2019 Srixon Q-STAR Golf Balls

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I figured new versions were on the way, they have been giving the 2018's away for the last month.

I’ve enjoyed the feel of prior versions, but the short game spin had always been lacking. The addition of the new urethane coating may make this the biggest upgrade in the series.

Interesting move by Srixon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been curious when we would hear more about these.

I put several of my HS kids into the Q’s last year and I suspect this year will be the same!

Also. SeRM is still a really bad name, but, it works, that’s for sure.

Should definitely be helpful with the urethane cover.
Question: Seems like they now have 2 very similar balls within close price range but not much difference in performance? Maybe I am missing something here.

• Admin
Should definitely be helpful with the urethane cover.
Question: Seems like they now have 2 very similar balls within close price range but not much difference in performance? Maybe I am missing something here.

I assume you are speaking of Q-Star and Q-Star Tour. One is 2 piece and one is 3 piece and one is surlyn and one is urethane.

If you mean soft feel vs this one, the difference is SeRM and a few other details.

Always been a fan of the Q-Star, I'm sure I'll love these as well. Been gaming the Q-Star and Q-Star Tour this season and haven't been disappointed.

Fastlayer Core, Spin Skin with SeRM, 338 dimple pattern = lower compression for distance feel and greenside control.

I’m confused, is this now a urethane ball or still a surlyn ball?

I’m confused, is this now a urethane ball or still a surlyn ball?

It is a surlyn ball with their Slide Ring Material (SeRM) urethane coating on it.

Thanks JB

It is a surlyn ball with their Slide Ring Material (SeRM) urethane coating on it.

Interesting. Guessing something similar to the hybrid type cover the Titleist Tour Soft touted? I feel that performs admirably around the greens for a non-urethane ball.

Interesting. Guessing something similar to the hybrid type cover the Titleist Tour Soft touted? I feel that performs admirably around the greens for a non-urethane ball.

They cal it a 4CE grafted cover, but it’s surlyn. This is a coating, which is not new to Srixon. They have used Spin Skin for a number of years and the most current form of that is Slide Ring Material.

I started using the Q-star this season and have liked it so far. I have often used 2 piece balls and use to having some roll out and less spin around the green, but I have had great results with the Q-Star in reducing both of those in comparison.

The coating on the new version sounds nice to have but will be happy continuing to use the built up inventory I have on the current model.

2019 Srixon Q-STAR Golf Balls

Im a Cleveland/Srixon homer, but personally I don’t see the value in Q Star with Q Star Tour only a few bucks more.

Im a Cleveland/Srixon homer, but personally I don’t see the value in Q Star with Q Star Tour only a few bucks more.

Agreed.
The Soft Feel in my opinion is just as good if not better than any other 2 pc surlyn out there. If you want more stopping power play the QST. If I were Srixon I’d eliminate the Soft Feel and replace it with the Q Star (stronger brand presence than the Soft Feel) at the $21 price point.

I don’t know if the Q Star is soft enough to meet the market demand for the value soft feeling ball. It would make more sense to eliminate the Q Star brand and go with the Q Star tour. Of course they also have the Srixon Ultisoft line, but it is not offered in US. I just don’t want Srixon getting rid of the Q Star Tour like they did the Z Star SL line.

I don’t know if the Q Star is soft enough to meet the market demand for the value soft feeling ball. It would make more sense to eliminate the Q Star brand and go with the Q Star tour.

I can check tomorrow but if elimination or consolidation were to take place this would make sense to me, as Soft Feel outpaces Q-STAR last time I checked.

With that said I like the core change here as well as the SeRM addition.

Definitely going to give this ball a try. $21 a dozen is a great price for a Srixon. I wonder what the spin difference is between this and the Q-Star Tour.

Its 27 a dozen, there Soft Feel and Ulti Soft are 20 a dozen

The UK golf mag/site Today's Golfer did a big old ball test like that "other" one, and while there were similarities and a few differences as one might expect, one of the standout things was that the AD333 (Q-Star) 2 piece ball was spinning more than a ProV1 and other premium balls off the robot's 74mph wedge shot consistently.

If spin and cost are your 2 main parameters, this ball is surely worth a go.

Back