Mini Tour Player
    Handicap
    8&rising
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by echico View Post
    LOL you still aren't getting it. It wasn't a few leftover range balls, it was a full range session, multiple sessions at that so at the very least it was trespassing and at worst it was stealing.

But let me get off my soapbox because you care about my heart health. We will never change each other's minds and believe me, my blood pressure doesn't go up for this kind of nonsense. I am laughing my @$$ off with the comments trying to defend whatever you want to call it.

I read every one of your posts and now I'm worried about your heart

I'm not a Club Pro
    Handicap
    9.5 Ugh
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SlightDraw View Post
    Ask the course if it's cool if you hit balls already at the range bays and do what they say.

Unpopular opinion here....The balls are sitting there ready to be hit. They WANT to be hit. If the course is anal about a few extra balls laying around hit for free I think they would make it a priority to scoop them up if they were left behind. Now grabbing fresh ones from the trash cans? Okay now you're pushing your luck.
    I agree with the first part, ask the course. Not joe the 16 year old at the counter but the pro or manager if no pro. If theyíre cool with it, have at it. Itís one thing (IMO of course) to buy a small Bucket and then use others leftovers but the only courses ranges that I use frequently, everyone pays for balls-even members. If someone leaves a few leftover, I think those are ok to use. If youíre swiping out of cans set out for members and you are not one, I doubt the Pro is going to feel real good about it, but hey-thatís why I said to ask:)

I'm not a Club Pro
    Handicap
    9.5 Ugh
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aljaklaw View Post
    After re-reading the OP, seems like the balls being described are complimentary, in which case I don't think it's cool to go hit them.

Balls dispensed via paid coins/tokens/cards, different ballgame.
    I agree. If someone purchased them, fair game. Iíll often offer mine to the youngest person I see on the range after Iíve paid for them and determine Iím not using them. If no ones around, Iíll often leave them.

I'm not a Club Pro
    Handicap
    9.5 Ugh
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It reminds me of this analogy. Walking through a hotel lobby there is a banquet set up for full in the blank company.

Iím not part of the banquet, but like the company at least. They have a tray of cookies there and I also like cookies.

Nobody else is currently eating the cookies and they were obviously paid for by someone. Is it fair for me to duck in and grab the cookies?
    You get those cookies JB, snag me one while youíre at it! :)

As someone that runs a business thatís open 365 days a year, management always has a dinner set up for our employees working on Xmas. One particular location I managed 12-13 years ago, I was walking back to put the finishing touches on it and a customer had wandered back into that area and was helping himself to a plate. This is clearly an employees only area and it wasnít like it was an employees spouse. When I asked him what the hell he was doing he sheepishly said ďI thought it was out there for usĒ. Ever since then I always set it up in an area that theyíd have to get really lost to even find:)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smiter For This Useful Post:

OGputtnfool (07-15-2019), PatsFan (07-15-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Leftover Range Balls?

One thing that hasnít been discussed or talked about is clean up of left over balls on the range. Whatís the labor burden? If itís my club even though labor is cheap ie high school kids the labor burden can be high. If there is a substantial number of left over balls on the range. The cart boys are going to go hit everyone down range. While they are doing this dirty carts are piling up, fresh ones are running out, oh and wait, and range balls are needing to be picked. How long would it take to move everything off the hittting , move the golfers off the range then run over it with the range picker. People hitting left over golf balls off the range are actually free labor. I worked at a course for years, and never heard a pro complain about this. The pros complained about not having enough carts, or bagged balls to sale.

The whole scum bag, trespassing thing is bs. Also, how do you trespass in a public place? Iíve never understood that. Iím welcome to come to your establishment, but if I donít like you I will have you arrested for trespassing. Sounds like a puss move by a ahole to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shmelton; 07-16-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    Driver: Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Fairway wood: Callaway X Hot
    Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 4
    Irons: Srixon Z765's 4-pw
    Wedges: Founders Club 52*, Cleveland RTX3 56*, Cleveland Tour action 60*
    Putter: Ping B60i
    Bag: HTX Stand bag
    Balls: Srixon Q Star, ProV1
    Beer: Natti Light

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shmelton View Post
    One thing that hasn’t been discussed or talked about is clean up of left over balls on the range. What’s the labor burden? If it’s my club even though labor is cheap ie high school kids the labor burden can be high. If there is a substantial number of left over balls on the range. The cart boys are going to go hit everyone down range. While they are doing this dirty carts are piling up, fresh ones are running out, oh and wait, and range balls are needing to be picked. How long would it take to move everything off the hittting , move the golfers off the range then run over it with the range picker. People hitting left over golf balls off the range are actually free labor. I worked at a course for years, and never heard a pro complain about this. The pros complained about not having enough carts, or bagged balls to sale.

The whole scum bag, trespassing thing is bs. Also, how do you trespass in a public place? I’ve never understood that. I’m welcome to come to your establishment, but if I don’t like you I will have you arrested for trespassing. Sounds like a puss move by a ahole to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you buy a bucket or bag or pass you are not trespassing. If you pay to hit 30 balls and you end up hitting 300, that is a great bargin and kudos to you. If you skip the pro shop and go to the range just to hit loose golf balls you did not pay to use the facility. A golf course (muni's are different) is not a public place.

There are signs on neighborhood golf courses that says you can't walk/bike/jog/roller blade/etc on golf holes, how is that different then just rolling up to the range without getting permission or paying to use the facilities. I understand there are courses that couldn't care less about people hitting the balls and if you have permission go ahead but if I rolled up to a course without paying and just went to hit balls I would be looking over my shoulder the whole time.

I could drive in Bandon Dunes golf resort and go to the practice area and hit all the balls I can hit, there is no security on that. I have no intention of paying a cent to the course, is that right? I personally would feel like a scumbag doing it. But then again now I am an ahole with a bad heart so what do I know.
    Driver: GBB EPIC 10.5 HZRDUS 6.0
    3 Wood: XR16 Pro
    Utility: X Forged UT 18* C Taper Light
    Irons: JPX 900 Forged 4-PW LZ 6.0
    Wedge: MD4 50*,54*,58*
    Putter: Cameron & Crown Mallet 1

Handicap
    hack
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by echico View Post
    I could drive in Bandon Dunes golf resort and go to the practice area and hit all the balls I can hit, there is no security on that.
    Cool, thanks for the heads up.

its a joke, chill
    I have only come here seeking knowledge
    That they would not teach me of in college