2 HDCP, fighting a hook

I wish we had a face on view. With any hook, you have to first ask whether it was the path or the face that changed causing the hook.

I have one swing and one view to work with. Here is what I *think* I see.

It looks to me that your clubface is quite closed at impact (in spite of the fact that it looked good at the top). Now the question is why?

It appears that your ball position is beyond the heel of your front foot. Again, this is hard to tell for certain from a rear view. Your upper body has stayed back. The combination of these two causes the clubface to rotate closed AND the path at impact to be left of the target. This is where I have to ask you. When you hook the ball does the ball start left of the target then hook left or does it start out right of the target and then hook left?

If it does the former there is both a path and clubface closed problem we need to consider. If it is the latter, your path is probably good, but the clubface is closed at impact. Which is it? You tell me.

Based on what I see, it looks like that swing was a path and clubface issue. Both of which could be corrected by moving the ball back in your stance a bit. However, if you tell me the ball starts right and then hooks big time. I'm going to ask if you usually keep your upper body back like that or does it usually slide forward of that position? Because if you usually make contact with the upper body tilted forward of that position that could very well allow you to hit it straight or a slight draw, then hook it when you hang back as we see here.

Does that help?

I wish we had a face on view. With any hook, you have to first ask whether it was the path or the face that changed causing the hook.

I have one swing and one view to work with. Here is what I *think* I see.

It looks to me that your clubface is quite closed at impact (in spite of the fact that it looked good at the top). Now the question is why?

It appears that your ball position is beyond the heel of your front foot. Again, this is hard to tell for certain from a rear view. Your upper body has stayed back. The combination of these two causes the clubface to rotate closed AND the path at impact to be left of the target. This is where I have to ask you. When you hook the ball does the ball start left of the target then hook left or does it start out right of the target and then hook left?

If it does the former there is both a path and clubface closed problem we need to consider. If it is the latter, your path is probably good, but the clubface is closed at impact. Which is it? You tell me.

Based on what I see, it looks like that swing was a path and clubface issue. Both of which could be corrected by moving the ball back in your stance a bit. However, if you tell me the ball starts right and then hooks big time. I'm going to ask if you usually keep your upper body back like that or does it usually slide forward of that position? Because if you usually make contact with the upper body tilted forward of that position that could very well allow you to hit it straight or a slight draw, then hook it when you hang back as we see here.

Does that help?
Starts right, comes back. //cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5d101d5bdacec/VID_295730117_000620_620.mp4

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ball position is off the inside left heel. I work diligently on alignment and position so I know it's not that.

Ball position is off the inside left heel. I work diligently on alignment and position so I know it's not that.

If you weaken your left hand grip I can guarantee you will no longer hook the ball.

that’s some serious clubhead speed. only thing i saw is that your shaft gets really flat on the downswing. path is probably way right and you’re having to shut the face down, producing a lot of draw spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 HDCP, fighting a hook

If you weaken your left hand grip I can guarantee you will no longer hook the ball.

Well that’s just a challenge haha. Also, not necessarily true. When you know your left hand is too weak and the face is open, you can get the tendency to either stall rotation in order for it to slam shut, or you get handsy in order to save it.

It’s almost easier to grip your left hand stronger and then focus on making sure you keep rotating through the shot, cause you learn real quick that if you stall out, it’s hook city.

As far as why the hooks, kinda looks like the club is getting pretty far behind you in transition. You’re letting it set hard in transition and it’s just getting way behind you. You either have to fling it out in front or you’re gonna hit it about 60yds right.

d6e7fe819133b52e128e85e73ca48973.jpg

Might sound stupid. Can you hit a fade with the driver that starts left and comes back to central?

Well that’s just a challenge haha. Also, not necessarily true. When you know your left hand is too weak and the face is open, you can get the tendency to either stall rotation in order for it to slam shut, or you get handsy in order to save it.

I wrote nothing about "too weak and, or, open face".
The OP's left hand grip is strong, which is why I suggested he weaken it. For consistent accuracy, a neutral grip is ideal.

I wrote nothing about "too weak and, or, open face".
The OP's left hand grip is strong, which is why I suggested he weaken it. For consistent accuracy, a neutral grip is ideal.

He could still hit a hook with a weaker grip, is my point. Path might be the problem here more than grip.

He could still hit a hook with a weaker grip, is my point. Path might be the problem here more than grip.

Grip (together with posture and alignment) dictates the swing path. All facets of the swing are created by address technique (grip-posture-alignment).

Hahahah **** no

So your club path will be pretty severely 'in to out' if you can't start it left, your club face might be relatively neutral on good shots and only needs to be a little off for the results to be interesting.

There are ways to get it more neutral, one way would be to have your swing steeper. But in all honesty I'd go to a coach

First: you have a great swing, so kudos for that!

Second, you appear to come in very shallow and from the inside. You just need to work your plane a little more leftward.
As a 2 handicap, you know how to hit a slice, so hit a bunch of them at the range and then slowly work back.
Your swing is a touch long, so maybe shorten it up just a touch for consistency...
Awesome swing....really is.

Lastly, what driver setup are you playing? At address, the toe appears to be quite upright. Also, how long is your driver? Maybe add some swing weight to it? I’ve found that some extra swing weight can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's definitely stuck behind me a bit. That's a position I've fought from junior to collegiate golf. I think my grip also needs an overhaul as well so we will start with that and working on like I'm coming way outside. I think that's what I've got to FEEL to be in the right position.

I'm on the verge of playing really good golf. I shoot more 73s and 74s than anyone in the nation but inevitably I have one or two holes where I'm out of position so badly I have to take bogey and move on.

I appreciate all your thoughts fellas. Means alot!

So your club path will be pretty severely 'in to out' if you can't start it left, your club face might be relatively neutral on good shots and only needs to be a little off for the results to be interesting.

There are ways to get it more neutral, one way would be to have your swing steeper. But in all honesty I'd go to a coach
Yea, I can call up my college coach, he'd get me back on track!

Second, you appear to come in very shallow and from the inside. You just need to work your plane a little more leftward.
As a 2 handicap, you know how to hit a slice, so hit a bunch of them at the range and then slowly work back.
Your swing is a touch long, so maybe shorten it up just a touch for consistency...

Lastly, what driver setup are you playing? At address, the toe appears to be quite upright. Also, how long is your driver? Maybe add some swing weight to it? I’ve found that some extra swing weight can help.

Thanks! I'll get to work. I appreciate the compliments. Soothed my soul after a weekend of frustrating play :)

Ping g400 lst, neutral setting. Standard length, x flex. After look at the video more, I feel like I'm way too far away, like I'm reaching.

Hard to tell in that video, but is your left wrist really bowed at the top of your backswing? (like DJ?) That could lead to a hook.

Ping g400 lst, neutral setting. Standard length, x flex. After look at the video more, I feel like I'm way too far away, like I'm reaching.

Yeah, I was thinking you looked a bit far away. Standard length is what 45.25" with the tour shaft? I play my driver at 45" or 44.75." The little bit can help with consistency. Also, you can buy the G400 weights at Golf Works if you want to try a bit more swing weight. Alternatively, of course lead tape could be a temporary experiment to see if it helps you any.

Lastly, although I've never tried the G400 LST, I have owned the "LST" line in the past. If you are the type that can have struggles with a hook, the drivers with the weight forward (more towards the face) can be quite unforgiving for us draw/hook guys. My last LST type driver was the G30 LS model and I hit more hooks with that driver than I care to admit. Switched back to the standard model and the hooks were completely gone. I currently game the G400 max and the thing just won't go left, other than a big pull of course. Just some pennies for your consideration....

Again, your swing is super solid. Don't take any thoughts here as negative. I watch a lot of golf and have seen many swings and I assure you, yours is great. Club face is square at the top, so this is likely a plane issue. Work on cutting the ball.....it really can change your game when you're a low capper. If I need to hit a fairway, I go to the cut all day. I never had that shot in college....wish I worked on it more then.

Lastly, although I've never tried the G400 LST, I have owned the "LST" line in the past. If you are the type that can have struggles with a hook, the drivers with the weight forward (more towards the face) can be quite unforgiving for us draw/hook guys.

very much this. spin-killing is fine for some but not for all. those lower spin drivers can really amplify misses, and the higher the speed the more offline the ball can go.

You guys rock. Thanks for being helpful and so positive. I'll get to work this week and report back with some videos on the changes. Should get some free time to hit some balls on Thursday or Friday.

Appreciate all of you!

very much this. spin-killing is fine for some but not for all. those lower spin drivers can really amplify misses, and the higher the speed the more offline the ball can go.
I actually love this driver. I think this is the Indian, not the arrow type of deal. It's actually the most forgiving (miss left or right) driver that I've owned and it pops off the face. I'm averaging between 300-320 with this thing, just need to get it more dialed in.

I even hit one 349 at Muirfield on number 12 :)

Back