Harder Adjustment - Slow Greens to Fast Greens or Fast Green to Slow?

Harder Adjustment - Slow Greens to Fast Greens or Fast Green to Slow?

• Regularly playing Slow greens, adjusting to a Faster green

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Regularly playing Fast greens, adjusting to a Slow Green

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • Green speeds don't phase me bro, my putting is money! Why would you even ask me this question?

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters
For me it is way harder to go from slow to fast greens. Most greens I play are slow.

I dislike going from slow to fast. I'd rather know I can be aggressive with my stroke. The same stroke on some greens made of glass will go a mile past.

This is my thought too.

I really struggle with slow greens, over reading the break and leaving it short. A few months ago my course punch the greens. Even 2 weeks after I was still leaving everything short. Part of my issue is I always try to get the ball to die in the hole. I've never been one to jam it in the back of the cup.

I play my golf at my course 90% of the time and the greens are slow, but i find i can go to a course with faster greens and adjust real quick but then when i come back to my club it takes me a while to adjust back, even though i play most of my golf there. I do wish ours were faster though.

Fast or slow, it doesn't really matter to me, as long as they are consistent.
I usually try to roll a few pre round to get a good feel on the speed.
If I don't it usually doesn't take me too long to adjust.

I play greens that are generally on the slower side but have no issue adjusting to faster greens, as I prefer them, so I selected the 2nd option.

Fast to slow is more of an adjustment for me.

Fast to slow is killer for me and i found that out when i got home form the Grandaddy. Hideaway has the best greens ive ever played on. Very fast, but very true. I played that saturday after i got home and couldnt get the ball to the hole. It was embarrassing

I was thinking about that yesterday night. the greens I usually play are around 8 or 9 on the stimp, and the greens I played on yesterday were rolling closer to 4 or 5, first day of the season, very soft and long. it was ridiculous, but somehow, I adjusted fairly quickly and ended up with 30 putts.

last year when we got to Olde stonewall, the greens were much faster (11.5 I think) than what I am used too, and I found that to be the hardest adjustment.

Fast to slow is much more difficult for me. Putts don't break the amount I think they should and the bigger the stroke, the more that can go wrong.

Id say fast to slow. Way harder to convince myself to smash the crap out of the ball than it is to just tap it

Fast to slow is tougher for me. On slow greens I catch myself hitting at the ball to get it going instead of a smooth stroke.

I find it harder to adjust for the faster greens. Blowing by is hard to stop.

My home course has the slowest greens of all the courses I play. I just give myself two putts there so I don't get too used to slow greens because my adjustment from slow to fast is much harder.

Also, green speed is not only about putting, but about pitching and chipping as well, and fast greens tend to amplify short game errors

Back