DIY Putting Green

Windlaker

Reaction score
Handicap
After kicking it around for a couple years, and after reading Misike's thread, I decided to build my own putting green.

My post is nowhere near as detailed as Misike's. I'll answer any questions you may have.

The original idea was to use the area I did because cutting the grass in that area was a real pain in the a$$. Way too tight, too many turns for my lawn tractor. Yeah, I know, First World Problems.

I built it last year...finally getting around to posting it.

The 1st picture shows the area with all the sod cut out, and the area pretty much leveled off. I went down 4".

Step 1.JPG

Also shows the stone in my driveway. About a 50 yard walk around the house from the green.

Stone Delivered.JPG

I put down weed barriers, then started the "Fun" part of wheeling the stone from the driveway, around the house, over the patio, and on to the green. I hired a kid of a guy my wife works with to help haul the stone. Best $100.00 I ever spent.

Step 2.JPG

This shows the green with all the stone down, tamped, compacted. Almost ready for the turf.

Step 3.JPG

Got the turf in position, ready for cutting. Used the "Measure 5 times, Cut Once" method. Happy to say, no mistakes on this part.

Step 4.JPG

Turf down, secured. Did not take a picture of the holes prior to putting down the turf. I did use mortar to secure the cups.

Step 6.JPG

Here is a closeup of the corner where the green and the patio meet.

Edging.JPG

I'll post a few more pictures of the finished green in the next day or so.

Followup on the project...

It's REALLY hard to get something REALLY flat. I cannot count the hours I spent trying to get that stone as flat as I wanted, with the breaks I wanted. Everything else was relatively easy in hindsight.

I said I went down 4". I wish I would have went to 6". There was a lot of movement over the Winter. Breaks I did not have last year are now present, and the breaks I did have are move severe. Not un-puttable, but more break than I anticipated.

Living in Wisconsin, I was skeptical of how things would hold up over Winter. Beside a little heaving, stood up great. Turn looks as good as now.

You may notice the tree on the far end of the green. You never realize how much crap falls onto your lawn. Sticks, leaves, bird poop, dead bugs...you name it. A LOT of cleaning to keep it looking nice. A broom and a lawn blower will be your new friends.

My wife nicknamed my green Nora...my Irish mistress. She got the name for a book she read...Nora was an Irish prostitute, I believe. My wife said I spent more time last Summer with Nora than I did with her.

Looks great

Very well done!

My childhood best friend lives in Wind Lake, so I get down that way quite often. Hope you've gotten out to play more than I have this year!

Very nicely done! It's a fun and rewarding process to do stuff like that yourself.

That looks really good. Enjoy it.

Thank you for the kind words, guys.

JMB3, it's been a touch and go season for sure. Started my Wednesday league the 1st Wednesday in May. We've had 2 rainouts already. Once in my Saturday league.

Looks awesome and well done. Would you mind saying. What the size is? I just sent pro putt systems a measurement for a green in the backyard myself. Not sure if it would be big enough. Thinking 10’x20’ with one end a little narrower for a tree like your pic. Show some finished pics with flags in etc.

Great job! It looks good. Totally worth it to be able to head to the back yard and practice putting whenever you feel like it.

Looks awesome and well done. Would you mind saying. What the size is? I just sent pro putt systems a measurement for a green in the backyard myself. Not sure if it would be big enough. Thinking 10’x20’ with one end a little narrower for a tree like your pic. Show some finished pics with flags in etc.

Finished size is about 12" x 23' (to the very tip facing the patio). I bought a 16' wide roll...didn't want any seams, even though I have 4' x 23' piece leftover.

Is it big enough? I really had no choice...didn't want to make an "Island Green" out in the yard. Can I practice "Lag Putts"...not really. But I've become a LOT better at the shorter putts.

Last edited:
Here are some of the "Finished" picture I took last night.

A closeup of one of the holes. Took a LOT of time with a razor knife. Didn't want it to look all jaggy.

Hole Detail.JPG

Here's a few pictures of the finished project.

Final_1.JPG

Final_2.JPG

Final_3.JPG

I never bothered to add the flags.

This last picture shows how much the green heaved from the patio level. When I was done last year, it was a perfectly flush fit. Not terrible, but it shows how much it can move.

Rise.JPG

You'll notice the cover I put on the window well window. I do some "chip & roll" onto the green. I didn't want to accidentally take out the window.

That looks great. Very simple and clean.

That looks great. Very simple and clean.

You got plenty of backyard for this, right after you do the fire pit. :angel:

No fire pit going in at my house. Ill put propane heaters out before I build a fire, jack with the smoke, the wood bringing in termites, ashes. Not worth it

On the other hand, yes, I have a great spot for something like this

My wife HATES fire pits. "My hair and clothes smell"..."Now I have to take a shower before I go to bed"..."I hate the popping...I always get hit with sparks".... just to name a few.

MAYBE someday a propane one, but I'm not holding my breath.

My wife HATES fire pits. "My hair and clothes smell"..."Now I have to take a shower before I go to bed"..."I hate the popping...I always get hit with sparks".... just to name a few.

MAYBE someday a propane one, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't have one either, I am contemplating putting one it, but it would be gas for sure.

Thanks for the extra pics. Really turned out great. Hoping to post the same in about a month or so.

Man, I want to make one of these. What a neat thing to do. I am afraid to see what I would come up with....nothing of this caliber unless I paid to get it done.

Looks good! What were the dimensions?

Man, I want to make one of these. What a neat thing to do. I am afraid to see what I would come up with....nothing of this caliber unless I paid to get it done.

Thanks. It's not really difficult. Just take your time, pay attention to the details.

I'd never pay someone to do this...too much of a cheapskate.

Looks great! awesome job

Back