How much lead tape to add?

Nwill13

Reaction score
I'm going to experiment with adding some lead tape to my irons/wedges to add a few SW points. I have searched for how much to add and see people saying 4 inches and others say 4 1/2 inches. Does anyone know which one is correct or most commonly used? The tape I have is 1/2 inch thick. Thanks.

Standard 1/2" is around 1g per 2 inches. I think.

If it is high density, one inch equals 1 gram. If regular, 1 inch equals 1/2 gram as Hawk said. 2 grams added to the head equals one SW point.

Are you cutting the shafts down or just adding the weight to the head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you cutting the shafts down or just adding the weight to the head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just adding weight to the heads.

I was planning on experimenting with some lead tape. How much is a good starting point, 2 inches/1 Gram?...and should I do that for each iron or start with the long irons for example?
Thanks

I was planning on experimenting with some lead tape. How much is a good starting point, 2 inches/1 Gram?...and should I do that for each iron or start with the long irons for example?
Thanks

If you go with the HD version it's 1 gram per inch so you won't have as much tape on your club. 2 grams at the head is 1 swing weight point.

There really isn't a "starting point". You'd need a swing weight scale to see where your clubs are at currently and then adjust from there to see if you like a different swing weight better. Don't rely on your clubs to have the factory listed swing weight, because it's likely off and is dependent on the shaft and grip installed as well as the head.

If you go with the HD version it's 1 gram per inch so you won't have as much tape on your club. 2 grams at the head is 1 swing weight point.

There really isn't a "starting point". You'd need a swing weight scale to see where your clubs are at currently and then adjust from there to see if you like a different swing weight better. Don't rely on your clubs to have the factory listed swing weight, because it's likely off and is dependent on the shaft and grip installed as well as the head.
This is not HD, correct?

54322c772602dd165388a425e95de773.jpg

Like I said, just tinkering, trying to see if a little more weight will help me feel the clubhead a little better. Thanks for info.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:
2 inches first for a few rounds.

Back