Putting Practice Idea - Technical Practice for % grade and break

Linkster@FM

Reaction score
Handicap
On my golf league this past week, I started a discussion about putting with another guy about getting a feel for the break of greens. And, by getting a feel for percent grade with your feet. He has a laser level that he practices with by trying to get a clear feel of the grade.

I was quite impressed when he patiently showed me his practice... He walked on to a green and got a feel of the green under his feet.... Said it was about a 1.5% ... Laid down a laser level and it read 1.49%! Very cool. Then, he planned his break based on this information. He does this practice on his driveway and marks up different areas with the grade %. I never thought to do something that precise, but am seriously considering adding this to my practice routine. Anybody else do this... Or hear about it?

I would like to know more about the laser level used. Is it a common tool readily available? Or is it a golf specific item? Feel is feel, and if one could practice the feel of slope by doing it in other locations such as a driveway, I say so be it. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I like to use my feet to feel break but I certainly don't translate it into a figure and base my line on the figure. I prefer to use feel to confirm what my eyes see. I think that method would be very good for someone with a detailed engineer type mind.

I would like to know more about the laser level used. Is it a common tool readily available? Or is it a golf specific item? Feel is feel, and if one could practice the feel of slope by doing it in other locations such as a driveway, I say so be it. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi Jack - The level is called eLevel by a company called iGaging. It is available on Amazon for just under 40 bucks. My friend let me borrow his, but haven't started to use it yet (just a day ago). Here is the specs....

http://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Digital-Magnetic-Laser-Level/dp/B002TDE9D0

Hope this helps. I do understand that this is more technical (like getting a number)... but relating the feel in the feet to exactly how much grade can be a good thing, I am thinking.

Thats what you do in Aimpoint, find the % slope, and then you know where to start the ball using the aimpoint method, really quite easy with practice. You can also use the clinometer app on play store or itunes.

Pretty much AimPoint Express in a nutshell. Then it is just a matter of calibrating the slope to your aim metric. I now use my feet before my eyes. I always believe my feet over my eyes.

Back