Google Fiber: super high speed internet and TV service

They are coming to durham also I'm so excited for someone to out do TWC

They are coming to durham also I'm so excited for someone to out do TWC
Check att gigabit (they have an address checker in their site) as well they are in a few places around the triangle with more coming. I just switched over last week. They have not started advertising in the area because they are still pretty early in the game in the area.

Att doesn't do durham. we are frontier

Hopefully they keep expanding!

So I can get Google Fiber but not TopGolf.:banghead:

So I can get Google Fiber but not TopGolf.:banghead:

I ca't wait to play TopGolf (and will, since it should be ready sometime i the spring), but I would take the Google Fiber in an either/or EVERY TIME! Mainly because it means no Time Warner!

http://www.businessinsider.com/att-...ity--but-its-charging-more-for-privacy-2015-2

AT&T is finally challenging Google Fiber's blazing fast internet speeds in Kansas City — but it’s charging more for privacy

DAVE SMITH

It was a pretty big deal when Google chose Kansas City to pilot its Fiber program, which promised blazing fast internet speeds 75-100X faster than cable or DSL. On Sunday, AT&T announced it will finally roll out its own Google Fiber competitor, called “GigaPower,” in the same city, according to the Kansas City Star.

AT&T’s gigabit service will cost the same as Google’s — just $70 a month — but AT&T is charging customers an extra $29 a month if they want to opt out of the company’s “Internet Preferences” program, which tracks “the webpages you visit, the time you spend on each, the links or ads you see and follow, and the search terms you enter.”

AT&T’s Internet Preferences program also “works independently of your browser's privacy settings regarding cookies, do-not-track, and private browsing. If you opt-in to AT&T Internet Preferences, AT&T will still be able to collect and use your Web browsing information independent of those settings."

In other words, unless you pay the extra $30 a month, AT&T will use the information it collects about your web browsing habits to serve you targeted ads.

Google Fiber does not track users, the company tells Ars Technica — but that’s because Google already tracks its users through its various web properties like Gmail and Google+. But Google says it won’t use or associate your account with any data from your Google Fiber use — the URLs of websites you visit and the content of your communications are safe, it says — “except with your consent or to meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request."

For an extra $50, AT&T is also bundling TV and HBO with its gigabit internet service — but that $120 per month rate will only be for the first three years, according to AT&T. Adding voice to the deal costs an extra $30 a month.

Google Fiber doesn’t offer a voice service, and that one-time $300 construction fee still applies — but it still offers one thing AT&T has yet to try and match: Free 5 Mbps internet access for those that either don’t want, or can’t afford gigabit internet.

Google Fiber went out right before the start of game 1 on Tuesday, but was back on a half hour later. Luckily I have an HD antenna, but I had to find it first! Got it hooked up to see Esky's inside the park home run.

They are crediting us with two days of service, which I think is more than they needed to do. It was the first time that I can remember that we lost TV service. The timing just sucked.

I expect it will be at least a decade, if ever, before I ever see Google Fiber as I don't plan on ever living in a high population density neighborhood. I'm perfectly happy with DirecTV(have to have NFL Ticket) and my current 35Mps/8Mbps high speed connection.

I expect it will be at least a decade, if ever, before I ever see Google Fiber as I don't plan on ever living in a high population density neighborhood. I'm perfectly happy with DirecTV(have to have NFL Ticket) and my current 35Mps/8Mbps high speed connection.
We just had cable put back into our house (just internet, we have DirecTV, too---and EFF U-VERSE).

I love my new 100/10 speeds. The installer showed me a picture on his phone from after he ran some test strings in ATL. The speedtest was like 984/936. My jaw bounced off the floor.

I live in an "established" neighborhood and, until the last year, the only internet service available was DSL. I'm much happier with my 35/35 speed. Though Google Fiber would be great I don't think it will happen for at least a decade for me either and I'm surrounded by way too many people.

One thing really lacking in the Raleigh area is an awesome driving range I wish Top Golf would come here or Charlotte just so I could go when I am working out there.

Top Golf is coming to South Charlotte off I-485 if the zoning goes through.This is about 2 miles from my job!:banana:

It is coming to Charlotte. There was an article in the paper a few weeks ago.
One thing really lacking in the Raleigh area is an awesome driving range I wish Top Golf would come here or Charlotte just so I could go when I am working out there.

We had the second major outage of Google Fiber since I've had it a few days ago. The first was Game 1 of the World Series of 2015. It was out about an hour or so. This last time it was off and on the whole evening.

The first time they gave everyone three days credit on their bill the next month.

I got this email just now about what they are doing for this outage:

Hello,

As you may be aware, we experienced a TV outage that affected your service on February 14. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused, as we know that it's difficult to lose TV service during a holiday weekend.

After the outage began, our team’s top priority was to restore service to our affected customers as quickly as possible. Now that TV service is back, we’ll make sure to learn from this outage and keep striving to provide great service.

While we can’t bring back the hours that you were without TV service, we would like to offer you a month of Showtime on us. During the month of March, you'll be able to enjoy current and past seasons of many of their shows On Demand, such as Homeland, House of Lies and Billions.

There’s no action required on your part to take advantage of this promotion—you'll see and have access to the package of 22 Showtime channels starting March 1. On March 31, these channels will be automatically removed from your plan. You can view our channel guide to see where Showtime channels appear in your TV line-up.

If you have any questions, we’re always available to help. Feel free to give us a call at (866) 777-7550 or email or chat with us any time.

The Google Fiber team

I post this because Time Warner would have given it's customers a credit for that day. IF they called in to complain. Google Fiber is giving this to all of it's KC customers, even if they had no idea. I don't think I will be watching much Showtime in March, but cool they did this.

Google to test new wireless Internet network in Kansas City
Residents won't have access to service during test's early days

KANSAS CITY, Mo. —Four years after Google chose Kansas City to launch its ultra-fast broadband service Google Fiber, the company is ready to bring innovative state-of-the-art technology to the city again.

Google will make Kansas City a test lab for a new high-speed wireless network. It will put antennas on light and utility poles and shoot wireless signals from the fiber network to smart devices. Eight areas of town will get the wireless network first, including downtown, the Country Club Plaza and Waldo.

If the City Council agrees with Google’s plan, the company will pay a fee to temporarily put antennas on city light poles while the technology is tested.

Most people who spoke to KMBC 9 News said they welcome the idea of turning Kansas City into a community that’s totally Wi-Fi. There’s a catch, though. The public won’t tap into the wireless network until Google is done testing the new antenna technology. If the wireless system works, there’s another benefit. Google will be able to beam high-speed Internet into dense areas of the city where it’s too expansive or impossible to run fiber cables.

There’s no timeline for when the testing could actually get started.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/google-to-...m=facebook&utm_source=trueAnthem:+New+Content

Google to test new wireless Internet network in Kansas City
Residents won't have access to service during test's early days

KANSAS CITY, Mo. —Four years after Google chose Kansas City to launch its ultra-fast broadband service Google Fiber, the company is ready to bring innovative state-of-the-art technology to the city again.

Google will make Kansas City a test lab for a new high-speed wireless network. It will put antennas on light and utility poles and shoot wireless signals from the fiber network to smart devices. Eight areas of town will get the wireless network first, including downtown, the Country Club Plaza and Waldo.

If the City Council agrees with Google’s plan, the company will pay a fee to temporarily put antennas on city light poles while the technology is tested.

Most people who spoke to KMBC 9 News said they welcome the idea of turning Kansas City into a community that’s totally Wi-Fi. There’s a catch, though. The public won’t tap into the wireless network until Google is done testing the new antenna technology. If the wireless system works, there’s another benefit. Google will be able to beam high-speed Internet into dense areas of the city where it’s too expansive or impossible to run fiber cables.

There’s no timeline for when the testing could actually get started.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/google-to-...m=facebook&utm_source=trueAnthem:+New+Content

Thats interesting. Been thinking about getting Google Fiber but its more expensive than what we have now. Not by much but I dont have to have them dig my yard up either lol

Thats interesting. Been thinking about getting Google Fiber but its more expensive than what we have now. Not by much but I dont have to have them dig my yard up either lol

I am paying less than I paid with Time Warner. Much happier all-around.

Back