Scrambles do they get old?

My regular foursome plays about 3 times a week, and we try to vary the matches we play. But it usually comes down to 2-man team best ball, 2-man team stableford, or a 2-man team scramble. Except for the scramble we always play our own ball. I enjoy all of them.

I love scrambles....but I only do them once or twice a year.

The scramble was invented by the devil. My rule is to ask who the charity is, right them a check and spare myself the agony of playing in the event.

Scrambles typically benefit a charity or some cause, so I don't mind them. If I'm playing its for that reason so I just go to have fun and support a cause

This is my answer as well. I like scrambles because they seem alittle more relaxed to me

Scrambles are fun, as long as you drink a lot and have no illusions of winning.

Scrambles are a great format for charity/social events as stated in previous posts. If someone is using a scramble format to try to reduce their handicap or qualify for the tour then you will probably be very disappointed.
Scrambles are a great format for everyone to hit a few balls, having a couple drinks, if they wish, support the sponsored charity/cause and just have a lot good old fashion fun.

I enjoy playing in my company scramble. I know going in the winning score will be around -16 and I have no chance to win so I play for fun. I enjoy the time with my brother and cousin. Yes they take forever, and it's usually miserably hot but I enjoy them.

My first introduction to golf was at my company golf outing last fall where we played a scramble and I just signed up a group for my daughter's soccer club's outing in a couple weeks.
For me it's not the perfect format but it allows for someone like me to not have to worry about every single shot and most importantly it gets me out of the office and on the golf course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first introduction to golf was at my company golf outing last fall where we played a scramble and I just signed up a group for my daughter's soccer club's outing in a couple weeks.
For me it's not the perfect format but it allows for someone like me to not have to worry about every single shot and most importantly it gets me out of the office and on the golf course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are a great way to get someone like yourself involved in the gsme without the pressure of having to play your own shots the entire hole and round.

Glad you're enjoying the game so far!!

The scramble was invented by the devil. My rule is to ask who the charity is, right them a check and spare myself the agony of playing in the event.

Lol. I just don't have time for a 9 hr round of golf. It can be painful watching the newbies miss the ball and such. Also people get too drunk to function and hold everyone up.

I still like playing them once a month but really hate the cheating. It's beyond crazy!!

Man, I LOVE me some scrambles. Get the boys together and have some fun, usually eat some solid food and maybe have an adult beverage or two, and they are usually for a good cause or some sort of fundraiser and that's what it's all about. (And maybe the skin )

We used to play in like 4/5 a year but that's tapered off the last couple years. Still try and get into a couple but it's hard to get everyone's schedule to link up.

I recently played a very enjoyable format in the Men's Golf Association at my course.....they call it "Pass the Pill"

4 person teams A\B\C\D players
One each hole all 4 tee off, after the tee shot one player is chosen as "The Pill" and that person plays their own ball for that hole and the other 3 scramble...the total for the hole is the combined score of the scramble and "The Pill"

2 Players must be "The Pill" 5 holes and the other 2 4 holes each....so there is some strategy involved as well.

It was alot of fun and gave you a chance to play a little more actual golf instead of swinging for the fences at every shot.

I play in a few a yr and its just a reason to get out with people I otherwise wouldn't get out with and is the only time I don't care how I play.

Up here charity scrambles are just an excuse to get out of work and drunk with some friends and try to cheat enough to win. I would rather just donate my money now days rather than play in one.

Generally agree with the comments on scrambles being for socializing and charity. Generally, dislike them as a competitive format due to in inevitable cheaters in the field. I did used to be in a league where we had a 4 player scramble at the end of the season and in that context it was a wonderful social and competitive event, because all the players handicaps were established through league play. This eliminated any sandbagging and since we played together all year year-after-year, it was an honest competition too.

Yes, they get old. The format is a bit boring and it encourages cheating.

The last one I did was a 3 man scramble where another team is paired with you and is your marker. Took forever to finish but there was no cheating.

Scrambles, to me, are a kind of hollow game. If I'm going to pay for a round, I'd rather play a regualr scoring round. with scrambles, I kind of feel cheated out of 3/4 of my shots.

I haven't played in a scramble in a few years. In 3 weeks I am playing in one and I am looking forward to it. I don't go to win necessarily, just to have fun and typically support a good cause. I have a hard time focusing like others have said. Scrambles are not something I like to do frequently but once a year or so seems to be ideal for me.

Scrambles are fun because you can relax, and they usually offer food. Although ive seen them taken very serious, but mostly who cares if people cheat? Play greenies with your group, enter the 50/50 raffle or whatever, have a beer. Dont pay for long drive or closest to the pin because those are bad bets. Ive come dead last in a scramble tournament 5 or so years ago, and still had a good time.

Although they are good money makers, I dislike charity scrambles personally. As previously mentioned, would rather make a direct donation or volunteer my time to help rather then play. I remember after playing in my first charity scramble event with my Grandpa, we won some money. He said I could do as I wished with my share, but as it was a charity event we should give the money back to support the cause. Took a minute to sink in, but made sense and felt good to do. I'm fortunate to play with a group of guys that share that same philosophy should we happen to cash in an event. Wish more teams would do that.

The course I grew up on hosts 3-4 "serious" invitational scrambles every year. They have a Labor Day 2-Man that is a 2 day tourney with 60+/- teams. The format for both days is a scramble on the front 9 and best ball on the back nine. Saturday's round is used to flight the event and establish the calcutta. Sandbagging has happened in the past, but I can only think of maybe 2 instances where teams have not been invited back in the last 20 years that I have been playing. For smaller events, I would think the scramble/best ball format would work well.

but mostly who cares if people cheat?

Most if not all charity/fundraiser event organizers. Once the word is out that an event doesn't do anything about teams that cheat, that event is toast. I can only speak for events in my neck of the woods (So. central Nebraska), but would hope this holds true elsewhere.

The are useful for some things. I wouldn't say the event gets old, but peoples conduct around scoring does

They do get old and tiring. It seems playing a scramble I'm more worn out than if I had walked 2 rounds.

I prefer a shamble or best ball personally but when you have as many people as typically play scrambles, that would take 2 days to play.

Back