The Keto Thread: Resources and Inspiration

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
Starting off a thread for those interested in or currently living a ketogenic lifestyle. I recently listened to a podcast that mentioned how important is for people to find their tribe. Well, I understand that in our everyday lives there will be hoards of people who can’t understand why we can’t just have one slice of pizza or that a small cup of Coke will have ramifications on my body.

I’d love to see recipes shared, success stories, and support for those times when we want to toss in the towel and revert back to destructive habits.

Let’s go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with ya brother and will gladly participate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm with ya brother and will gladly participate.

I’m headed to France tomorrow for 2 weeks. It will represent likely the biggest dietary challenge I’ve faced this year. I found eating Keto in China (March 2019) to be fairly easy.

While the French love fat and meat, the bread will be a massive temptation.

I’m headed to France tomorrow for 2 weeks. It will represent likely the biggest dietary challenge I’ve faced this year. I found eating Keto in China (March 2019) to be fairly easy.

While the French love fat and meat, the bread will be a massive temptation.

Stay strong. I had a "fun day" yesterday, and while I was mostly good, not so much at brunch. I couldn't resist mule mimosas or the complementary cinnamon roll. Doubled up on the ketones today.

Stay strong. I had a "fun day" yesterday, and while I was mostly good, not so much at brunch. I couldn't resist mule mimosas or the complementary cinnamon roll. Doubled up on the ketones today.

are you supplementing ketones? I haven’t messed with that strategy yet. Next on my radar is a blood testing kit (keto mojo likely). I want to determine what foods impact me the most. I gained 3.2 lbs overnight from 2 tablespoons of caramelized onions. It took 4 strict days to strip that water weight off. That’s the frustrating part, there are certain foods that you wouldn’t necessarily identify as problem foods that can just toss you out hard and fast.

are you supplementing ketones? I haven’t messed with that strategy yet. Next on my radar is a blood testing kit (keto mojo likely). I want to determine what foods impact me the most. I gained 3.2 lbs overnight from 2 tablespoons of caramelized onions. It took 4 strict days to strip that water weight off. That’s the frustrating part, there are certain foods that you wouldn’t necessarily identify as problem foods that can just toss you out hard and fast.

Yep, I have a few supplements from Perfect Keto. I use their "base" product in the morning which is just ketones. I also use their MCT oil powder with my first cup of coffee. Their bars are amazing too. I used to have one every morning, but now that I'm trying IF, I just have one in the afternoon for some pre-workout energy.

When the weight was melting off, I never had an issue with going up in weight even with drinking alcohol, but since I've steadied, I've experienced moderate increases with certain foods too.

As far as long-term sustainability, I'm quite confident I can maintain at least a fairly strict regime. It's pretty easy. I feel great. I can eat all my favorite foods. I tried paleo for 6 months years ago, and it worked great, but boy did I miss cheese. Now I can have a couple pieces each day.

I have been researching and teetering on starting this diet for awhile now - mainly to stabilize energy levels and improve sleep. I will be following along for when I summon the strength to dive in.

I have been researching and teetering on starting this diet for awhile now - mainly to stabilize energy levels and improve sleep. I will be following along for when I summon the strength to dive in.

I’ve eliminated any and all mood swings. My wife is happy about that. If we went out for the day and missed lunch it would be an issue, I became a hangry diva.

Now, sometimes it’s 3-4pm and I’m not hungry yet. It suppresses appetite. A combination or schedule of intermittent fasting and OMAD (one meal a day) can go a long, long way.

I have been Keto for over a year except for a short period when I got the Flu and was on a Blizzard diet. I have learned a lot about this way of eating over the last year. I'm very close to my goal weight and more concentrated on body fat % now. I'm 55, 199 lbs and at 21% BF. My goal is 15%.

I have been Keto for over a year except for a short period when I got the Flu and was on a Blizzard diet. I have learned a lot about this way of eating over the last year. I'm very close to my goal weight and more concentrated on body fat % now. I'm 55, 199 lbs and at 21% BF. My goal is 15%.

fall_blizzards_dq.jpg

The Blizzard diet? This sounds perfect for me!!

One tip I picked up thus far is beware some of the low "net carb" snacks. I picked up a bunch of Atkins brand bars off Amazon, having maybe one a day. Knocked me out of ketosis for a couple weeks. I'm not sure what the reason was, but it was the only change in my diet during that period of time.

I haven’t been able to get a truly accurate measure of my BF%. I’m at 174 now from 265 but I’m also the smallest I’ve ever been from a muscular perspective.

One tip I picked up thus far is beware some of the low "net carb" snacks. I picked up a bunch of Atkins brand bars off Amazon, having maybe one a day. Knocked me out of ketosis for a couple weeks. I'm not sure what the reason was, but it was the only change in my diet during that period of time.

It’s because they all use bad sweeteners like maltodextrin.

I haven’t been able to get a truly accurate measure of my BF%. I’m at 174 now from 265 but I’m also the smallest I’ve ever been from a muscular perspective.

This is what I use and it seems pretty accurate compared to the Navy Method. The Navy Method does work for the most part unless you are a serious body builder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1UX8RW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Navy method. https://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

Navy gives me 21% and my scale says 21.8%. The key with the scale is do it at the same time of day always.

If you have a sweet tooth and doing Keto, make some fat balls. My wife makes up a batch and we keep them in the freezer. I think she makes "cookie dough" ones.

I'm with you my friend.
I did Atkins for 3 years and swear by low carb. I'll dig up some of my recipes and post em here.

Pork rinds are very versatile.

My best advice is to have stuff to snack on that works for the diet around the house.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Magic Almond Flour Bread:

Ingredients (and this can flex with experimentation)

10 grams of butter (salted)
20 grams of fine Almond Flour
10 grams of Coconut Flour
A pinch of Salt
A Pinch of Baking Powder
Tablespoon of SWERVE Granular (good sweetener without an insulin impact)
1 large egg

Melt the butter, whisk in all the dry ingredients and egg and mix. Pour (or in reality) spoon that mixture into a ramekin (spray it with coconut oil) and into the microwave for 90 seconds.

Split it, add butter, and grill on a hot cast iron pan.

MAGIC... tastes amazing, about 6 net carbs.

If you have a sweet tooth and doing Keto, make some fat balls. My wife makes up a batch and we keep them in the freezer. I think she makes "cookie dough" ones.

I'm all over the Lily's Chocolate products... epic stuff.

https://lilys.com/

Fathead pizza is amazing! They are very calorie dense but I still make one every couple weeks.

Oh man I used to do keto and I had great results... then again I also went to the gym 5-6 days a week as well, but eating healthy was obviously a big component of that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I essentially only walk on the golf course and am on my feet mostly during the day as a teacher. Otherwise I really don’t work out. There aren’t any affordable gyms in my immediate area.

This is an interesting site for those on a low carb/keto diet and really miss bread and the like. I'm using a lot of their products. A little pricey, but most of the things I've tried have been better than I expected. Their bread really tastes like bread, as do their bagels. They even have zero carb noodles and pasta.

https://www.thinslimfoods.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

Bob's Red Mill is a pretty good site for alternate flours. They started as Gluten Free but they have coconut, almond, flax, and other flours along with recipes that can be used and a ton of other items that fit Keto.

Bob's Red Mill is a pretty good site for alternate flours. They started as Gluten Free but they have coconut, almond, flax, and other flours along with recipes that can be used and a ton of other items that fit Keto.

I use his AF and Coconut Flour... good stuff

Back