5Wood to 30* hybrid gap?

capecodbeach

Reaction score
Handicap
Right now I have a Nike Sumo 23 hybrid that fills the gap between my 5wood (19*) and TE hybrid 30*. The Sumo is showing its age and I am considering a replacement. In consideration are TE XCG7 22* and 25* hybrids as well as a harder to located X2 Hot 7wood. My TE 30* is a 150-160 yard club with nice high flight. 5Wood is a Callaway XR that is a beast with a range of 190-210.
Which of the 3 choices (TE 22*, TE 25*, or X2Hot 7w) will likely fit my 170-180 gap? I would prefer a high flight soft landing option. First choice was the 7wood because I assumed it would be that much shorter than the 5wood. But so far they are almost impossible to find.
That leaves me with deciding between the Tour EdgeXCG7 hybrids. TE are SO hot I am almost afraid to go with the 22* but at the same time the 25* might be a distance disappointment? Anyone hit similar distances to mine and have experience with the XCG7 hybrids??? Thanks.

Try the Callaway Divine Nine, could probably get the TEE E8s for a good price now too.

Duece, I see you carry a 5H(25*) and a 6H(28*)... Do you find them to have too little a gap between them? My 6H is a 30* so I am serious thinking the 25* might be the way to go? Newer Divine 9's are tough to find as well... most are they old warbird models. Almost ready to buy a 25* Tour Edge xcg7 hybrid as it might fit the gap the best? Hate buying a club only to find it duplicates the distance of a club I already have. EX: Bought the Cleveland Niblick during the winter. LOVED it inside on the simulator. But now that I am back outside I find I can chip/pitch just as well with my 9 iron. Inside I could stripe the Niblick 100 yds with a full swing. Outside the club feels heavy and I fade it 10-15 yards to the right. Bottomline... It is coming out of the bag! Do not want to mke the same mistake with a replacement hybrid for the 23* Sumo.

There is roughly around 10-12 yard gaps between my hybrids. My 7i is my 140-145 yard club and the 6H takes it from there.

In regards to the Niblick, I don't full swing wedges. I don't think it's the intent behind that particular club either. You should see good results with it around the greens though.

Niblick may take more time to get use to than I am willing to give it. My 9 iron chips run out, while the Niblick loves to check up. Used the Niblick 'full time' for 3 rounds in a row. Stubbornly I thought I could master it. In those 3 rounds I probably had 15 or so legitimate chips... none went in, and probably only 3 of the 15 actually got past the hole. Next round on the same course, chipping with my trusty 9 iron 50% of the chips got to or went by the hole. Using the "Never up, Never in" philosophy the Niblick just needs too precise distance control (in air) for me to get use to. Will I try it again... yes but right now it is too discouraging. BTW I did use it successfully to chip out of a number of packed down traps that had not been worked yet this Spring.

Niblick may take more time to get use to than I am willing to give it. My 9 iron chips run out, while the Niblick loves to check up. Used the Niblick 'full time' for 3 rounds in a row. Stubbornly I thought I could master it. In those 3 rounds I probably had 15 or so legitimate chips... none went in, and probably only 3 of the 15 actually got past the hole. Next round on the same course, chipping with my trusty 9 iron 50% of the chips got to or went by the hole. Using the "Never up, Never in" philosophy the Niblick just needs too precise distance control (in air) for me to get use to. Will I try it again... yes but right now it is too discouraging. BTW I did use it successfully to chip out of a number of packed down traps that had not been worked yet this Spring.

I'm with you on the niblick. It is a good chipping club but, for me, it's even better on full shots. I also have trouble with the niblick checking up too quickly so I only use the 42° and 37° for chipping. By the way I sent you a PM about a TEE xcg-6 5h, did you receive it?

Back