Thread: Slow Play Ranting: Golf Unfiltered

***Team THP 2018***

Handicap
    RCGA 7.7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9,940 Posts
    Yeah this is really frustrating. So many guys get bent out of shape if you walk ahead of them at all, even if you're 30 yards over to the side.
    I always try to be polite but I won't stop ready-golf in a casual setting.
    Epic Flash 9.5* [Tour AD-IZ 7x]
    Epic Flash Sub Zero 15* [Tour AD-IZ 7x]
    Big Bertha 3H & 4H [Tour AD-DI 95 S]
    Apex Pro '19 5-AW [DG Tour Issue 120 S-400]
    MD4 56* S-Grind & PM Grind 60* [DG Tour Issue 120 S-400]
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Chrome Soft X

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmyGolf For This Useful Post:

alexped2393 (07-12-2019), rollin (07-12-2019)

"Just playin golf pally" rollin's Avatar
    Handicap
    16-3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyGolf View Post
    Yeah this is really frustrating. So many guys get bent out of shape if you walk ahead of them at all, even if you're 30 yards over to the side.
    i say to them..."get over yopurself"
    The only thing i hate is the bag carrier who just has to flip his bag (clinkedy clink) on his shoulder and start walking (clinkiduclikidy) from the tee while your in the midst of your back swing.
    And leaving people flat and not being wiling to asist in tracking flights and offering search help when practical. That part imo is part of being inefficient as a group
    I golf because I can But I stink because I can't

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin View Post
    i say to them..."get over yopurself"
    The only thing i hate is the bag carrier who just has to flip his bag (clinkedy clink) on his shoulder and start walking (clinkiduclikidy) from the tee while your in the midst of your back swing.
    And leaving people flat and not being wiling to asist in tracking flights and offering search help when practical. That part imo is part of being inefficient as a group
    Clinkedy clink is music to my ears ;)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alexped2393 For This Useful Post:

rollin (07-12-2019)

Handicap
    #
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,033 Posts
    It must just be my week for slow play because I got stuck behind another slow group yesterday evening. Only this time it was a twosome in a cart. It was all the typical stuff - they hit 4-5 balls off the tee between the two of them, hit some wayward shots, and then one of the two had a 2 minute pre-shot routine just to get a sub-par result. I would have skipped ahead, but there were people on every hole, so I wasn't sure there was really anywhere I could go. Holes 5, 6, and 7 make a loop so I thought about jumping to 7 and then coming back to 5&6 because there was nobody behind us, but there was a similar group out on 7 so we would have just been sitting around waiting there as well.

At least we were on the course, so I can't complain too much.
    OGIO Silencer Stand Bag
    Driver: PXG 0811X 7.5*, PX EvenFlow Blk 75/6.5
    Fairway: PXG 0341 13.5*, PX EvenFlow Blk 75/6.5
    Irons: PXG 0311T 3-PW, TT Dynamic Gold TI X100
    Wedges: PXG 0311 50*/54*/58*, TT DG TI X100
    Putter: PXG Bat Attack H, SS Flatso 1.0 Black
    Today's Ball: Snell MTB-X
    Precision Pro NX7 Pro Range Finder

Handicap
    Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyGolf View Post
    Sometimes people do this for safety reason. You ever been hit, or nearly hit, by a screeching 3W whilst standing 30 yards over to the side? I have. And I've hit others. And just because someone does this doesn't mean they are necessarily playing slow. People spend their time on the course in different ways.
    Spoiler
    M9 Cart Bag
    M1 2017
    Exotics EX10 Beta 4W (16.5*)
    King F7 #3-4H (19.5*)
    Edge 5-PW
    F8 5-GW
    RTX-3 CB 54* & 68*
    TFI 2135 1.0
    Z Star

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    492 Posts
    I had probably the slowest round ever at my local course. They've done some huge improvements, which is like a gift and a curse. It's nice to have a course 10 minutes from my house that's not an absolute dirt and mud track (which it used to be). The downside is that it's a lot busier than it used to be. I used to be able to hop on any time, no tee time needed and bang out 9 holes in an hour and a half tops. This particular day it was like a who's who of 4 somes that you would hate to have in front of you. At points there was a 4 some on the green, a 4some waiting to hit to the green, and group on the tee box and another group waiting on them. The groups were 1.) A group of Elderly women walking 2.) A guy with his 3 kids 3.) A young guy with 3 women he was "teaching" and then my group. I was a single, paired up with a 3 some of older guys who were great. Decent players, good banter and all around nice guys with a politically incorrect sense of humor which I can appreciate. The only reason I stuck around was because these guys were pretty funny, and they would make little side bets while waiting...They would make $1 dollar bets on the distance the ladies shot would go, which would shank it, chipping contests....They were just happy to be out, and their positive attitude was contagious because I know I would have had a sour puss on my face the whole round, had I been playing alone.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boston_golfer For This Useful Post:

Canio (07-15-2019), Payne (07-12-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Sometimes people do this for safety reason. You ever been hit, or nearly hit, by a screeching 3W whilst standing 30 yards over to the side? I have. And I've hit others. And just because someone does this doesn't mean they are necessarily playing slow. People spend their time on the course in different ways.
    I agree with the safety concern. I spent almost 30 years with a manufacturing company and the office was attached to the shop. Safety first was drilled into our heads every day. If someone was not wearing their safety glasses, you were expected to call them out. I can’t imagine hitting with someone in front of you, even off to the side, being acceptable in a safety first mindset. If Rory or DJ are up ahead of Tiger, they are pretty safe. If they’re up ahead of most casual golfers, they should be behind a tree. LOL
    WITB

R1 @12*
    Super S 3W @ 15*, 5W @ 18*
    Super S 2H thru 6H
    Super S 5i thru SW
    O-Works 2-Ball Putter

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Imaginos For This Useful Post:

DonJuan (07-12-2019)

Handicap
    GHIN 1.2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,391 Posts
    Playing from the wrong tees has been mentioned several times. One of the things that contributes to that is the fact that every course doesn't utilize "combo" tees. That leads to this: Senior tees are 5100; the group decides that is way too short so they move back to the next set of tees, the Whites which are 6000, a 900 yard difference! Or guys look at the Whites and say 6000 is too short so let's play the blues, only the blues are 650 yards longer, The difference in distance between two sets of tees is too much for many to handle. Guys won't play their own "made up" set of combo tees because they are not rated. At the Hideaway the Dye course, for example, has 5 sets of tees but three additional sets of combo tees and each set of tees are only separated by about 500 yards, give or take, to start with. That makes for a course length that can be comfortable for any group of players.
    Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 Grandaddy with Callaway

In my Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag:

Driver: Epic Flash 10.5 (+1/D) - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
    FWs: 3W (+1/N) Epic Flash* - 5W (S/N) Epic Flash - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
    Hybrid: Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) - Recoil 760 Shaft F2
    Irons: Apex '19 5-AW - Recoil 760 Shafts F2
    Wedges: 52S* /56C MD4 / 60 PM 2.0 Grind* - all w/ Recoil 460 Shafts F2
    Putter: Stroke Lab Double Wide or Toulon Portland
    Ball: ERC Soft or Chrome Soft
    * Interchangeable - I carry 2 out of the three

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Phil75070 For This Useful Post:

radiman (07-12-2019)

Jedi Knight
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,078 Posts
    To anyone who hasn't listened to the Podcast check it out it is very good.
    Morgan Cup 2018 Team Paradise Cobra Ultralight Bag
    F8 Tour Length Project X Even Flow Blue 65g 5.5
    F8 3/4 Fairway Project XEven Flow Blue 65g 5.5
    F8 3/4 Hybrid Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap
    F8 2/3 UT Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap
    King Forged TEC 5-GW Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap
    King wedges 56Ver + 60Ver Recoil 95
    Putter: SeeMore SI5
    Ball: Calloway Chrome Soft Truvis.
    Special thanks to
    #THP #TeamParadise #MorganCup2018 #CPG
    Proud Member of Team Paradise 2018 Morgan Cup Champions!!!

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    The cart I've been riding has been hit twice while doing this. Hard.

I only move forward now if:

1. I'm in the opposite side of the fairway and the player hitting isn't wild. Some players are just too wild to chance it.

2. There is a tree or two I can get behind. Or Hillside, or something.

I don't mind if people move in front of me (although they should consider #1 above). But before I hit I always call out just to make sure they're paying attention.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Antihero For This Useful Post:

DonJuan (07-13-2019), Imaginos (07-14-2019), Phil75070 (07-13-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    344 Posts
    Saturday I got matched up with that guy. He used the line on the ball, lined it up super carefully, making subtle, subtle adjustments to get it juuuuuuuuussssssttt right. I have seen a lot of people do this, usually they are low handicap guys who stalk the entire green, line their putt up super carefully and 2-putt a lot, taking an immense amount of time.

So after he lines it, relines it, adjusts it, corrects it, makes an alteration to it, matches it perfectly, he steps up...and whacks it 15' past the hole. Does the exact same routine...and leaves it 8 feet short. Followed by the same routine and leaving it 4' short. Oh, the humanity...

it is bad enough when the low cappers do it but when someone that cannot putt does it...I mean, seriously, he only played 9 holes, nice kid, but an abominable putter...please don't do the whole line thing. If you cannot get within 50% proximity of the hole from where your putt starts, it really does not matter if your line is good, bad or indifferent. Learn to get the ball paced correctly to get in the same zip code as the hole before you decide 1/100th of a millimeter to the right is the correct line.

This is not usually a crime I associate with high cappers, but on this day...that was 9 holes of misery on the greens watching him miss by more than half the distance he was trying to attain.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to darthweasel For This Useful Post:

OldeDude (07-15-2019)

feelz good 2 b a Gsta

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,538 Posts
    i got stuck behind a slow foursome yesterday. sure they hit some poor shots, but that's not what was frustrating re: their speed. it was the far too long routines. the chatting on the tee box (despite a wide open fairway). going back and forth to the cart. not being ready to hit. just generally no regard at all for me as a single behind them.
    awesomeness
    perfection
    innovation
    excellence
    brilliance
    pioneering
    leading
    redefining

Humbled, honored, and beaming with excitement to be the Captain (what, CAPTAIN???) of Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy with

20. The Following User Says Thank You to McLovin For This Useful Post:

radiman (07-15-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    i got stuck behind a slow foursome yesterday. sure they hit some poor shots, but that's not what was frustrating re: their speed. it was the far too long routines. the chatting on the tee box (despite a wide open fairway). going back and forth to the cart. not being ready to hit. just generally no regard at all for me as a single behind them.
    That's my biggest issue right there. People can be so oblivious to what is going on around them. Whether it's because they don't care, or just flat out aren't paying attention. Doesn't matter. Heads up golf is not difficult. But, how does the message get spread? I still think there needs to be a grass roots type action taken.
    REPRESENTING THP IN THE 2019 GRANDADDY!!!!!

Contestant in #THPSweep

Handicap
    The Clock
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15,505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    My last 5 18 hole rounds - by time: Time based on Cobra Connect App

Oldest to Most Recent:

Friday 1pm Shotgun start - away course @pandapicks Member/Guest with Carts: 4:15:25

Wednesday 6am single walking - away course (lots of walking between holes, waiting on maintenance crew and paying at the pro shop while making the turn) probably 30 minutes quicker than the Cobra Connect time: 2:44:17

Friday (after 4th of July) 8am Tee Time 3some two carts, stuck behind a 4some with two walkers that held up the course 4:08:56

Played same course back in April 9am Saturday tee time - walking as a 3some 4:24:52

Wednesday Sunrise Walking 2some - home course - 2:38:39

Saturday 5:42am Tee Time - 2 some, cart - 3:03:32 - course sent people off the back for 9 holes - we played the front in 1:15 - the two guys we caught, were older gentleman and they did not park their cart in the right spots when it took one of them a good amount of time to move around (the course should have provided them a handicap placard and let them drive closer to greens) of course I'm bitching about 15-30 of waiting so in the grand scheme who cares.

Two rounds walking that were 13 and 14 holes at my home course: Both sunrise tee times.

13 holes a Thursday am 1:51:32 bit of waiting after making the turn, reason why I only played 13 holes

14 holes this morning 1:50:04 sunrise no waiting, but would have slowed down for the last 4 so peaced out.

I like to play fast is the moral of my story?
    F9 Speedback Avalanche 10.5 Driver HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
    F9 Speedback Yellow 14.5 Fwy HZRDUS Red 75
    F9 Speedback Pink 18.5 Fwy HZRDUS Red 65
    F9 Speedback 4i Catalyst 80 6.0
    F9 Speedback Pink 5-GW Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
    King Black 52/56/60 Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

NEAD 8802 303 Stainless; Bronze Face/Bronze Stripe Rear Flange

Black Cobra Connect UTX
    Hybrid
    Truvis Shaka Ball

23. The Following User Says Thank You to OITW For This Useful Post:

pandapicks (07-15-2019)

Nastiest Hater
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    747 Posts
    Saturday morning I saw a first on the course. I was lucky enough join the first tee time (6am) as a walk-on single. The course also lets out 9-hole play until 7:30am on the back 9 (which no one is thrilled about, as the latest they should allow that is 7am to give enough window for the quick morning groups). Needless to say, we caught the 7:30am back 9 group on hole 15 (and we were not playing that quick either as we were on a ~4 hour pace prior to catching them). They were doing the typical things associated with slow play (not playing ready golf, exaggerated pre-shot routines to only hit the ball 10 yards, talking on tee box and in fairway, etc.). The one thing that completely blew my mind was on the 18th hole. One of the players was about 4-5 yards off the front right portion of the green, he proceeded to take 3-4 minutes to hit his chip shot and then skulled to about 2-3 yards over the back-end of the green. He then decided to walk over to his cart which was on the cart path about 15-20 yards to his right (and already next to the green), jump in the cart and drive it up 8-10 yards, get out and walked 25-30 yards back to the left and hit another two shots with the exact same club he hit the first chip shot with. For those keeping score at home, they played 9 holes in 2 hours and 50 minutes.
    "Have Some" - BuckNasty

Driver - KING F9 Speedback 9 w/ ATMOS TS Black 7X
    3W - KING F9 Speedback 13.5 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0
    5W - KING F9 Speedback 17.5 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0
    4-GW Irons - KING F9 Speedback w/ Pro Modus3 Tour 120 Stiff
    Wedges - KING Black Wedge 54 Versatile & 58 WideLow w/ Dynamic Gold S200 Black
    Putter - Evnroll ER3 / Tommy Armour Impact No. 3
    Ball - Z-Star XV / Vice Pro
    Glove - Pur Tour / Vice Pure
    Shoe - Ignite PWRADAPT

Proud member of Team Hackers @ the 2019 Morgan Cup
    Special thanks to