Old vs. New balls

lanoxrehab

Reaction score
Handicap
I have exclusively used the Snell MTB balls that I buy from a fella that uses scuba gear and fishes them out of the lakes/ponds in Utah. They perform pretty good for me, but what do I know. I hear water balls are ok and I hear water balls are not ok, but for a $1 a ball, I use them.

Going to open a brand new 2019 sleeve of Pro V's just to see if it makes a difference today.

I'll post my thoughts later.

I have a golfing buddy who is constantly fishing balls out of the lake at our course. He heads out about an hour before each round, and spends 30 minutes with a rake-like ball retriever. Its not unusual for him to drag out 25-30 balls at one time. He keeps us all supplied with "range" balls, as well as some gamers. I've got a whole bunch of Chrome Soft, Supersoft, and Truvis balls that he's found, and they seem to work just fine.

Every now and then one will play funny... I hit an odd ball a few months ago with a 7 iron. The thing hooked like a frisbee...

I have exclusively used the Snell MTB balls that I buy from a fella that uses scuba gear and fishes them out of the lakes/ponds in Utah. They perform pretty good for me, but what do I know. I hear water balls are ok and I hear water balls are not ok, but for a $1 a ball, I use them.

Going to open a brand new 2019 sleeve of Pro V's just to see if it makes a difference today.

Wouldn't a better test be to do a side by side with some NEW MTB's vs the used ones?

I buy the used Truvis and haven't had any issues other than I Lose them!!

::I will add that on the 3 dozen I bought only 2 or 3 had any noticeable marks.

Last edited:
Wouldn't a better test be to do a side by side with some NEW MTB's vs the used ones?

I hate losing Truvis balls! I don't know why but I can hit a TP5, ProV1 etc into the woods and blow it off. I hit a Truvis into the woods and feel like I just lost my best friend. lol

This^^^^^, your talking about two different makes and models and your lake ball experiment wont work without them being the same ball.

Also....unless your a single digit capper imo most any mid/high and certainly high capper couldn't truly judge/compare different balls in just one round anyway. Our inconsistencies would need to be weeded out from skewing any comparison results. We can easily play a better or worse holes and entire rounds and very likely be our inconsistent swing bringing about the different results much more than the ball. And in addition a prov1 may not be a better ball suited for your swing and game in the first place.

There is truth to the comments here. My normal score for this course is 90-93, today with the Pro V, I shot an 85. Quick experiment just to see. My swing was good/not great.

I have a golfing buddy who is constantly fishing balls out of the lake at our course. He heads out about an hour before each round, and spends 30 minutes with a rake-like ball retriever. Its not unusual for him to drag out 25-30 balls at one time. He keeps us all supplied with "range" balls, as well as some gamers. I've got a whole bunch of Chrome Soft, Supersoft, and Truvis balls that he's found, and they seem to work just fine.

+1
AA.jpg

In the OP original post his comparison he was comparing a used MTB to a new Pro V.

I was saying try a new MTB vs a old one from the bottom of the lake to compare.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

In the OP original post his comparison he was comparing a used MTB to a new Pro V.

I was saying try a new MTB vs a old one from the bottom of the lake to compare.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Very good idea

I just shot an 84 this morning with a 3 year old Sponge Bob Square Pants ball. Made by Wilson Staff.

They don't check up on the Green like a PV1 or the TP5.

But neither does the Pro V1 when I hit them.

Lol.

Unless your can chip it Like Phil it probably won't add a stroke to your Handicap.

M2C

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

I hate losing Truvis balls! I don't know why but I can hit a TP5, ProV1 etc into the woods and blow it off. I hit a Truvis into the woods and feel like I just lost my best friend. lol

I think I know now why I still have my one and only box of Travis still sitting on the shelve. LOL

I just shot an 84 this morning with a 3 year old Sponge Bob Square Pants ball. Made by Wilson Staff.

They don't check up on the Green like a PV1 or the TP5.

But neither does the Pro V1 when I hit them.

Lol.

Unless your can chip it Like Phil it probably won't add a stroke to your Handicap.

M2C

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Imo if one isn't producing much spin on the greens to begin with a ball that does spin more isn't going to mean much and if its a ball that also spins more in general through the bag it may be hurting ones game with general ball striking via mid and longer clubs much more than it ever helps them on the greens. This is why (imo) too many higher cap amateurs who tend to hook and slice too much and use a prov1 don't realize it may be working more against and costing them more than it is helping. Imo it depends on ones game and where they need the most help.

Back