The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should probably do the exact opposite of that.

After 3 bad sessions in a row I'm more than convinced now I need to up my frequency of golf lessons.Im thinking that every time i consider going to the range I should have my pro right next to me.Im to inexperienced to hit a bucket of balls without having him observe me every swing.Going to really push to improve at this game the next few seasons.If it doesn't happen than I will most likely give up this hobby and do something else.Im the type of individual that it is all or nothing.If I give golf my full attention and try my best and fail to succeed than I'm done with it!

You do not need more lessons IMO, you need to simplify things. honestly I believe you have tooo much going on in your head. Just hit balls man start with half swings then 3/4 then full.

As for me I had a good range session last night hitting the ball darn well. Was able to hit targets with good accuracy even with the hybo hit the target at 200 close enough to give me a good shot at birdie several times.

After 3 bad sessions in a row I'm more than convinced now I need to up my frequency of golf lessons.Im thinking that every time i consider going to the range I should have my pro right next to me.Im to inexperienced to hit a bucket of balls without having him observe me every swing.Going to really push to improve at this game the next few seasons.If it doesn't happen than I will most likely give up this hobby and do something else.Im the type of individual that it is all or nothing.If I give golf my full attention and try my best and fail to succeed than I'm done with it!

IMO more lessons are exactly want you don't need. I believe you need to go to the range and hit balls. Take one drill or swing thought from your lesson and work on that for 3-4 range sessions. Then as that starts to work add another drill and work your way up to full confident swings and go play some golf on the course and have a good time and don't worry about score and just hit your ball until it's in the hole and then do it again on the next hole and keep going til your round is over.

You have had 20 lessons or so and no real practice time in between. You have so many different swing thoughts going on and that's never a good thing and then a change in approach based on previous post you made of a new setup your instructor gave you.

This is purely my opinion but I think your instructor and the amount of lessons you have taken have done more harm than good.

With 20 lessons under your belt and no/little improvement seen, I stand by my thought that you need a second opinion.

Your basing your entire idea of like or dislike the game on a single persons impression of how you learn and are paying him.

My 2 cents, and by this time you might have dollars. GET ON A COURSE AND PLAY SOME GOLF. Play some terrible golf, play some mediocre golf, just play some golf. Lessons are great and everything, but I feel like you might be getting some janky advice from your instructor. DO NOT GIVE UP GOLF BECAUSE YOU AREN'T SEEING IMPROVEMENT WITH YOUR INSTRUCTOR. Try another instructor for a lesson or two. If there isn't one available, just play some golf man.

When I got into golf in my 20's, I was a once or twice a year golfer. I wanted to get better, and thought being at the range every day would help. It didn't. What helped was being on a course, learning how to play a course, learning what I could and couldn't do. Mashing balls on the range is something I try to do sparingly. I spend time around chipping greens and short game. I rarely hit clubs longer than a 7iron on the range. I want good contact and control in my short game, because that is where I waste shots (that and on the putting green). I play tons of rounds with at max a 3/4 swing just to get good contact. Find a way to get around the course that minimizes your mishits.

Thats just my thoughts on it. Golf doesn't come easily. You are putting in the work, but practicing something unorthodox could just be messing you up. You don't have to be a center of the fairway & GIR finding machine to enjoy golf.

Spent an hour on the range and another 45 minutes on putting green. I used the range session to work more on breaking in my new irons but at the end I saved a good chunk of balls trying to work on hitting a fairway wood. Fairway wood shots used to be something I could do but Now I am terrible with anything that isn't an iron/wedge and it bugs me. I got better with my heavenwood as I worked on a smoother more controlled swing. Saw some good results so I'll keep working on it.
Putting I just worked on 3,5, and 7 foot putts for a majority of my time. Then I spent some time with 10 and 15 foot putts. Finished up with lag putting. Solid day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the conclusion of every lesson, my instructor will text me the key things we worked on that week. Just bullet points with short explanations. It's a very handy thing to review before I go play a round. Sort of a way to get your mind focused on what it should be doing.

Spent a good 45 min - 1h on the putting green tonight working with 1 ball. I really took my time lining things up and working on 8-20 footers since I just don't seem to make enough putts in that area for birdie. I tried my best to simulate pressure situations mentally and I'm not sure if I was successful or not in that regard. For whatever reason I'm consistently making right to lefters at a much higher clip than left to righters, and I'm still way too wimpy on downhill putts to make anything.

I will continue to work on this all year because I'm sick of throwing away good birdie opportunities or bogeying after a GIR.

Practice round today. Struggled with making contact, with several topped shots today. Driver was alright, hit 3/7 FIR and a couple others were just off the fairway. I remain the king of the second attempt. Had a couple shots where I topped them, dropped another and hit a nice clean shot. For the life of me, I don't know why I can't manage that on the first shot. Lesson in eight days, and I'm so ready for it. In the meantime, if I can manage it ... range this evening and then tomorrow. Had some better results with the 7i today, so there was that. The good contact shots I made were mostly pulled left, so I still think I have a bit of an OTT move. Trying to work on the hips to give me some clearance so I can drop those arms down instead of out.

Hit a bucket at the range while waiting to hear on the hospital with updates on my Dad's surgery. My mind wasn't really totally in it and I could tell. Mats only so I mostly stuck with driver and fairways off the deck. I was hitting these huge banana slices like I haven't in a long time, before I realized I wasn't loading into my rear thigh on the backswing like I'm supposed to. As soon as I did that, I stayed centered and immediately starting hitting nice straight shots. I had zero distance today though with pretty much every club. Straight, but so short. Like, barely 200 yard drives and 9i going maybe 120. Cold and a bit windy, so there's that, but I just wasn't feeling it completely.

3 hour practice session. 1.5 hours full swing, 45 min 100 yards and in 45 minutes on the putting green.

Time to get to work!
595f49bbac7291d37a43d25e08f51127.jpg

Got to the range session tonight. Hit about 100 balls tonight with the 7 iron. Worked on the swing changes and also maintaining a good tempo with the swing.

Tempo got better as session went on and was fairly happy with the ball striking overall.

Afterwards spent about 30 minutes on one of practice greens working on my chipping.

After a horrible round off the tee last night. I asked the opinon of someone who has seen my swing for 12 years or more (thanks MDGolfHacker) he commented my swing was very flat and around my body as opposed to the normal high and steep. He asked if that was on purpose. I said no and thought about it.

Today on the range I concentrated on a wider and higher takeaway. It immediatley showed improvements in the height of my shots. They weren't perfect. No a bit more of a fade and even slice then before. But also regained some distance.

I ll continue to work on this takeaway and swing and hopefully get back to the better results I was seeing just a week ago.

Short game, putting, partial wedge shot, full wedge shot, Heavenwood, Driver. That was my night. Trying to work on a better iron trajectory instead of the rockets to the moon I have been putting up the past 2 days.

I think 2 bad shots the entire bucket.... of course one was the embarassing "take the entire divider rope with you" swing after being too close to the rope LOL.

I was also doing something new on the putting green today. I was hitting 1 handed lag putts, it seemed to really help me release the club, did about 10 with each hand then go back to both hands. It seemed to work really well.

Worked on takeaway last night in the hotel room before going to sleep.
I also "carpet pitted" for about 10 minutes, and the small hitch is slowly leaving my putting stroke!

Hopefully better swings on the horizon!

I've been working on a half swing, almost 'punch out' like shot that I can knock out straight, with much lower launch.

Yesterday was the first time where I could go through the bag with it (irons only).

The ball flight is much lower, but it rolls out there a lot further than normal.

I'm preparing to play a really difficult course, with high winds and trouble all over the place. I initially started practicing the shot for that course...but it would also be a great shot to fall back on when I lose my swing as well.

Yesterday I was able to hit 3-iron 20-30 times without a single mis-hit, and the ball would roll out to around the 200 yard mark.

I probably should have learned this shot a long time ago.

Went to the range last night with my brother, to work on the woods, and shoot the breeze. I'm finding that I get much better results with my 3 and 7 woods if I just take a half backswing. Sure the distance drops some, but the shots are straight and going where I aim.

One thing about this new driver is my confidence before I swing it. I've not felt this comfortable over a driver. I don't have the "Wonder where this is heading?" feeling I usually do at the tee.

I'm playing it tomorrow and Sunday, so we'll see if it translates to the course.

Short lived range session. Back totally locked up. That is the price you pay not stretching before golf once you get over 30.
#strectchingnotoverrated

Short lived range session. Back totally locked up. That is the price you pay not stretching before golf once you get over 30.
#strectchingnotoverrated

Does a Tiger stretch before it sprints to get dinner?

#strectchingnotoverrated
Wait until you hit 50+. I'll give you a hint: it doesn't get better. I sound like bubble wrap being stepped on when starting out the day.

Rainy day indoor putting practice. Not ideal, but it is something today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back