How many wedges do you play?

MontgomeryBryan

Reaction score
Handicap
Read a couple articles over the past few days that talked about how many wedges tour players utilize. According to the research it seems 50/50 on 3 wedges versus 4 wedges. It is of very dependent on how you utilize your own short game. I have even thought of going to 5 wedges at times. And it also depends on the type of courses you play.

How many wedges do you play? And why? Do you utilize them all?

Counting the set PW, I carry 4. 50*, 54*, 58* and set PW.

Yes I utilize them all. PW is full swing from 115-125 yard shots and chipping around green with more roll out. 50* is for 105-115 yard full swing. 54* is for 90-105 yard full swings, half or 3/4 swings from 60 yards and under and chipping around the green with less roll out. 58* is for anything less than 90 yards as well as bunkers and chips that require hardly any roll out.

4 wedges, set PW & GW. Also a 54* & 58*.

I carry my Apex Pro PW and 4 Mack Daddy 2's.

PW, 50, 55, 60. So 4, and I definitely utilize them all. I'm a huge fan of 3/4 wedge shots and play those often. brings all of them into play, and I use my 60 as the primary wedge around the green, which I practice a lot to be able to do so with good results.

Counting the set PW, I carry 4. 50*, 54*, 58* and set PW...

Same for me, but I also employ the set gap wedge. Set PW, Set AW, 54, 58.

PW, GW, SW, LW. 45, 50, 54, 58 degrees respectively.

Four wedges and yes I use them all. PW, AW, SW and LW.

Counting the set PW, I carry 4. 50*, 54*, 58* and set PW.

Yes I utilize them all. PW is full swing from 115-125 yard shots and chipping around green with more roll out. 50* is for 105-115 yard full swing. 54* is for 90-105 yard full swings, half or 3/4 swings from 60 yards and under and chipping around the green with less roll out. 58* is for anything less than 90 yards as well as bunkers and chips that require hardly any roll out.

This is me exactly, except distances are different.

I've got 4.

47* PW, 52, 56, 60.

I definitely use all of them. Lots of the courses around here, and near our cabin are fairly short. I find myself hitting wedge second shots very often.

I go PW, AW, 56* MD3 and 60*MD3

I go 5 wedges

PW, AW, 52*, 54*, 58*

I play 4 PW, GW, 56*, 60*

If we're counting PW, I have 4, lofts of 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*.

46* and 50* are frequently used for full shots, as well as chipping around the greens when I want some roll.
54* is sometimes used for full shots, and is my primary sand wedge. I also use it for chipping when I need extra bounce.
58* is my primary chipping and pitching club, also infrequently use for full shots and sand shots.

I use 4. PW, 52,56 and a 60* I use the 60 for pretty much anything from about 105 and in. So my wedges pretty much cover everything from 0 to 145yds.

Set PW and SW. (45 and 54 degrees, respectively.)

I am also on the 4 wedge train - set PW, 50, 54, and 58. I enjoy hitting them all, especially the PM 58 - flopalicious

4 PW (46) 50,54 and 58

I carry 4 wedges. I am a senior golfer, so the lack of distance was and is a concern for me. Because of that concern, I found an instructor with whom I can relate (a personality fit, so to speak). My initial objective strictly was to gain more distance via instruction. Fortunately, my instructor showed me certain realities and limitations that I tried to ignore. While we have not abandoned my effort to gain some distance, he convinced me its best to concentrate on my short game. He told me the object of the game is to play 18 holes using as few strokes as possible. Due to my age and physical limitations, improving my short game will best do that. So I use the wedge compliment that he suggested and we are working on the proper and effective use of them.

PW, 48 and 54

I carry 4 also. I have the set PW and AW and then a 54 and 56.

I carry PW, AW, 55 MD3 and 60 PM Grind

New irons this year so still experimenting. Set PW (45*) & SW(54*) and 56*. So far I do hit them all, but I definitely hit the PW & 56* more.

Back