Visio putting aids

mancest

Went to the Grandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have purchased a couple of the visio putting Aids myself (the Mi template and the gates) then we got the putting mirror as well at the Odyssey Experience. I really like the gates, the Template I don't find myself using much and I finally busted out the mirror last night..... and I am a big fan. I am not 100% sure if I am using it right, but I tried to line myself up over the same spot and I started hitting putts on line through the gate and almost sticking several in my Puttout from 5'

Anyone have a more detailed explanation of how to properly use a putting mirror?

I’d like to hear some thoughts on how to use the mirror properly too. As soon as I get my backyard putting green repaired I’d like to give the mirror some use.

I have purchased a couple of the visio putting Aids myself (the Mi template and the gates) then we got the putting mirror as well at the Odyssey Experience. I really like the gates, the Template I don't find myself using much and I finally busted out the mirror last night..... and I am a big fan. I am not 100% sure if I am using it right, but I tried to line myself up over the same spot and I started hitting putts on line through the gate and almost sticking several in my Puttout from 5'

Anyone have a more detailed explanation of how to properly use a putting mirror?

I’d like to hear some thoughts on how to use the mirror properly too. As soon as I get my backyard putting green repaired I’d like to give the mirror some use.

Huge putting mirror fan and proponent.

When I get the kiddos down tonight (solo night!) I’ll come back around and put in some thoughts and comments on using a mirror

This is my home setup:

4fc251f675fb8ccef95e72ae4fcb2e40.jpg

0d3d7422fa3204e6c2d1f9c45aeefea0.jpg

@Jman when you get a chance would love to hear how you use this with your players, I haven't found much on it but have been using it at home and trying to line myself up on the same spot and putted really great yesterday.

@Jman when you get a chance would love to hear how you use this with your players, I haven't found much on it but have been using it at home and trying to line myself up on the same spot and putted really great yesterday.

Totally forgot to come back in here dude, give me a few to get the twins lunch set up and I’ll jump in

Totally forgot to come back in here dude, give me a few to get the twins lunch set up and I’ll jump in

No hurry man, nothing urgent.

Thanks!

First time out on a putting green and here is how I set it up:

10’ from the hole on a 2 degree right to left breaking putt:

d2a1b620ef105e24c7411f15bb1a79f7.jpg

129a8d134718d7bacf4648aae5bcb873.jpg

I am setting up with my left eye over the orange tee and I drained 8/9 putts after I got it on the right line.

Hey @Mancest

So, we use a few different mirrors in practice throughout the year, my biggest pro to them is that I can really get the kids to check their own posture. In my opinion, the eye position feedback is the absolute most critical aspect of getting more repeatable on the greens, make it consistent then the stroke can become more consistent.

Two schools. One is eyes over ball, the other is eyes essentially over the heel of the putter (I subscribe here). The beauty of the mirror is you can make damn sure you’re there through the whole stroke.

I know some shy from mirrors because they believe the thickness of the mirror is a detriment to their putting and effects them negatively. I’m sure that’s why every touring pro uses one :alien:

A standard mirror is more limited than others with how it’s marked up, we like the Visio ones like you have because they’re easy to do a variety of hate drills with them (this is why I’m moving my team to PuttOut mirrors this year, their magnetic gates don’t require grass to practice). I would encourage you to work on staggering the gates positions at times, meaning one of my favorite for our kids is two tees on the inside like you have there, but take the two outside tees and move them BACK a couple slots to make sure the putter isn’t sneaking outside on the arc of the backstroke. You can move these gates a lot of ways to really work on what your miss is, I love it for kids who try to cut across the ball.

My other favorite is more simple, posture and start points. I’ll make the kids set up away from any holes, usually towards the fringe, and place a dime first 1 foot in front, then two, then three, and make them practice rolling the ball on that start line again and again. I’m not a big fan of trying to use the mirror with big breaking putts, it’s hard to line up correctly and can make that practice feel cumbersome so their interest wanes quickly. They love the dime drill though.

Hope this helps?

Great information guys! Mancest i like how you set that up on the green will be on my to do list soon!

Hey @Mancest

So, we use a few different mirrors in practice throughout the year, my biggest pro to them is that I can really get the kids to check their own posture. In my opinion, the eye position feedback is the absolute most critical aspect of getting more repeatable on the greens, make it consistent then the stroke can become more consistent.

Two schools. One is eyes over ball, the other is eyes essentially over the heel of the putter (I subscribe here). The beauty of the mirror is you can make damn sure you’re there through the whole stroke.

I know some shy from mirrors because they believe the thickness of the mirror is a detriment to their putting and effects them negatively. I’m sure that’s why every touring pro uses one :alien:

A standard mirror is more limited than others with how it’s marked up, we like the Visio ones like you have because they’re easy to do a variety of hate drills with them (this is why I’m moving my team to PuttOut mirrors this year, their magnetic gates don’t require grass to practice). I would encourage you to work on staggering the gates positions at times, meaning one of my favorite for our kids is two tees on the inside like you have there, but take the two outside tees and move them BACK a couple slots to make sure the putter isn’t sneaking outside on the arc of the backstroke. You can move these gates a lot of ways to really work on what your miss is, I love it for kids who try to cut across the ball.

My other favorite is more simple, posture and start points. I’ll make the kids set up away from any holes, usually towards the fringe, and place a dime first 1 foot in front, then two, then three, and make them practice rolling the ball on that start line again and again. I’m not a big fan of trying to use the mirror with big breaking putts, it’s hard to line up correctly and can make that practice feel cumbersome so their interest wanes quickly. They love the dime drill though.

Hope this helps?

Really informative and makes me think I wasn’t using it wrong. I really like the slight lip as I see a better roll with a slight hover of the putter off the ground and this encourages that.

Thanks @Jman. I haven’t used the mirror since receiving, but now have a better understanding on how to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good write @Jman, thanks! Like your setup
@Mancest and I’ll need to get my Visio out soon.

So had kind of a poopy putting round Saturday, (3 3 putts and a 4 putt), 2 of them were because of real poor distance control (I got real aggressive trying to make putts) the 4 jack was on a putt where I would have been delighted with a 2 putt and been fine with a 3 putt but like the other 3 putt, I pulled the short putt hard left and missed.

Went to the practice range, got out my mirror and the red gate. Set the gate about 18" in front of the mirror and first 3 I either slammed straight into the left side of the gate or at least caught it partially.... I flattened out the putter head at address by choking down about a half inch (the toe was getting up prior) and this also flattened the arc of my take away and bang I was rolling through the gate and making at least 2/3s of a 15+ foot putt.

This has become my favorite drill to do at the course. We had a board meeting and 3 guys came over and asked me what I was doing and were pretty impressed with the setup. Need to keep doing these drills as I slacked off last week (played twice and spent 2 days at the vet instead of practicing) and the pay off is so great for even 20-40 minutes of practice in a week.

So had kind of a poopy putting round Saturday, (3 3 putts and a 4 putt), 2 of them were because of real poor distance control (I got real aggressive trying to make putts) the 4 jack was on a putt where I would have been delighted with a 2 putt and been fine with a 3 putt but like the other 3 putt, I pulled the short putt hard left and missed.

Went to the practice range, got out my mirror and the red gate. Set the gate about 18" in front of the mirror and first 3 I either slammed straight into the left side of the gate or at least caught it partially.... I flattened out the putter head at address by choking down about a half inch (the toe was getting up prior) and this also flattened the arc of my take away and bang I was rolling through the gate and making at least 2/3s of a 15+ foot putt.

This has become my favorite drill to do at the course. We had a board meeting and 3 guys came over and asked me what I was doing and were pretty impressed with the setup. Need to keep doing these drills as I slacked off last week (played twice and spent 2 days at the vet instead of practicing) and the pay off is so great for even 20-40 minutes of practice in a week.

I wanna see a Mancest design Truvis. Keep up that practice. Forget work, they will understand.

I wanna see a Mancest design Truvis. Keep up that practice. Forget work, they will understand.

I can draw one for you and send it over if you want? But just be warned, you may be asked to leave the course if you use in front of anyone else.

You and me both!!!!

I’ve always felt putting was a strong suit of my game. Occasionally I get quick with my set up (mostly playing solo) and my putting suffers as a result. My last round got me thinking about where I could pick up a couple of strokes and it was on the greens. A few putts got away from me that I felt I could have made or lagged closer leaving a tap in and not a lot of work trying to make the come backer.

I pulled out the Viso mirror to see where my eyes were and sure enough they were well over the ball. (If you look at the mirror it’s the line on top of the ball.)

Talking to Sean and Austie at the Odyssey Experience they wanted my eyes over the ball or slightly behind them. A quick reset and making sure My routine/set up was the same each time had my eyes right where they need to be.

Next Im grooving my stroke to make sure I have the face as square as it can be at impact and Using the smallest gate (50mm) a few inches in front of the ball helps a lot. My current mat allows for putts right at 6’ in length which is plenty to practice with. Hopefully the practice shows up on the course.

a88ab90d0492b7cd21fbf33f8cc7567e.jpg

841790ec288bcc91595271b47c2b1102.jpg

896cdf9baa3602daba5a510f83b3edb5.jpg

Back