Index versus Handicap

Tee/Ski

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What's the difference between these two? I had always thought my handicap was what's listed on the main screen of my GHIN app or on Grint as they are pretty similar. So as of right now it's listed as 11.5 on GHIN and 11.3 on Grint. However, last night I was asked this question and I said 11.5. At the club house someone looked me up and said my handicap (C.H.) was actually 14 (was playing in a league).

So, which is the proper one to use? I don't want to boast and state my handicap is 11.5 when it's actually 14 but on the flip side, why is 11.5 (and not 14) on the main screen of my GHIN? And why is nothing but 11.3 index listed for Grint?

What's the difference between these two? I had always thought my handicap was what's listed on the main screen of my GHIN app or on Grint as they are pretty similar. So as of right now it's listed as 11.5 on GHIN and 11.3 on Grint. However, last night I was asked this question and I said 11.5. At the club house someone looked me up and said my handicap (C.H.) was actually 14 (was playing in a league).

So, which is the proper one to use? I don't want to boast and state my handicap is 11.5 when it's actually 14 but on the flip side, why is 11.5 (and not 14) on the main screen of my GHIN? And why is nothing but 11.3 index listed for Grint?

The Index is your Handicap Index. The course handicap is your HI applied to the specific course you are playing, using the slope.

Example. Your HI is 11.5. Your course handicap will be your HI multiplied by the slope divided by the standard slope (113). Then round that number to the nearest whole stroke.

On a slope of 124, your CH is 11.5x124/113 = 12.6 => 13

Edited to add: the difference between Grint and GHIN might be due to inaccurate rating and slope in Grint. Ghin should be correct

Most people nowadays state their index when asked what their handicap is in a general conversation.

But when you’re getting ready to play at a specific course, it makes sense to give your course handicap. That’s what determines how many strokes you get or do you have in a game.

I think if someone just wants to know your game (i.e. "what's your handicap"?), use your index. I don't think it makes much sense having to explain that you're a 15 at Oakmont and a 10 at the local pitch n putt. Obviously course handicap if trying to determine strokes.

The Index is your Handicap Index. The course handicap is your HI applied to the specific course you are playing, using the slope.

Example. Your HI is 11.5. Your course handicap will be your HI multiplied by the slope divided by the standard slope (113). Then round that number to the nearest whole stroke.

On a slope of 124, your CH is 11.5x124/113 = 12.6 => 13

Edited to add: the difference between Grint and GHIN might be due to inaccurate rating and slope in Grint. Ghin should be correct

Thanks for the clarification. I now understand. My Handicap is 18, but at my home course it is 22. Never understood why.

Good explanations here. Moral is if asked in convo what your handicap is then give you index. If asked for betting purposes with $$$ on the line make sure to apply the course handicap and make sure all others are doing the same for a fair match.

Back