Titleist VG3 Type-D Irons

Yesterday I got out for an afternoon round with the VG3 Type-Ds. I didn't do any range time prior to going to the first tee...there was a 4 groups of guys & they let me get a head of them.

First off...they are larger than my previous set, Srixon 545s...& the head seems heavier...and to be honest that bothered me for the first 4-6 holes. I've played larger head clubs in the past (Callaway i-Brids) so I was able to get over it.

As for feel...they feel just as good or better than the 545s. You can tell when you get toe shots, etc...you just get a different feel.

My iron game is a work in progress...so I was definitely hit over over the face. I hit a few fat shots & still got decent distance. Also, on toe shots (my normal miss) you get really good distance. With the 545s my avg 9 iron carry distance with a good shot is 130 yards. On one hole I was 131 yards out...pulled the 9 iron...hit it clearly on the toe & still ended up pin high.

I need to get in a few range sessions....to gauge my distances & get more comfortable with the swing weight. My 6 iron carry distance is normally 160 yards....today I landed a green that was 169 yards.

So far so good...I think buying these & getting fit was a good decision. It was my first time with a real fitting. My club HOing days are over
:clapp:

bobgeorge- I live in Virginia. Where did you get fitted for these clubs? I would love to try them.

bobgeorge- I live in Virginia. Where did you get fitted for these clubs? I would love to try them.

I got fit for the optimal shafts at Club Champion in Rockville, MD. The don't have the heads at CC. I bought the heads off a guy on a different site. You can also buy the heads at Tourspecgolf.com. The site specializes in JDM.

Back