What are your thoughts on using AI in the golf world?

I can't wait to see how AI changes the industry going forward. I really think it could be one of the most revolutionary additions the industry has ever seen. Think about how many models a computer can produce vs. the traditionally strategy. Callaway AI produce over 15,000 models/designs for Flash. That's crazy and it was for only one club. I can't wait to see what it brings to irons in the future, especially considering what advances have been made recently without it.

Part of me believes that in the near future if your company doesn't have access to something like Callaway's super computer you're going to be left in the dust.

It's a timely question for me. I actually have an IBM presentation pulled up "IoT Market Outlook and Insights."
IMG_1337.jpg

I started my new company all around Industry 4.0 and the Digital Transformation. A.I. is a major part of it. What we will start seeing is more technology like Arccos, where each and every golf swing on the course is recorded and processed in the cloud - in Arccos' case Microsoft Azure. These sensors will get smarter and not just utilize GPS - accelerator and gyroscope info will be introduced and pushed to the cloud. Before we know it, that data will be processed, analyzed and correlated and that data will be used to build a better golf club, help us with our big miss or help us get virtually fitted to a new set of golf clubs.

There is so much cool stuff going on right now.

It's a timely question for me. I actually have an IBM presentation pulled up "IoT Market Outlook and Insights."
View attachment 39881

I started my new company all around Industry 4.0 and the Digital Transformation. A.I. is a major part of it. What we will start seeing is more technology like Arccos, where each and every golf swing on the course is recorded and processed in the cloud - in Arccos' case Microsoft Azure. These sensors will get smarter and not just utilize GPS - accelerator and gyroscope info will be introduced and pushed to the cloud. Before we know it, that data will be processed, analyzed and correlated and that data will be used to build a better golf club, help us with our big miss or help us get virtually fitted to a new set of golf clubs.

There is so much cool stuff going on right now.

In terms of data being used for golf swings, the Callaway people were not on board yet. They didn't believe the AI incorporation of products like Arccos would be mainstream to most golfers for some time. I directly asked about Callaway and Arccos and they asked back how many actually use that type of software? I believe more golfers will incorporate the swing analytics in time, but I also think it will be some time before products like Arccos are mainstream in every golfer's hands.

I do think AI is the way of the future, and will be surprised if we don't see the other OEM companies not incorporating the use of AI in club manufacturing over the next year or two.

Back