Ben Hogan PTx Irons Review Thread

I, too, have AP2's and I'm happy to know the offset won't be greater than advertised ("Alleged")...

I thought it was interesting the offset is equally spaced between the loft "categories" for lack of a better term. Don't see that typically.

I believe it's because you don't mix and match lofts from each of the profiles to build a set.

So for example, you couldn't take a 20 from the low profile and 25 from the low-mid to build a custom set. You'd either get a 20 and 24 for the low launch profile or the 21 and 25 for the low-mid (and so on across the "categories" within each profile).

So for a lack of better words, the 20,21,22, and 23 are basically considered the "same" club. They are all meant to be 4 iron replacements that each offer a different launch.

I believe it's because you don't mix and match lofts from each of the profiles to build a set.

So for example, you couldn't take a 20 from the low profile and 25 from the low-mid to build a custom set. You'd either get a 20 and 24 for the low launch profile or the 21 and 25 for the low-mid (and so on across the "categories" within each profile).

So for a lack of better words, the 20,21,22, and 23 are basically considered the "same" club. They are all meant to be 4 iron replacements that each offer a different launch.
I would have thought the exact opposite - the profiles are just there as a guide and you can pick whichever iron you want. It will be fun to actually learn the details...we will have plenty of questions for them :)

I was actually referring to the equal .15 spacing.

I was actually referring to the equal .15 spacing.

Ah, I'm on the same page as you now. I've never really spent a lot of time looking at off-set specs between different sets so I'm not sure if random spacing or more uniform like the .15 is normal.

I know I don't like looking at a ton of off-set like on a lot of SGI sets, but small differences like between the AP1 and AP2 have never really seemed to make a difference to me.

I would have thought the exact opposite - the profiles are just there as a guide and you can pick whichever iron you want. It will be fun to actually learn the details...we will have plenty of questions for them :)

I was basing it on this quote from the PTx website:

"The 28 lofts can be arranged in four different configurations to produce exactly the right launch profile to fit your game: "

I didn't ask details about that when I called though.

Ah, I'm on the same page as you now. I've never really spent a lot of time looking at off-set specs between different sets so I'm not sure if random spacing or more uniform like the .15 is normal.

I know I don't like looking at a ton of off-set like on a lot of SGI sets, but small differences like between the AP1 and AP2 have never really seemed to make a difference to me.

Agree, I've never paid too much attention either... just if an iron "looks" right to me. The size and offset pictures I've seen on these... have that look.

7fc0cd2f45ab71b58d54ae20fab39fbf.jpg

Look what was spotted at the LPGA event this week. What's interesting is this player had them stamp iron numbers on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which player's bag?

Don't know. It was a tweet from another golf site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I went to a demo day today and the Hogan folks were there. They had the VKTR hybrids, as well as the PTx irons.

I think people who give these a shot are going to LOVE these. They're pretty small profiled, but I wasn't finding the center of the face on a few swings and the ball was getting out there. They're absolutely gorgeous. Just a great all around club.

So, I went to a demo day today and the Hogan folks were there. They had the VKTR hybrids, as well as the PTx irons.

I think people who give these a shot are going to LOVE these. They're pretty small profiled, but I wasn't finding the center of the face on a few swings and the ball was getting out there. They're absolutely gorgeous. Just a great all around club.
Well that is exciting feedback. Smallish profile plus long distances is awesome.

Well that is exciting feedback. Smallish profile plus long distances is awesome.

I was actually pretty surprised how compact they are. Nice, short-ish blade length which I'm finding I prefer.

Most excellent news!

A friend of mine went to a demo day where Hogan clubs were available. At least some of the PTx irons are similar in size to the Fort Worth 15 irons:

225616_995752580472487_5645272989279523653_n.jpg

ETA - let me know if the picture isn't working for you because the link is from a closed facebook group.

I have a warm spot for Ben Hogan Clubs. I just retired my 1975 Ben Hogan "Gold medallion irons". It was a great ride. I think any Ben Hogan products are good.

From the pic above the PTx almost looks more compact than the Ft. Worth. Might be the angle, but it sure looks good from any angle.

From the pic above the PTx almost looks more compact than the Ft. Worth. Might be the angle, but it sure looks good from any angle.

I'd say it's the angle. But they're pretty similar in size, IMO. I may go back to the demo day, if I do I'll get a side by side.

Rick Shiels review - he games the Ft Worth 15's anyway so he's quite familiar with them.

Hi version in the long irons too...good points and ticked up a couple notches to hit them.

His excitement in that video after his shots really makes me want to get my hands on these clubs.

I dreaming of the low/low set...

I am thinking the mid low set would be about right, but getting to hit them will be the key.

I have no flipping idea. After I play one last round tomorrow I'm mailing my clubs, showing up (hoping for a particular shaft) then smiling a lot when they hand me the new sticks.

Back