2016 Olympic Golf

I wish they were doing something other than 72 hole individual stroke play. Wish they had some sort of team aspect to it.

Golf in the Olympics

Golf in the Olympics

We're starting to hear a bit more discussion regarding the 2016 Olympics which as everyone knows by now includes golf for the first time since 1904. What is your opinion on this event as it relates to what we've become accustomed to seeing our favorite pros play in? The format is an individual 72 hole stroke play event, yet there is still the honor of playing for your country in there as well. It's definitely not a team event per se, but it's not really a singles event either.

I don't know if the golfing communities are embracing this as much just yet, based on the fact that we don't have an ongoing thread on it I am also assuming that a lot of you guys aren't really embracing it either. Is that true? What are your thoughts on it? Obviously you'll watch, I'm sure. But where would this rank to you, a viewer in terms of importance on the golf schedule? Schedule wise the Olympics falls a couple of weeks after the PGA Championship and a couple of weeks before the FedEx Cup playoffs are set to start. So is this a major in your eyes? Equal to the FedEx cup? More like a WGC event?

What do you think?

It's going to be epic I can't wait. I just wish it was team format

I think it will be fun, a lot of fun.

for it to be considered like a major though, I think it will depend a lot of that first time. if this year's tournament goes well and gains traction, I think the 2020 tournament could be considered as a major

I agree that it'll be a lot of fun to watch. I'm just wondering the overall significance of the event compared to what we have had for as long as we can all remember. I guess to me I kind of look as it as similar to a WGC event in that we'll have most of the top ranked players in the world playing, but it's still not a major championship victory. Or is it bigger than that? I don't know.

This is going to be so much fun to watch! And the Team USA gear looks sick! Love the mens polos.

I'll watch it. But, I'm not embracing it. The field will be weak. And, there are too many variables in golf to proclaim 2-person team Olympic Golf Medalists after 72 holes. Olympic Golf Medalist is supposed to mean that you are the greatest in the world at your event. It will definitely not mean that for the golf event.

Maybe it'll be more exciting because of the variables. With most of the other Summer events, you basically know who the best in the world is. And, that person will more than likely win, unless they make a mistake. With golf, I'm sure there will be 2-3 favorites. But, with the normat 72 hole stroke play format, it wouldn't surprise me if a couple of "no names" get some medals. It will be great for their country. But, the rest of the world will be "Meh. I'm flipping the channel over the watch the John Deere (where Spieth probably won't be defending his title). Who's playing in the Wyndham next week?"

Aug 11 - 14
Olympic Men's Golf Competition Olympic Men's Golf Competition
Olympic Golf Course, Rio de Janeiro, BRA
Aug 11 - 14
John Deere Classic John Deere Classic

Aug 18 - 21
Wyndham Championship Wyndham Championship

Here's an interesting stat. As of today:
For the Women's event, 24 of the Top 60 are from South Korea.
For the Men's event, 25 of the Top 60 are from the USA.

Im really digging Team USA's Polo. Might have to find a way to snag one up for myself. Would be a nice piece for the man cave.

Here's an interesting stat. As of today:
For the Women's event, 24 of the Top 60 are from South Korea.
For the Men's event, 25 of the Top 60 are from the USA.
Wow, that is interesting indeed.

And what the US only gets to bring 4 players, is that what I read?

I agree that it'll be a lot of fun to watch. I'm just wondering the overall significance of the event compared to what we have had for as long as we can all remember. I guess to me I kind of look as it as similar to a WGC event in that we'll have most of the top ranked players in the world playing, but it's still not a major championship victory. Or is it bigger than that? I don't know.
Many countries only put money into a sport if there is a chance to win a gold medal. This should lead to an influx of new golfers, golf schools ect

We're starting to hear a bit more discussion regarding the 2016 Olympics which as everyone knows by now includes golf for the first time since 1904. What is your opinion on this event as it relates to what we've become accustomed to seeing our favorite pros play in? The format is an individual 72 hole stroke play event, yet there is still the honor of playing for your country in there as well. It's definitely not a team event per se, but it's not really a singles event either.

I don't know if the golfing communities are embracing this as much just yet, based on the fact that we don't have an ongoing thread on it I am also assuming that a lot of you guys aren't really embracing it either. Is that true? What are your thoughts on it? Obviously you'll watch, I'm sure. But where would this rank to you, a viewer in terms of importance on the golf schedule? Schedule wise the Olympics falls a couple of weeks after the PGA Championship and a couple of weeks before the FedEx Cup playoffs are set to start. So is this a major in your eyes? Equal to the FedEx cup? More like a WGC event?

What do you think?

The Olympics for me is just kinda meh. It's going to be cool to watch, but I wish it was more of a team event to give the guys green lights to go for shots they wouldn't necessarily attempt in individual stroke play. For me it'll just be something to hold me over to the Ryder Cup. To me the Olympics don't even come close for excitement to the Ryder Cup.

I'll watch it just to see what it will be like. Wish it was more of a team sport.

It will be fun to watch that is for sure. We will see some names not familiar show up to play? Maybe so.

I would 100% wear ALL of those outfits! I'm pretty confident I'll own at least the bottom left polo once/if they are available!

Outside of a few events I don't really watch the Olympics. Golf will be one I watch but it isn't something that has me excited to watch them more

The Olympics for me is just kinda meh. It's going to be cool to watch, but I wish it was more of a team event to give the guys green lights to go for shots they wouldn't necessarily attempt in individual stroke play. For me it'll just be something to hold me over to the Ryder Cup. To me the Olympics don't even come close for excitement to the Ryder Cup.
That was kinda my question exactly. Wondering what people thought of it in relation to say the Ryder Cup. I think you're right, I feel the same way personally as I'm sure many of us do.

I wonder if we'll get a ton of fresh eyes watching golf that normally wouldn't though, I know for example I'll watch certain Olympic events that I'd never watch otherwise. So hopefully this will be a great opportunity to grow the game a bit.

I am more excited to see how the course turned out than anything. It sounds like Hanse had lots of hurdles and roadblocks during the process.

I was expecting the olympics to run a Matchplay event, I'm not sure why. I think playing it as Matchplay with rankings based on current OWGR could make it more fun and mean someone big could go out earlier giving some smaller country a better chance. But it is what it is and I will still be watching it...

Updated field for the men's golf competition after the Masters:

Here is a look at the 60 players currently in line to tee it up in Brazil:

1. Jason Day (AUS)

2. Jordan Spieth (USA)

3. Rory McIlroy (IRL)

4. Bubba Watson (USA)

5. Rickie Fowler (USA)

6. Henrik Stenson (SWE)

7. Adam Scott (AUS)

8. Dustin Johnson (USA)

9. Danny Willett (GBR)

10. Justin Rose (GBR)

11. Louis Oosthuizen (RSA)

12. Hideki Matsuyama (JPN)

13. Branden Grace (RSA)

14. Sergio Garcia (ESP)

15. Byeong-Hun An (KOR)

16. Rafael Cabrera-Bello (ESP)

17. Shane Lowry (IRL)

18. Emiliano Grillo (ARG)

19. Kiradech Aphibarnrat (THA)

20. Danny Lee (NZL)

21. Soren Kjeldsen (DEN)

22. Bernd Wiesberger (AUT)

23. Thongchai Jaidee (THA)

24. David Lingmerth (SWE)

25. Victor Dubuisson (FRA)

26. Anirban Lahiri (IND)

27. Martin Kaymer (GER)

28. Thomas Pieters (BEL)

29. Fabian Gomez (ARG)

30. Thorbjorn Olesen (DEN)

31. K.T. Kim (KOR)

32. Shingo Katayama (JPN)

33. Joost Luiten (NED)

34. Francesco Molinari (ITA)

35. Ricardo Gouveia (POR)

36. Miguel Tabuena (PHI)

37. Alexander Levy (FRA)

38. Graham DeLaet (CAN)

39. Alex Cejka (GER)

40. David Hearn (CAN)

41. S.S.P. Chawrasia (IND)

42. Ryan Fox (NZL)

43. W.C. Liang (CHN)

44. Fabrizio Zanotti (PAR)

45. Mikko Ilonen (FIN)

46. Ashun Wu (CHN)

47. Brendon de Jonge (ZIM)

48. Camilo Villegas (COL)

49. Angelo Que (PHI)

50. Roope Kakko (FIN)

51. Nicolas Colsaerts (BEL)

52. Danny Chia (MAS)

53. Jhonattan Vegas (VEN)

54. Rodolfo Cazaubon (MEX)

55. Wen-Tang Lin (TPE)

56. C.T. Pan (TPE)

57. Carlos Ortiz (MEX)

58. Adilson da Silva (BRA)

59. Mardan Mamat (SIN)

60. Siddikur Rahman (BAN)

This had been rumored for months, and is now official: Adam Scott announces he will not play in the Olympics.

Cgc1u8sWwAATruF.jpg

Interesting to say the least. Wonder if there is more to the story.

Gotta be more to that story it would seem.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back