Lynx Black Cat Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
In addition to the hybrid that James has been reviewing and the irons that Gary has in, I have had the opportunity to get to know the Black Cat Fairway. As you may have guessed, Lynx is making a stronger push in to the North America market, and they certainly have some appealing products to help grab some eyeballs.

Details: Adjustable loft from 13° to 17°
Price: $239
Shaft: UST Chrome Elements

In hand photos

i-hBp4cLc-L.jpg

i-GpWpcnv-L.jpg

i-XCBfxkK-L.jpg

i-2x7PMKL-L.jpg

i-NVDkg5Z-L.jpg

i-B7MDnbB-L.jpg

i-78G3ggZ-L.jpg

i-S4W8d9B-L.jpg

i-r4WKfNv-L.jpg

Oh wow, that adapter is wild.

I actually like the looks of the head, but man, just like the hybrid reviewed, that headcover is bad bad bad

• Staff
Oh wow, that adapter is wild.

I actually like the looks of the head, but man, just like the hybrid reviewed, that headcover is bad bad bad

the headcover is just meh to me. The head itself when I set it down reminds me a little bit of this blast from the past. Part of that is because it's a pure clean top and matted finish. When I set it down behind the ball, 816 is the first club that came to mind.

Big Bertha 816
i-MphFnHj-L.jpg

Black Cat
i-NVDkg5Z-L.jpg

The adapter is pretty wild. Allows you to keep the shaft straight so you don't have to mess with a 360 grip, and you just move the ring around it to set it up. Slight annoyace, I wish it had the lofts on their instead of the 3-3+ and so forth.

Is it the pic or is this a bit of a cheap weld job?

cb97bab9eba2db939fa0a211cea3a252.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Staff
Is it the pic or is this a bit of a cheap weld job?

cb97bab9eba2db939fa0a211cea3a252.jpg

no Kardashian editing if that's what you mean. It's an oddity at the top of the crown there, but not noticeable at address. Here is a closer look

i-mFQX2Bj-L.jpg

no Kardashian editing if that's what you mean. It's an oddity at the top of the crown there, but not noticeable at address. Here is a closer look

i-mFQX2Bj-L.jpg

No harm meant. It honestly just looked a little cheap based off that photo. The rest of the package is surprisingly nice.

No harm meant. It honestly just looked a little cheap based off that photo. The rest of the package is surprisingly nice.

There's another spot by the hosel, could just be a bad tape job when applying the matte finish.

• Staff
I like the looks, and the weight bar is pretty cool.

Pretty solid looking club, definitely like the look at address. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

This thread is overdue for an update so here it goes.

As mentioned earlier, I like the look, shape, and size of this fairway wood. I would say the size of it is more on the comfortable size than it is compact. The adapter is pretty damn wicked, I love that I can adjust for the loft I want without having to twist the shaft. Makes it so much easier to throw something like an ALIGN grip on it without having to worry about it twisting when adjustments are made on the fly(nobody does that right?). The shaft I have in it is the Elements Chrome in F5(xstiff), which I will admit feels a bit much for my swing speed.

There are two things that are a miss for me, one is the sound on misses. Let's just say you will definitely know that you didn't catch it, think Nike Sumo driver. The other part, and I want to say I hope this is a one-off situation, is that the sliding weight broke during testing. Now we did notify the company that it happened, and I will gladly keep you all posted on what happens from here. It's a bit of a bummer because I was looking forward to seeing just how much having the weight flipped would impact the ball flight, spin numbers, and even the sound.

This thread is overdue for an update so here it goes.

As mentioned earlier, I like the look, shape, and size of this fairway wood. I would say the size of it is more on the comfortable size than it is compact. The adapter is pretty damn wicked, I love that I can adjust for the loft I want without having to twist the shaft. Makes it so much easier to throw something like an ALIGN grip on it without having to worry about it twisting when adjustments are made on the fly(nobody does that right?). The shaft I have in it is the Elements Chrome in F5(xstiff), which I will admit feels a bit much for my swing speed.

There are two things that are a miss for me, one is the sound on misses. Let's just say you will definitely know that you didn't catch it, think Nike Sumo driver. The other part, and I want to say I hope this is a one-off situation, is that the sliding weight broke during testing. Now we did notify the company that it happened, and I will gladly keep you all posted on what happens from here. It's a bit of a bummer because I was looking forward to seeing just how much having the weight flipped would impact the ball flight, spin numbers, and even the sound.

The sumo sound comparison scares me, especially from a fairway wood!

I look forward to the updates on what the company does Deano, it’s a bummer the weight broke, I was REALLY curious to see numbers because the hybrid review I did legit shocked me.

The sumo sound comparison scares me, especially from a fairway wood!

I look forward to the updates on what the company does Deano, it’s a bummer the weight broke, I was REALLY curious to see numbers because the hybrid review I did legit shocked me.

Its not that bad, but super noticeable like that one was.

Its not that bad, but super noticeable like that one was.

Well, that’s better then.

I have that sound SEARED into my head from a HS kid using one of those drivers my first year coaching, so you scared me. Hahaha

Update: Lynx has responded very promptly on this issue and it sounds like we have a new part on the way.

Back