How do you know if you are standing too close or too far away from the ball?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I have had a bit of an issue in my swing lately that I believe I found the cause of. I think I'm standing too far away from the ball. I've been hitting a lot of toe shots recently so I spent some time analyzing my swing in slo motion in my back yard. I'm noticing that when I swing and deliver the club back to the ball that my wrist angle is more extended from my arms and leading the club through my swing more upright than my set up position and striking out towards the toe.

It seems that if I set up a little closer and stand a touch more upright that I can then swing back through following the same path I set up from. Is there anything specific that others look for in their set up to make sure they aren't standing too far or too close to the ball? Do you make sure the sole is flat on the ground when you address the ball? As I look back my toe was point a bit upwards and I wasn't placing the club into the ground level with my set up but I was doing so in my actual swing.

So I have had a bit of an issue in my swing lately that I believe I found the cause of. I think I'm standing too far away from the ball. I've been hitting a lot of toe shots recently so I spent some time analyzing my swing in slo motion in my back yard. I'm noticing that when I swing and deliver the club back to the ball that my wrist angle is more extended from my arms and leading the club through my swing more upright than my set up position and striking out towards the toe.

It seems that if I set up a little closer and stand a touch more upright that I can then swing back through following the same path I set up from. Is there anything specific that others look for in their set up to make sure they aren't standing too far or too close to the ball? Do you make sure the sole is flat on the ground when you address the ball? As I look back my toe was point a bit upwards and I wasn't placing the club into the ground level with my set up but I was doing so in my actual swing.

Stand tall without a golf club in your hands. Next, stick your rear pants pockets out a bit. Finally, allow your arms to relax and hang straight down from your shoulders.
The above is fundamentally sound address posture , from which you may hold a golf club and be a correct distance from the ball.

Stand tall without a golf club in your hands. Next, stick your rear pants pockets out a bit. Finally, allow your arms to relax and hang straight down from your shoulders.
The above is fundamentally sound address posture , from which you may hold a golf club and be a correct distance from the ball.

Yes, that explains it a lot to what I discovered I need to do to fix my position. I was definitely bending over too far at the waist to reach to ball at address.

BTW, someone can feel free to move this to the swing tips topic. It seems to be a more fitting discussion for that forum.

At address, where is the weight under your feet? Over the heels? Over the arches? Over the toes?

Imho, you won't know unless your setup matches your dynamic picture of intent.

Shawn Clement uses the 'Perpetual Motion Drill' where you can see the blur of your clubhead as it brushes or just glides over the turf. You then make a judgement of where the ball needs to be within that blur so that impact matches your intent (ie. high fade, low draw , etc).

Here is an old video where he explains how your dynamic setup which will place you the correct distance from the ball.

Back