Antihero

Reaction score
Handicap
Recent, intermiitent issue cropped up with my driver swing during the past three rounds: Hard pulls.

This has been proven to be a very effective in making for several blowup holes per round.

I generally have a slight draw---but this is different.

No curvature really--just mid flight missiles right to left that go into the....non-fairway

This is also intermittent. I tend to have several holes where drives are pretty solid. I tend to hit straighter when I intentionally slow down the swing--but lose a fair amount of distance.

When I try to speed things up the problem is exacerbated.

I have been told by a few that I am getting "handsy."

So what is the quickest way to get "un-handsy"?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would take video of your swing face on and down the line to ensure you get the right diagnosis. Getting “un-handsy” could be barking up the wrong tree.

Your face could be close to square to your path, but your path could be turned left/pull side by something going on with your lower body, shoulders, etc.

For me, as I suffer a lot from what you are describing, the best and quickest fix I have found is to tell myself to get my chest to a 10 or 11 o'clock position at the end of my follow through (target line is 12.) This helps me significantly get my body moving so that my arms and hands don't lead the way.

For me, as I suffer a lot from what you are describing, the best and quickest fix I have found is to tell myself to get my chest to a 10 or 11 o'clock position at the end of my follow through (target line is 12.) This helps me significantly get my body moving so that my arms and hands don't lead the way.
Thanks. Sounds like no harm can come from trying this.

I would take video of your swing face on and down the line to ensure you get the right diagnosis. Getting “un-handsy” could be barking up the wrong tree.

Your face could be close to square to your path, but your path could be turned left/pull side by something going on with your lower body, shoulders, etc.
I understand it may be impossible to definitively diagnose the root cause without video.

I was more hoping for a few quick tips to quiet the hand action to see if the problem goes away.

I work intermittently with a pro---just hoping to avoid the necessity of a formalized lesson for this possible issue.

Sounds like OTT with shoulders being the culprit. It probably feels handsy as you try to save the shot through impact. That's my major flaw that I have to be vigilant to keep at bay!

If your normal shot is a nice draw and when you get, "handsy" you hit a straight pull, Id say its an OTT issue. Perhaps try having the feeling that you are swinging out to 1st base to prevent that.
It could be ball position too. If you are getting the ball a bit too far forward, it could be giving you just enough room to where the face is dead shut at impact.

Sounds like OTT with shoulders being the culprit. It probably feels handsy as you try to save the shot through impact. That's my major flaw that I have to be vigilant to keep at bay!
Thanks.

Do you mean the shoulders stop rotating and hands try to compensate?

If your normal shot is a nice draw and when you get, "handsy" you hit a straight pull, Id say its an OTT issue. Perhaps try having the feeling that you are swinging out to 1st base to prevent that.
It could be ball position too. If you are getting the ball a bit too far forward, it could be giving you just enough room to where the face is dead shut at impact.
Hmm.

Good thoughts---two potential variables but both make sense.

Thanks.

More like the shoulders initiate the downswing, throwing the club and arms outside (and over the top of the swing plane). As you arrive at impact, the club path is dead left, so you'll naturally try to save the shot with your hands. A "good" result from an OTT swing is really a pull/slice that gets the ball back in the fairway.

A lot of times, an OTT swing will have you lining up further and further right so that the pull will start off on a decent line (that was SO me some years back). z

Look up some of the Over The Top swings and fixes on YouTube to see if you recognize what may be happening in your swing. YouTube is awesome for diagnosing swing flaws and offering tips to correct them!

Thanks.

You stop rotating shoulders, your hands are going to lose the fight against gravity and centripetal force and start doing whatever they want. Never a good thing!

You stop rotating shoulders, your hands are going to lose the fight against gravity and centripetal force and start doing whatever they want. Never a good thing!
Makes a ton of sense.

Any quick fix/test to rule in or out?

Makes a ton of sense.

Any quick fix/test to rule in or out?

You won’t enjoy it, but sure :)

Take an alignment rod or driveway marker. Hold it either in your left hand as you grip the club, or you can actually jam it down the hole in the top of the grip. The latter is better if it’s a spare club, just in case you break it by accident. I recommend this with a wedge as you’ll see why.

Go hit chip shots with it. Don’t mess up and flip at it, you’ll understand why real fast!

You won’t enjoy it, but sure :)

Take an alignment rod or driveway marker. Hold it either in your left hand as you grip the club, or you can actually jam it down the hole in the top of the grip. The latter is better if it’s a spare club, just in case you break it by accident. I recommend this with a wedge as you’ll see why.

Go hit chip shots with it. Don’t mess up and flip at it, you’ll understand why real fast!
I have a bad feeling I will soon like I've been caned in the face ;)

But it sounds like a good (illustrative?) drill.

Hard pulls come from an out of sync swing. Lower body is late to the dance and you get a pull. Keep you back to the target a fraction loner in the down swing and it should cure the issue. I doubt it’s a handsy issue.

Hard pulls come from an out of sync swing. Lower body is late to the dance and you get a pull. Keep you back to the target a fraction loner in the down swing and it should cure the issue. I doubt it’s a handsy issue.
Thanks!

So a lower body slower than upper causes a pull flight. The swing thought you recommend sounds simple and effective.

Out of curiousitu--can you please tell me what kind of flight you'd expect from a handsy move?

I have a bad feeling I will soon like I've been caned in the face ;)

But it sounds like a good (illustrative?) drill.

It’s effective, but see if Freddie’s works first. Less painful.

Thanks!

So a lower body slower than upper causes a pull flight. The swing thought you recommend sounds simple and effective.

Out of curiousitu--can you please tell me what kind of flight you'd expect from a handsy move?

Left to left ball flight. Toe side impact with top spin and low.

Back