Time to hit golf shots!

I've been working on a 6i high cut with about 50% success in making the shot with or without the distance required. Getting the shot to work for me is more important than if I'm off on line a bit or come up a bit short or long.

I want to learn the high cut with my mid and long irons. Maybe I'll post a video of my lame attempts later today so Freddie can help.

Last round I tried to high-cut a 4i into a green 210 yards away twice. First time it worked but I started it too far right and missed the green right. Second time I aimed further left and hit it dead straight. SMH.

I'm following along FK.....now how about a series of "how too" or some insight. THP Classroom videos could be an option...throw us a bone bro.
Haha I'm coming to this class.

I learned on youtube.

I've spent a lot of time online lately watching videos on how to hit different short game shots, and then practicing them at the range. It has helped.

I've been working on cuts with my irons, with some success at the range. Only way I'm flighting anything is taking more club and swinging easier right now. Add me the list that would love to see some of this in the classroom.

I'll be honest and say I don't know how to do this very well, but I'm working in it. I know the setup changes for draws vs fades, but hitting a controlled draw with long clubs can be difficult for me (i.e. sometimes it's more of a hook) and fading short clubs is difficult.

I am fairly good at hitting choked-up knockdowns though to take 5 yards off and hit those between distances.

I have been afforded some pretty solid friends because of THP. I have meet so many quality golfers through the site. And I'm not talking about the low caps, I'm talking about guys that just know how to play.

There is a common theme among all but a couple that holds them back. The lack of golf shots. I don't know if this due to fear of missing the shot planned in their head or lack of knowledge to hit various shots. I happen to think its a mixture of both and I would love to see more people learn to hit various shots on the course.

It it is rare that we are greeted with our perfect number on the course. For example, my perfect distance with my 8iron is 167. I might end up with 155-162. That means I have to hit a hard 9iron or create a shot with my 8 iron. I know through years of practice that I can choke down an inch and take a normal swing. Or I can play it back in my stance and play a knock down or I can play a high cut. I have confidence in each choice so I'm just left to choose one.

i think learning to play golf shots can elevate your game to another level and if your tired of playing golf swing, start hitting golf shots.
Easy there cowboy I am working on a solid swing first. Once it's been ingrained and I am convinced I am there I will be bugging you about making shots lol

Well said! The Panda is WISE!

If you can control you shot, you'll play better golf and have more fun doing it, no doubt!

I like these words you speak Freddy. I've begun to incorporate shot shaping more into my game the past couple years and finally feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. Its certainly something I've had to work on.

Generally speaking my stock swing is a straight shot with a little draw, from my hybrid down I can play a high cut, but my fairways are a straight draw and while I can fade a driver, its not as controlled. As for knockdowns, those are my favorite and I'll play nearly any iron or wedge with a low spinner.

I'm curious Freddy, how do you suggest manipulating ball flight? Do you advocate for a change in setup/ball position? Change in swing path? A little of everything?

Back