Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leftover Range Balls?

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    292 Posts

Leftover Range Balls?

When I was 13 or 14, me and a buddy were at a mall and found 4 tickets on the floor for an upcoming movie. My buddy decides ‘hey - let’s turn them in and ask for a refund’ - makes up a story about his guests having an emergency and having to leave.

A year later said buddy is with my family at the beach and mentions this. My Marine Colonel Dad is furious and as soon as we get home makes me go to the theater and pay for the tickets. It was incredibly embarrassing as it took me 20 minutes to get the theatre employees to understand what I needed to do.

I’m not making an analogy per se. But the common theme is that just because no one is really harmed by a decision doesn’t make it honest or right. If my Dad were alive he would point out that you know it’s not the best decision or you wouldn’t be asking others to weigh in.

I think the advice to inquire with the course about it is good advice. Or just pay for your balls. Sure - you already support the course but I’m not sure that justifies using it for free at times.

Hey - at least you openly admit the practice. That still puts you in the top 10% of humanity :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boone; 07-12-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    You ain't bonafide.

WITB:
    G400 Max
    F9 One Length 4 Iron - SW
    F9 3W/5W/7W
    Tour Spider Putter

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    OP here.

Even though I hardly agree with the analogies given here, especially the banquet one. I wasn't taking balls from members actively shooting them off the tee lol. That's the banquet analogy...

The parallel is more...I'm staying at a hotel and notice there is a banquet. Full spread and then there's one little table off to the side with cookies. 2 hours later i walk through the lobby, the banquet is completely over, all the main course tables are gone (the barrel with balls), but the table with the cookies is still just up because they clearly didn't care enough to clean up the cookies and take them back. They didn't bother to clean up the leftover cookies. That's the better parallel, BUT even that's not even a great analogy because there is a truer cost associated with taking and eating the cookies. Range balls...i mean yea ok I get your guys point with you're paying for the grass or facility, but the overhead is still MUCH different.

That said...I went this morning as you guys suggested. I went in and said I'll take a bag of range balls. He said, "large or small" and I said "I suppose just a small one". As he went to pull the small bag out he said, "Oh wait the barrel's out, you're good". I paused for a second, and said, "So I don't owe you anything?". He waffled for a second and said, "Well how bout I just charge you for a small bag and then you can go hit as many as you want." So I did pay my $4 for a small bag and hit as many as I want, but to me this told me everything. They don't really give a crap if people are using the range balls when the barrel is out, and he basically made that up on the fly. Nonetheless, $4 is a darn good deal for unlimited range use so I'm more than happy with that.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to V14_Heels For This Useful Post:

Atxpkrgolf (07-14-2019), Boone (07-12-2019), checkered (Yesterday), Danimal (07-12-2019), OGputtnfool (07-12-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    I think the stealing/scumbag references are pretty harsh. I try to support my range whenever I go and always buy a bucket. The golf business is very hard and not a ton of money in it so I know every little bit I support it with will allow me to continue to play the game I love. I know I have left a half bucket before and given it away. No problems. I think you have done the right thing and asked them and are moving on.
    WITB
    Srixon Z785 Driver 9.5* W/Aldila Rogue Silver Stiff
    Srixon F85 3W 15* W/ Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
    Srixon H85 Hybrid 16*
    Srixon U85 22*
    Srixon Z785 5-PW W/C-Taper Lites
    Cleveland RTX 4 Raw Mid 50, 54 & 58 C Taper Lites
    Odyssey SL Double Wide 34.5”
    Srixon Z-Star

2019 Distance Powered by Srixon & Cleveland Golf #TeamNoelle

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Danimal For This Useful Post:

*Range Rat (07-12-2019), Atxpkrgolf (07-14-2019), Jimbo187 (07-12-2019), V14_Heels (07-12-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Personally, I think the accusations of stealing and especially "scum" are a little harsh and unfair. But I think the majority have it right, if you buy a small bucket and then use leftovers after you've finished that is absolutely no problem at all. But going to the range purely to use the leftovers without paying the club for the pleasure isn't in any way right. You're not paying for the balls per-se, it's the upkeep of the range, wages etc and all the other overheads. Not so much stealing, but certainly in a pretty grey area morally....
    G30 SF Tec Driver 10 degree
    G25 5 Wood
    G25 20, 23, 27 hybrids
    G25 irons 6-PW
    G25 wedges UW, SW, LW
    Futura X5 Putter
    Pro V1 Ball

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HarlettoScara For This Useful Post:

*Range Rat (07-12-2019), Boone (07-12-2019), Jimbo187 (07-12-2019), V14_Heels (07-12-2019)

Handicap
    hack
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    I think the stealing/scumbag references are pretty harsh.
    Exactly. Way too harsh.
    I have only come here seeking knowledge
    That they would not teach me of in college

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Range Rat For This Useful Post:

Jimbo187 (07-12-2019), V14_Heels (07-12-2019)

Handicap
    hack
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarlettoScara View Post
    Personally, I think the accusations of stealing and especially "scum" are a little harsh and unfair.
    Very unfair. He's basically equating hitting a few leftover range balls with shoplifting from or robbing a store.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to *Range Rat For This Useful Post:

HarlettoScara (Yesterday)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    So all the posts in all the threads where people have had their rangefinders taken off of their bags, forgotten a wedge and was never able to retrieve it, suspecting people of trying to take pets, having entire bags taken from car or garage......all of those threads people called the offenders much worse than scum, that's ok. Me saying the word scum in my post (never saying the OP was scum directly but you can connect the dots) because he skipped out on $4 range fee is too harsh/unfair?

What is the dollar amount that I can actually be "outraged" and "offended" at a person's "reallocation" of something that is not theirs?

Again if he paid the range fee he can hit all the "free" leftover golf balls he wants. He didn't pay the fee until this thread so until that point he had no business being on the range to hit any leftover golf balls.
    Driver: GBB EPIC 10.5 HZRDUS 6.0
    3 Wood: XR16 Pro
    Utility: X Forged UT 18* C Taper Light
    Irons: JPX 900 Forged 4-PW LZ 6.0
    Wedge: MD4 50*,54*,58*
    Putter: Cameron & Crown Mallet 1

Handicap
    20ish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by echico View Post

What is the dollar amount that I can actually be "outraged" and "offended" at a person's "reallocation" of something that is not theirs?

How about not getting outraged or offended by any of it? say you think its wrong based on your personal ideals and move on. People spend too much time looking for ways to be offended or outraged.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimbo187 For This Useful Post:

*Range Rat (07-12-2019), Atxpkrgolf (07-14-2019), Imaginos (07-12-2019), Payne (07-12-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo187 View Post
    How about not getting outraged or offended by any of it? say you think its wrong based on your personal ideals and move on. People spend too much time looking for ways to be offended or outraged.
    So just let people steal...or trespass....or whatever. Gotcha.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It reminds me of this analogy. Walking through a hotel lobby there is a banquet set up for full in the blank company.

I’m not part of the banquet, but like the company at least. They have a tray of cookies there and I also like cookies.

Nobody else is currently eating the cookies and they were obviously paid for by someone. Is it fair for me to duck in and grab the cookies?
    I was a "no" up to cookies. Cookies are yummy, and morals can be bent for cookies. lol.
    Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

WITB:

Driver and FW:
    Cobra F9 10.5, 45", Fujikura Vista Pro 55, R, Jumbo Pure
    XR16 5 Wood, Fujikura Vista Pro 55, R, Jumbo Pure

Hybrids:
    Big Bertha 4H, Mamiya Recoil ES, 460, F3, R, Jumbo Pure
    Big Bertha 5H, Mamiya Recoil ES, 460, F3, R, Jumbo Pure
    Big Bertha 6H, Mamiya Recoil ES, 460, F3, R, Jumbo Pure

Irons:
    Ping G30, 6I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
    Ping G30, 7I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
    Ping G30, 8I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
    Ping G30, 9I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure

Wedges:
    Ping G30, PW, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
    Vokey VM7, 50, Mid Bounce, Jumbo Pure
    Cleveland RTX4, 56, 2dot, True Temper Dynamic Gold, Jumbo Pure
    Cleveland RTX3, 60, 2dot, True Temper Dynamic Gold, Jumbo Pure

Putter:
    Odyssey, Red Ball, WinnPro 1.18 Grips

Ball:
    E-12 Soft, TP5 or ProV1

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to millsan1 For This Useful Post:

Atxpkrgolf (07-14-2019), Imaginos (07-12-2019), Jimbo187 (07-12-2019), JuMPy (07-12-2019), LLIB (07-12-2019), OGputtnfool (07-12-2019)

Handicap
    hack
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by echico View Post
    So just let people steal...or trespass....or whatever. Gotcha.
    You can continue to call it that because it seems to make you feel good, but that's not what it is. I agree with what Jimbo said, relax and move on. You're about to have a cardiac episode because some guys like to hit a few leftover range balls. It's sad.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Range Rat For This Useful Post:

Atxpkrgolf (07-14-2019), Jimbo187 (07-12-2019)

Handicap
    mental
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    couple munis in my area have ranges. Its a "need a penny, take a penny, have a penny leave a penny" policy. I've been on both sides of this. I've paid for a bucket didn't use it all, but left it with intent someone could make use of it. I've also gotten to the range and hit a couple that were left behind.

Some might argue, it's extra work for someone to go around picking up left over balls, then just getting into the shag-buggy and driving around to scope them up because they have to do that anyway.

but what ever, if you're comfortable and the course could care less, then all the power to you IMO

Handicap
    7.2 USGA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    898 Posts
    Always better to ask. What's $4 for a bottomless bucket of range balls?

And again, its not just the balls you're paying for. It is use of the range- mats, maintenance and all.
    Bucketsofjoy
    WITB
    In my bag
    KING LTD 9° w/ V2
    KING LTD 13°
    Fly-Z Hybrid w/ VTS Silver
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-AW
    J15 54* & 58*
    Abbie
    Tour B XS

Team THP #Grandaddy2018 BlueHen2006's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,143 Posts
    I've always asked about range balls at the proshop when I check in, and whatever they tell me (either $ for so many, or go to the range, it's included), I listen to that. Now I have bought a bucket and while scanning the mats to decide which to use (mainly for best angle at each flag), have seen some with leftover balls. Depending on how much time I have before my tee time, I have gone specifically to that mat in case I want to use those extra balls, but won't seek out a mat only because it has more balls leftover.
    PROUD ALUMNI of Team THP in the 2018 GRANDADDY #100Birdies10kLaughs #Captain'sApprentice thanks to and

In my Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag

Driver: EPIC FLASH 9* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
    3W: EPIC FLASH w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
    5W: EPIC FLASH w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
    Hybrid: Apex 23* w/ Catalyst 70 6.0
    Irons: Apex 5-AW w/ Elevate Tour Stiff
    Wedges: MD4 54W 58W DG S200 115
    Stroke Lab Seven S / EXO Stroke Lab Seven S
    Chrome Soft / "G" Truvis Chrome Soft X / ERC Soft

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *Range Rat View Post
    You can continue to call it that because it seems to make you feel good, but that's not what it is. I agree with what Jimbo said, relax and move on. You're about to have a cardiac episode because some guys like to hit a few leftover range balls. It's sad.
    LOL you still aren't getting it. It wasn't a few leftover range balls, it was a full range session, multiple sessions at that so at the very least it was trespassing and at worst it was stealing.

But let me get off my soapbox because you care about my heart health. We will never change each other's minds and believe me, my blood pressure doesn't go up for this kind of nonsense. I am laughing my @$$ off with the comments trying to defend whatever you want to call it.