pilot25

Reaction score
Handicap
Teeing off the first hole. Partner hits a shot that veers left into an area between the first hole and the hole adjacent who's direction is opposite ours. There is a small hill. The ball bounced and rolled just as a cart was coming over the hill. By the time we could even react the ball was at rest. I said to my buddy. That was ridiculous timing. As we drove over to the area we were excoriated by the person in the cart. I apologized and said we barely had time to.....He cut me off and said, "You need to say F-ing fore!!" At this point I lost my temper and said, "I already apologized and was trying to explain what happened. What the F else do you want?" The ball was rolling by the time his cart got near it so there was less than zero chance it would hurt anyone. Either way I always yell fore but there was no time. Are we in the wrong? Should have we even yelled fore after the fact?

I rarely if ever swear and can't remember the last time I was angry about anything but I was at the end of my rope after dealing with a very grumpy starter who looked like he was ready for hospice . He was mad at us because we weren't moving to the first tee. Every course I have ever played at the starter tells you when to go to the first hole, you definitely don't just do it yourself. We were sitting there waiting our turn and he said, "You boys have some sort of disability that you are holding up everyone before you even tee off."

Isn't golf supposed to be relaxing entertainment? WTF....

I'd like to think country club life is better but my parents were members to a club for 20 years and there is a whole host of stupid issues that rich people complain about I wouldn't want to be apart of.

If what you wrote is an accurate description of what happened then you were not wrong. The other guy way over-reacted.

If what you wrote is an accurate description of what happened then you were not wrong. The other guy way over-reacted.
All I can think of is he saw the thing coming as he was driving up the hill and we couldn't see him but he was startled by it coming. I just think most people try to do the right thing and if someone apologized to me then I'm all good. Stuff happens. Yikes.... Between that and the starter we were off to a bad start. It didn't get us down though. We had a fun day.

Teeing off the first hole. Partner hits a shot that veers left into an area between the first hole and the hole adjacent who's direction is opposite ours. There is a small hill. The ball bounced and rolled just as a cart was coming over the hill. By the time we could even react the ball was at rest. I said to my buddy. That was ridiculous timing. As we drove over to the area we were excoriated by the person in the cart. I apologized and said we barely had time to.....He cut me off and said, "You need to say F-ing fore!!" At this point I lost my temper and said, "I already apologized and was trying to explain what happened. What the F else do you want?" The ball was rolling by the time his cart got near it so there was less than zero chance it would hurt anyone. Either way I always yell fore but there was no time. Are we in the wrong? Should have we even yelled fore after the fact?

I rarely if ever swear and can't remember the last time I was angry about anything but I was at the end of my rope after dealing with a very grumpy starter who looked like he was ready for hospice . He was mad at us because we weren't moving to the first tee. Every course I have ever played at the starter tells you when to go to the first hole, you definitely don't just do it yourself. We were sitting there waiting our turn and he said, "You boys have some sort of disability that you are holding up everyone before you even tee off."

Isn't golf supposed to be relaxing entertainment? WTF....

I'd like to think country club life is better but my parents were members to a club for 20 years and there is a whole host of stupid issues that rich people complain about I wouldn't want to be apart of.
I was hit on the upper left shoulder about a week ago. I was sitting in our cart waiting for players in our group to tee off from the 7th gold tees. Players were teeing off on #6 which is a dog leg left down a steep fairway. I hear this sizzling from the left then bang into my arm. Not a chance to react. I didn't hear anyone say fore but it was at least 200 yards away.

I wasn't mad about getting hit but the reaction from the guy who hit me. He just wanted to know where his ball was even though my partner told him 3 times that he hit me. He finally apologized a week later.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I was hit on the upper left shoulder about a week ago. I was sitting in our cart waiting for players in our group to tee off from the 7th gold tees. Players were teeing off on #6 which is a dog leg left down a steep fairway. I hear this sizzling from the left then bang into my arm. Not a chance to react. I didn't hear anyone say fore but it was at least 200 yards away.

I wasn't mad about getting hit but the reaction from the guy who hit me. He just wanted to know where his ball was even though my partner told him 3 times that he hit me. He finally apologized a week later.

A week!! That's weak. I hope he wasn't apologizing for hitting you but for being so self centered that he didn't care in the moment.

A week!! That's weak. I hope he wasn't apologizing for hitting you but for being so self centered that he didn't care in the moment.
He claims he didn't know he hit me till the day he apologized. Bulls**t. I had a big knot on my arm and now it is just a big bruise spreading in all directions.

That's bush league. If I am not sure where I ball is heading I always yell fore just in case. To my knowledge I have never hit anyone and would like to try and keep that way.

That's bush league. If I am not sure where I ball is heading I always yell fore just in case. To my knowledge I have never hit anyone and would like to try and keep that way.
I do the same. I always yell fore.

I was finally able to make a full swing about 5 days later. The ball hit me about 5" below my shoulder joint toward my tricep. It doesn't like to stretch with a knot in it. Lol.

The guy over reacted.

Although you should have punched the starter in the mouth. Ok, maybe not. (Yes, you should.)

The guy over reacted.

Although you should have punched the starter in the mouth. Ok, maybe not. (Yes, you should.)

+1
AA.jpg

This is a roll your eyes and move on moment. No need to even acknowledge someone who is acting like that IMO. I had a similar moment a few weeks ago. We were playing a hole next to the range and there were a ton of balls all over the right side of the hole along the range, which of course is where I hit my ball. Anyway, the guy in the group behind us hit into me while I was looking over a hill, then when he saw me while driving up he saw me bend down and pick up a ball to check it. I then just decided to drop because I was playing a yellow and the range balls were yellow so this was a lost cause. Anyway he drives up and starts yelling at me for picking up his ball. I'm like dude, there are 1000 balls setting over here and I didn't pick any of them up and couldnt even find mine. The course was backed up and he was steaming and he kept hitting into us on the last 3 holes. On 18 we were on the tee next to the 17 green while the group ahead had just cleared and here comes a ball that lands right on our tee, no fore or anything. I just picked it up and threw it over the fence. I was done with that guys act. He came over the hill and started looking too ashamed to make eye contact cause he was such a Richard. I didn't say a word.

I Always yell Fore, regardless if there is any chance if I think it's going to hit anyone or not. If it's heading towards the other fairway, especially over a rise in the hill, I will yell just in case. It just seems the right thing to do. There are times when they don't hear me but at least I yelled anyway. Might make me feel better.
There have been times when I've yelled & I get up to the ball and the person will say "you should have yelled Fore" & I politely say "I did ... turn up your hearing aide." LOL :act-up:

As far as the starter goes ... he has 1 foot on the grave & 1 on the golf course. He just feels that's about all he has to do for the day is yell at the 1st tee box. Other than that, he's just a crotchety old fart that is just there for his free golf. I would have said "are you in a hurry, because we aren't & there is no where to go."

If your outgoing ball is on a path to miss a guy buy 5 feet, yelling fore might provoke him to move into the ball's path of flight. So, sometimes not yelling fore is best.

Sounds like you did nothing wrong and he overreacted.

I always try to yell "Fore" but sometimes it happens so quick or you don't see the other players.

What course? There are some crusty starters around this place (MD)

He was mad at us because we weren't moving to the first tee. Every course I have ever played at the starter tells you when to go to the first hole, you definitely don't just do it yourself.

Where were you hanging around ? The parking lot ? The pro shop ? The range? Practice putting green ?
I don't believe it is a starter's job to locate players and direct them to the 1st tee box. It is players obligation to know their tee time , go to the 1st tee at that time and, or, approach the starter and ask if they're on the tee.Most often it seems the protocol is to pay greens fees , after which the shop attendant then tells the customer to either go to the 1st tee or see the starter.

The guy over reacted.

Maybe yell ‘Fore’ and then punch him in the mouth? You know, etiquette and all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where were you hanging around ? The parking lot ? The pro shop ? The range? Practice putting green ?
I don't believe it is a starter's job to locate players and direct them to the 1st tee box. It is players obligation to know their tee time , go to the 1st tee at that time and, or, approach the starter and ask if they're on the tee.Most often it seems the protocol is to pay greens fees , after which the shop attendant then tells the customer to either go to the 1st tee or see the starter.
Sitting in our cart next to the starters "podium."

Has anyone ever heard a “Fore!”, located the danger / incoming ball, and reacted in time to avoid it? I was thinking about this last week. I heard multiple shouts of Fore during the round. With the close layout of holes and the 20+ mph wind gusts I couldn’t really tell where the yell was coming from. Luckily nothing was sent in our direction.

Has anyone ever heard a “Fore!”, located the danger / incoming ball, and reacted in time to avoid it? I was thinking about this last week. I heard multiple shouts of Fore during the round. With the close layout of holes and the 20+ mph wind gusts I couldn’t really tell where the yell was coming from. Luckily nothing was sent in our direction.

No, but I always cover my head with my arms if i hear Fore. Had one miss my head by under a foot one time while I was looking for my ball in the bush... lol. Wasn't mad at the guy, cause I was a single, and there was no way he could've seen me (and do you yell "fore" when ball going into bush, haha?), but that close to my head, I always cover when i hear fore.

When I hear "fore" I immediately hunch down and cover my head. No way would I look around to try and locate an incoming ball.

When I hear "fore" I immediately hunch down and cover my head. No way would I look around to try and locate an incoming ball.

I whip out my replica Captain America shield and deflect it. And bullets.

I hate it when that happens. You see carts drive off towards the green and right as your tee ball is in the air some guys walks out of the woods or comes back over a rise. Never good but also not intentional, do what you can, some people will be understanding, others will be Richards about the situation. Try not to let it ruin your day, after all, we are golfing and not working :)

Yeah, I'll yell "Fore", but can never understand what those guys are doing in the middle of the fairway I'm playing ....... because you KNOW that's where all of my shots are going! :laughing:

If your outgoing ball is on a path to miss a guy buy 5 feet, yelling fore might provoke him to move into the ball's path of flight. So, sometimes not yelling fore is best.

It's also human nature to look up when you hear someone yell, which could result in a ball hitting you in the chest as opposed to the back.

Back