Question About Great Big Bertha Hosel Adjustment

Papaw

Reaction score
I just bought a GBB 5 wood, used, from Golfsmith. Looking on the Callaway website for settings and looks like the inner ring (next to head) is Bias and outer ring is loft. The bias instruction doesn't mention what the +1 is used for and the loft instruction doesn't list what the N is used for. Loft options just lists S, +1, +2, -1 and Lie options just lists N, and D.
What am I missing?

I just bought a GBB 5 wood, used, from Golfsmith. Looking on the Callaway website for settings and looks like the inner ring (next to head) is Bias and outer ring is loft. The bias instruction doesn't mention what the +1 is used for and the loft instruction doesn't list what the N is used for. Loft options just lists S, +1, +2, -1 and Lie options just lists N, and D.
What am I missing?
Your understanding is incorrect. The cogs are independent. What I do is select the loft first (-1, S [stated], +1, or +2) and then line up the selected face angle (Neutral or Draw).

If you try to put anything else together, it won't let you. Easiest way to get it done.

I just bought my first diver with Hosel Adjustment, so it is new to me also. But I think they have value. +1 means one more degree loft. S mean stated loft on the club. Then you can go plus or minus a degree. For the lie N means neutral setting. And D mean draw setting if you want to hook. For me I had it set to S for stated setting of 10.5 for my driver. I was hitting it too high, so I set it to -1 which is 9.5 degree and it was just right. I kept the lie at N for neutral. When I changed to D it hooked too much. Good luck.

What am I missing?

To explain it another way, the available options are exactly as you listed: Loft: S (stated), +1, +2, -1 and Lie: N (neutral), and D (draw). You can have any combination of those loft and lie values, but in some cases the loft will be on the inner ring (with the lie on the outer ring), and in others the loft will be on the outer ring (with the lie on the inner ring).

It seems a little confusing at first, but you'll find you can't pick an option where both rings have loft selected (or both lie).

Also, make sure you have the line the shaft adapter lined up with the ring values you want, lined up with the loft on the club head hosel, otherwise it'll be setup for something completely different to what you're expecting...

That is confusing (to me) since the lie and loft use both rings. I don't see why they have a S and +1 on the Lie ring. Only other adjustable I had was Titeleist D2 and their chart was very clear cut. Thanks for the help!

That is confusing (to me) since the lie and loft use both rings. I don't see why they have a S and +1 on the Lie ring. Only other adjustable I had was Titeleist D2 and their chart was very clear cut. Thanks for the help!

Once you get used to it it's very straight forward. I've used several other adjustable woods (Titlest included) and I think the Optifit hosel is by far the best because you don't have to spin the shaft.

Back