The Ben Hogan Experience- Preview & Odds

JDax

The Finley Cooler
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.1
Shaft Up #2 just ended, but the THP Event Calendar rolls on into Nashville, TN for The Ben Hogan Experience. Every participant receives a new bag of Ben Hogan equipment, and there is a added wrinkle that each team gets a non-playing General to help them navigate through this Event. Team JB (yes he is playing) drew @E1iterate & Team TB (Tyler Brewton from Ben Hogan Golf) drew me.

The reason that E1iterate & I were asked to help out is that we have intimate knowledge of the course this event will be held on, Gaylord Springs in Nashville, TN. E1iterate was a member of this course for years, and I have been a member since 2011. Between the two of us, we have played every inch of Gaylord Springs.

i-hz3nXws-M.jpg

If you want to check out the course, here is the official website of the course:
https://www.gaylordsprings.com/

If you want to get a peak of the key holes that will decide this event, Check out this video:
[video=youtube_share;xGG-rLvsWfc]https://youtu.be/xGG-rLvsWfc[/video]

The Teams & Handicaps
Team JB
JB- 9
LLIB- 24
jbuck31- 17
Ohiogolfer- 7

Combined Team Handicap- 14.3

Team TB
Tyler Brewton from Ben Hogan Golf- 1
QWKZ51- 15
Jrt13- 13
J.B.Cobb III- 18

Combined Team Handicap- 11.5

Team Generals
E1terate - Team JB
JDax - Team Tyler

Team TB holds the slight edge in lower combined handicap, they boast the Sweep Champion in JBC3, and have the lowest cap in the field. Team JB has the hardest trier in all of THP with Ohio Golfer, and JB is coming off some sparkling play in this week's Shaft Up. JBC3's handicap has been a mystery as he just got back into golf and hasn't played enough rounds for that number to solidify. Despite the numerical edge held by Team TB, I think that it is closer than it appears and don't put a lot of weight in the combined handicap number.

Pairings & Format:

Day 1- Pairings
LLIB & jbuck31 (Combined 16 in this format) +200
TB & Jrt13 (Combined 6 in this format) -250
Match Is Halved +400

All eyes will be on this match out of the gate, as Team JB sends out their popapolusa pairing against Team TB's strongest two players. If Team JB steals a halve here it could be a long weekend for Team TB.

JB & Ohio Golfer (Combined 6 in this Format) -250
JB.Cobb III & Qwkz51 (Combined 13 in this Format) +200
Match Is Halved +400

Same as match one, but in reverse, Team JB sends out their strongest pairing against a popapolusa pairing from Team TB. If somehow Team TB steals this match, or even grinds out a halve, it could be huge.

Day 2- Pairings
TB & JB Cobb III vs Ohio Golfer & LLIB

JB & jbuck31 vs Qwkz51 & Jrt13

Format (Saturday- Day 1):
18 hole matches- Shamble Format (Match Play)
Front 9 will be shamble best ball, where only one score counts for each team per hole.
Back 9 will be shamble combined score, where both scores count for each team per hole.

Format (Sunday- Day 2):
TBA

The Day 1 format seems to favor, Team TB, but Shamble Combined Score could cause a lot of drama as 17 & 18 are two of the hardest holes on the course.
I assume that we will see some Alt Shot at some point, if that's the case the Day 2 pairings of TB & JBC3 v. OG & LLIB could be the match that decides this whole thing. Stay tuned as we hear more about the exact format for Day 2 coming possibility tomorrow.

Percentage of the Total Action:

Team JB- 52.7%
Team TB- 47.3%

The THP public prefers Team JB slightly, and this isn't surprising, with known quantities like JB & Ohio Golfer on that side. Ohio Golfer's haircut in his twitter profile picture didn't deter action on that side and that is surprising to me. Team TB does have the best golfer in the field on their side, in TB, and Qwkz51 is an event veteran rounding out that team. The public also faded the better of the 2 Generals by favoring Team JB and their General, E1iterate. The action is still closer than we have seen in other events, and the THP public was wrong during the Srixon Event when they favored Team Noelle over Team Zack. Will be interesting to see if we get any line movement now the formats & duration of the matches are announced (at least for the Saturday matches).

Odds to Win the Ben Hogan Experience:

The Public favors Team JB, Team JB's prep also appears to be tighter. The Combined Team Handicap favors Team TB and that can't be discounted, however, I'll know more after tomorrow's practice rounds. There are some rumors that Ohio Golfer is playing a practice round today, and blistering the course. JBC3 has only played two offical 18 hole rounds since the Sweep, Qwkz51 played a practice round with me a week ago and leaked oil. All of the momentum seems to be pointing Team JB's way, and they will go out as a slight favorite.

Team JB -150
Team TB + 130

Last edited:
Haha at OG's haircut.

The haircut part had me dying.

We need these @JDax course review videos before each THP Event!!!!

Question is, how many tee's did he leave behind?

Great vid JDax

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

• Staff
We need these @JDax course review videos before each THP Event!!!!

Question is, how many tee's did he leave behind?

I picked up a bunch of them after cutting the camera... lol Not all of them though .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Staff
As always well done sir, very well done.

Awesome preview as always!

Freaking awesome preview. So much goodness with the video breakdown.

I still have team JB!!!

That was awesome!

Atta boy @JDax!! I’ll be following along for sure.

Very cool @JDax

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Can’t wait til this thing kicks off tomorrow. Nashville in the summer with Ben Hogan.....this is gonna be a blast!!! Gonna be tuned for sure. Safe travels to all the participants

The course looks gorgeous! The walkthrough of key holes must be clutch for participants

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The course looks gorgeous! The walkthrough of key holes must be clutch for participants

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

@E1iterate & I will be on the course tomorrow with the teams for a live tutorial....

@E1iterate & I will be on the course tomorrow with the teams for a live tutorial....

Is there any action on prop bets?

Is there any action on prop bets?

We will settle that up tomorrow...

I actually don't mind the underdog role, kinda only leaves one direction to go. To say I leaked oil is putting it kindly.

The line would have been higher if I would have been aware of #ShaftGate ...

Back