2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the gym after over a week off due to illness. Squatted for the first time in about a month, and it felt alright; slightly sore back, but not as bad as it was when I quit, though the weight was about 100 lbs lighter. I think part of my problem might be losing my brace at the bottom during my later work sets. The first few feel good, then I get tired and my brace gets weaker and I think that's when I strain my back. I'll keep working on it and seeing if I can tighten up or otherwise change something to keep my back healthy.

Bench went fine, but due to some poor planning, we benched on Monday as well and were still feeling a little sore from that; got 2 reps at my work weight before failing and having to deload to finish.

Finally, deads, wonderful deads. Hit another new 5RM tonight and it felt really good. I think I finally figured out how tight the belt should be to assist without limiting my breath, and my back felt great afterwards where it is usually a little sore. The weight was heavy, but I feel like I've got more progress in me, and I'm excited about the next chance to pull heavy.

It's amazing how even a week away from the gym can feel like a long time, and really make me miss lifting; something I never thought I'd be saying.

High elbows row. It's essentially the same position as an upright row. It's what causes impingement. It's bad news.

And to be clear, I am not saying to do the lifts on the left of that graphic. I'm just saying the movements on the right side are dumb.

Bottoms up carries and presses are great, but take time to be able to do. Not something I'd suggest someone just grab a kettlebell and start with.

Bottoms up carries and presses are great, but take time to be able to do. Not something I'd suggest someone just grab a kettlebell and start with.
I thinking there are better grip strength and shoulder strength options. But with that, I think having a relatively new lifter try and hold a kettlebell bottoms up is dumb.

1205 total is complete, 450 was a warmup. Time to go get more.

Light opener, alright 2nd, followed by a PR

Last edited:
1205 total is complete. Time to go get more.

Light opener, alright 2nd, followed by a PR

NICE! That PR didn't even look like too much of a struggle! Quest for 1250 total!

NICE! That PR didn't even look like too much of a struggle! Quest for 1250 total!
Squat: 425
Bench Press: 325
Deadlift: 505
total: 1255.

That's a good weeks work for me.

Squat: 425
Bench Press: 325
Deadlift: 505
total: 1255.

That's a good weeks work for me.
Then a quest for 1300 it is! haha

https://vimeo.com/163054864

First time hitting 405 tonight. Looked a lot easier than it felt, still felt pretty damn good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked light. Good work.

Thanks! Also, this was my first workout in my new pioneer belt. It came in about 4 hours before deadlifts.
9901d9d7935a18fd42eeb7d8d4127903.jpg

4791be95cbd6a14690732877d5407f33.jpg

Thanks! Also, this was my first workout in my new pioneer belt. It came in about 4 hours before deadlifts.
9901d9d7935a18fd42eeb7d8d4127903.jpg

4791be95cbd6a14690732877d5407f33.jpg
Smoked that dude! Nice pull and nice belt! Im very satisfied with my belt from them as well.

Joe congrats on your total dude! Thats a hefty number

Another goal down. I'm the newest member to the 1000 lb club.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nice, that's one of my long term goals. I'm a ways away, but it keeps me going.

After just starting back squatting last week, bumped up to a body weight squat today (40 lbs jump), and that may have been a bad idea. Got the lift, but it sapped my energy and missed my deadlift and I'm pretty sore tonight.

This was today. I am getting stronger with this plan even though I'm eating at a pretty decent deficit still. Color me surprised

a1b387e2eef86fab7158a04369058b2b.jpg

Nice, that's one of my long term goals. I'm a ways away, but it keeps me going.

After just starting back squatting last week, bumped up to a body weight squat today (40 lbs jump), and that may have been a bad idea. Got the lift, but it sapped my energy and missed my deadlift and I'm pretty sore tonight.
I got out golfing 3 times last week, meaning I got to the gym 1 day last week, and honestly I feel that week off was very refreshing. I felt great in the gym today.

I worked arms and legs today.

Worked my way up through squats, when I got to 315 I did 3 reps but didn't like the way the 2nd rep felt so I did 315x3 for a one rep max of 339. So I still felt great so I through 335 on the bar and put that up, while I won't say easy, I felt it was smooth.

Also did curls 4x10 @ 70

DB tricep ext, reverse curls, calf raises, HKR, HHH, plate rotations, and side extensions.

Congrats man! Id like to join you someday

Congrats man! Id like to join you someday
I know you'll get there! It was nice to hit that after a crappy round of golf.

I know you'll get there! It was nice to hit that after a crappy round of golf.

Nothing like weights to get the frustration out. Oh and i sure hope so haha I'm working my way up nicely and realize it just takes time.

Meant to post this last night but passed out early. Had a great workout last night with the instructor last night. We started with rowing intervals, seeing how fast we could row 300m and having to do that 5 rounds. I was pretty proud of the fact that I kept my times to about 57-58 seconds for each round, where the other guys were taking over a minute. We then moved to deadlifts, medicine ball slams and a couple of shoulder exercises. We then moved to medicine ball swings, where we stood about 4-5 feet from a wall, simulated a swing, really hinging on our front leg and driving through like a normal swing, releasing the ball against the wall, and catching on return to start again. We did it from both sides (right handed was awkward for me). Then moved to speed swings with weighted shafts before finishing the session with about 10 minutes of stretching.

Tried pulling 275 for the first time and it came up pretty easily, I'm excited about that! I think I've got 315 in the bag but i won't know till i try. Will likely give it a whirl soon and i really wanted 3 plates as my initial goal starting off so it'll be cool to cross it off.

15% off custom belts at pioneerfit today if anyone is looking for a belt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back