkering.

I've never really given much though to Cobra drivers. Probably becasue I don't run into them very often. But my local course is carrying the F6 this year. They have a demo too, regular flex only though. I will probably grab the demo and see what's up. Lots of great club clash feedback on this and the +.

I've never really given much though to Cobra drivers. Probably becasue I don't run into them very often. But my local course is carrying the F6 this year. They have a demo too, regular flex only though. I will probably grab the demo and see what's up. Lots of great club clash feedback on this and the +.

I can tell you they really surprised me at Club Clash and since. I have not been a fan of the brand since they went all Rickie Fowler rainbow, but results don't lie...they are making good stuff right now.

Back