Balance Drill finds ‘Something’

RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Been working on correcting a bit of a pull with irons and erratic driving. Fiddled with plane, adjusted grip, etc... and there have been improvements. I looked at a video of my swing from 2/3 years ago and noticed a bit of pulling off the ball and being a bit on the heels at impact. Pro noticed that during an evaluation a few months ago, so I worked on keeping a more athletic position. Weight towards the toes a bit more (but not over doing it) certainty helped as well.
I also felt I seemed to be swaying more than rotating, which really manifested on the Driver swings. Couldn’t center the strike with any consistency. So yesterday at the range I tried the feet together drill. First with the 7 iron for a couple, then 1 shoe width apart, 2 shoe widths, and so on until I was at my ‘normal’ width. Well, there seemed to be a butter zone somewhere less than my normal. (Accompanied by a bit more ‘squat’ as well. 1-2 inches more than I was) Butter zones were straight/slight fade and no pulls. Over that width back to pulling a bit. Then did the same with Driver- boy was I WAY too wide. Same effect- found that butter zone which was just over shoulder width with driver and a bit less with irons. I also found that that little extra squat meant I could use my legs more through impact- especially w/Driver. Contact was centered more with consistent flights and distance(maybe even a few extra yds). Haven’t put 5 or 6 nearly identical drives together in quite some time, so it felt pretty good.
I must have, over the years, bought into the “Wider is Longer” thing. It seems that to me it just made it easier to lose my center of gravity and fighting to center the swing and the club face.
It’s not like I was clanking all over the place before, but just didn’t feel I was getting the most out of many strikes. We’ll see if it translates tomorrow (Really good waves this morning- too good to pass up) on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back