Torn Bicep Tendon - Experiences?

Jimmy3864

“JimmyD”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been struggling with a shoulder issue now for at least 3 years, undergoing intensive rehab in off season. Once the season kicks off up here I typically have a short month of minimal pain then the issues return worse than ever. This past winter my physio therapist finally gave in and said you have to see a surgeon, my shoulder was beyond rehab.

So anyway, I began the process of x-rays, ultrasound and finally an MRI. As expected I was diagnosed with multiple tears in rotator cuff, some tendinitis as well as arthritis. This diagnosis was in March of this year and about 3 months ago finally heard of my initial visit with surgeon around mid-July. Anyway about 6 weeks ago my doctor suggested a cortisone shot to tide me over and I agreed as a full night’s sleep was impossible without pain pills.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I felt a pop during a golf swing, followed by excruciating pain in upper arm/bicep. Long story, it appears I have torn my bicep muscle away from one tendon. Of course, my bicep looks like Popeye and is quite tender. My physio-therapist sent pictures and his prognosis to the surgeon the next day but so far have heard nothing. I was told this does happen and many continue to function normally albeit with reduced strength and endurance. Another option of course is surgery although in Canada I am told that option is falling out of favour. I continue to play golf although I am doing my best to hit more fairways and avoid the deep stuff.

My apologies for the long dissertation but wondered if anyone on the forum has experienced similar situation re. torn bicep tendon and what did you end up doing? Appreciate your thoughts and input.... thanks.

I have been struggling with a shoulder issue now for at least 3 years, undergoing intensive rehab in off season. Once the season kicks off up here I typically have a short month of minimal pain then the issues return worse than ever. This past winter my physio therapist finally gave in and said you have to see a surgeon, my shoulder was beyond rehab.

So anyway, I began the process of x-rays, ultrasound and finally an MRI. As expected I was diagnosed with multiple tears in rotator cuff, some tendinitis as well as arthritis. This diagnosis was in March of this year and about 3 months ago finally heard of my initial visit with surgeon around mid-July. Anyway about 6 weeks ago my doctor suggested a cortisone shot to tide me over and I agreed as a full night’s sleep was impossible without pain pills.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I felt a pop during a golf swing, followed by excruciating pain in upper arm/bicep. Long story, it appears I have torn my bicep muscle away from one tendon. Of course, my bicep looks like Popeye and is quite tender. My physio-therapist sent pictures and his prognosis to the surgeon the next day but so far have heard nothing. I was told this does happen and many continue to function normally albeit with reduced strength and endurance. Another option of course is surgery although in Canada I am told that option is falling out of favour. I continue to play golf although I am doing my best to hit more fairways and avoid the deep stuff.

My apologies for the long dissertation but wondered if anyone on the forum has experienced similar situation re. torn bicep tendon and what did you end up doing? Appreciate your thoughts and input.... thanks.

Dude that’s horrible sounding, I remember you talking about it down at the MC. Hope it can get fixed and a quick recovery man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I messed up a few rotator cuff a ways back but was able to rehab it back. Never torn something like that though! Hope you’re able to get some help with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmy that's rough, bud. i have an ongoing issue with one of my shoulders, but it has no diagnosis at this point. how did you originally injure your shoulder?

i don't have any experience with tearing a muscle (thank goodness). i'm hoping you get some relief soon.

so a few things right?

RTC tearing, if no surgery is needed, then lots of PT to help support that joint. if injections and PT help then perfect. if there are full thickness tear going on, should probably look at it getting fixed sooner than later as the long it stays torn, it can either retract or just become much harder for the surgeon to get a good repair on.

Biceps tendon, proximal biceps tears are typically no big deal once you get past the painful and inflammation part. Long head biceps that is. Famous story with most ortho circles is that John elway never won his superbowl under he tore/had his biceps tendon snipped. Only reason to do anything with is is for cosmetic reasons if you don't like that popeye look.

PS: just saw you're in canada so now I see why it has been 3 months between initial diagnosis and first ortho visit

Last edited:
My old boss had this injury where the tendon tore off of the bone. He had surgery and had a 3 month rehab then was back doing all the things he used to. He had the surgery in September and was playing golf by April.

My sister had a shoulder surgery but it was not as severe.

I am not an advocate to have surgery if it can be avoided, but when you are talking torn muscles I would go with what an orthopedic surgeon is advising.

My law partner tore his biceps tendon. He tried months of PT to no avail. He finally had the surgery the ortho had recommended months earlier. Once he was cleared to begin PT, he had a couple of months of it and was back doing everything he did prior to the injury.

jimmy that's rough, bud. i have an ongoing issue with one of my shoulders, but it has no diagnosis at this point. how did you originally injure your shoulder?

i don't have any experience with tearing a muscle (thank goodness). i'm hoping you get some relief soon.

Thanks for the kind words Chris. I believe my original injury was from hockey incident when I was 15 and then I really did some damage when a case packer broke down on one of the lines at the plant and the senior team all chipped in to keep line running.

Anyway after 2.5 hours of lifting 22 lb. cases in an unergonomic position, the shoulder started its downhill spiral. Unfortunately I had never expected a bicep tear as I had never heard of anyone experiencing such a thing. Anyway it’s now been almost 3 weeks since my tear and the surgeon hasn’t called to reschedule my appointment any earlier than my original scheduled appt. so I guess he is either too busy (my guess) or not too concerned about addressing any earlier.

Back