Anyone ever Putt in a bunker?

mesaman777

Reaction score
Handicap
~
I was playing with a twosome on Monday, one of the guy's hits into a greenside pot bunker pin high. His ball lands up against a steep face. He had no back swing, couldn't get a stance to play sideways front because the ball would have been 3 feet below his feet, sideways back was nothing but tall unplayable grass, his only option was to putt the ball to the center of the bunker so he could play out. It was really his only play. He couldn't take an unplayable, because there was no where to drop the ball in the bunker that wouldn't be closer to the pin. Anyone ever have to play this shot?

I've putted out of a bunker before when the sand was super firm without much lip, but never putted farther into the bunker.

The Texas Wedge!

Yea, I have done that a couple of times. I have also putted out of a bunker that had concrete for sand and no lip.

I know a guy who putts from every green side bunker that has little to no lip

The toe of the putter is one of my go to shots on embedded balls in the bunker. Probably do it 2 or 3 times a year.

I'm certain I have putted out of bunkers at some point in my golfing life, probably the packed sand, no lip scenario. I'd probably try that now if the conditions were right. I just never recall seeing a player putt to a playable position inside of a bunker. I will say he handled it well, even joked about it. Almost made the up and down for bogey.

I have done it a few times when the bunker is almost concrete like. Had decent results but not something I would get in the habit of.

Never putted, but have used a 7 iron on the occasion when there little to no lip.

As others have said, when the sand is more like concrete, the putter works just fine!

Yep, I had almost the exact scenario once and tapped it back down to the center of the bunker. About the only play I could think of.

My wife is the master at this. Eighty yard bunker shot? No problem

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've putted out of a bunker before when the sand was super firm without much lip, but never putted farther into the bunker.

Same here

There have been a few cases where it has made sense to putt out of a bunker. In one case I had to putt away from a 6 ft wall to even get out of that particular bunker. I have also seen this done in the Open Championship a few times. Don't know if I would want to make it common practice though.

Good idea.. will try it next time. I had one of those lyes today and closed the face of a 9 iron

I have a video of 441 doing this.

I've done it.

I don't think some of you fancy pants understand how bad muni "bunkers " can get.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

562ece1a0483301c434cdf1ab5274542.jpg

I've done it several times out of hard bunkers after it rains. If there isn't much lip, just use it as a ramp and let the ball roll out towards the hole.

There is absolutely no situation where I would putt while in a bunker. None.
I suppose the shot could have been played left handed with a flipped around wedge for those who practice that shot, I hadn't even considered that shot until now. I'm gonna try it next Saturday.

Last edited:
I have a 4 rules for greenside bunker play -- in this order of importance:

1. Get the ball out
2. Get the ball on the green
3. Move the ball towards the hole
4. Get the ball close to the hole

Using a putter when the lip is not an issue is much more consistent for 1-3. #4 is more problematic, but often works just as well as the wedge.

So, I putt out of bunkers all the time if there's not much lip and the ball is sitting up sufficiently.

Later,

John

I have never putted out of a bunker nor have I witnessed it.

I have putted out of a bunker. It was flatter than the green. Almost made birdie too.

I put out of a bunker yesterday twice.... Eaglesvsfalcons went putter lefty for a 60yard wedge shot out of one as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back