Fresh off the presses...standing by for feedback!

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
My instructor took a video today during the lesson so I wanted to toss it up here to get FK's take. Thanks in advance for the feedback, and please don't be alarmed by the fresh Adidas Puremotion shirt :D

https://vimeo.com/163038594

Last edited:
I'm not Freddie, but 2 questions:
1) What is your normal miss? I have an idea of what it probably is, but I want to hear it from you.
2) How the eff are you a 23.5 cap with that action?

Looks pretty decent!

1) What is your normal miss? I have an idea of what it probably is, but I want to hear it from you.

I was thinking the same...but maybe Josh is a hustler on the course.

Wonder if that hcap travels? That's a dayum fine swing for a 23.5.

As of late, my miss has been a pull largely due to that lovely OTT move you see. And because of those misses, I end up in trouble and having to drop shots which of course increases my scores!

Looks pretty decent!

Thank you sir!

I was thinking the same...but maybe Josh is a hustler on the course.

Haha, the only person getting hustled is me by ME :wink:

Wonder if that hcap travels? That's a dayum fine swing for a 23.5.

Thanks brotha! We'll see in May :D

Damn brother, that looks good. If you can get the sequencing right you will murder that ball.

I can attest to his wayward lefts... he hits some that have gone off the planet. And then he will hit one 300 right down the middle.

As of late, my miss has been a pull largely due to that lovely OTT move you see. And because of those misses, I end up in trouble and having to drop shots which of course increases my scores!

So here's another question: what are you and your instructor working on? I'd give some advice, but if it goes against what your instructor says, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to do that.

So here's another question: what are you and your instructor working on? I'd give some advice, but if it goes against what your instructor says, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to do that.

Tempo, wrist hinge and full turn are the main things we've been working on. Of course there are little adjustments during the lessons, but those three items are what I'm trying to drill into this thick skull of mine at the moment.

Damn brother, that looks good. If you can get the sequencing right you will murder that ball.

I can attest to his wayward lefts... he hits some that have gone off the planet. And then he will hit one 300 right down the middle.

Thanks bro! Yesterday at Laguna Seca was disastrous so I'm more determined than ever to get some consistency in my swing. I donated far too many balls to the OOB cause yesterday and I'll be damned if I'm doing that nonsense at #TheGauntlet!

Tempo, wrist hinge and full turn are the main things we've been working on. Of course there are little adjustments during the lessons, but those three items are what I'm trying to drill into this thick skull of mine at the moment.

Obviously, I'll let Freddie say more, but you have to come over-the-top because you're flat at the top of your backswing, so you have to make a move to get the club back out in front of your body on the downswing. I can't put up still images like Freddie can, but you actually get into a good position with the club when it is parallel to the ground on the downswing, but it's coming in a little steep because of the over-the-top move so you're going to get pulls if the face is square to the path or cuts/slices if the face is open.

Your first move is what gets you inside and flat, you whip the club behind you with the wrists instead of hinging them upward. When the club is parallel to the ground on the backswing, a good position to have is the club also parallel to the target line and along the line of your toes. Your clubhead is well behind your body at that position, so the butt end of the club points well out to the right instead of down the target line. Feel to try: on the takeaway, hinge your wrists straight up like you're going to hit yourself in the face with the clubhead. It will feel really weird, but it will get you more on plane on the backswing. If you really want some immediate feedback: go outside your home and take your setup with your back a foot away from a wall, and then take your backswing. With your current backswing, you're going to hit the wall every time. If you make a backswing without hitting the wall, you're getting your backswing more vertical. Getting it more on plane in the backswing should allow you not to have to re-route the club in the downswing, and let you lead with the lower body and shallow out the club in the downswing.

Your first move is what gets you inside and flat, you whip the club behind you with the wrists instead of hinging them upward.

this is what I first noticed also.. nice swing nonetheless hicksta

Obviously, I'll let Freddie say more, but you have to come over-the-top because you're flat at the top of your backswing, so you have to make a move to get the club back out in front of your body on the downswing. I can't put up still images like Freddie can, but you actually get into a good position with the club when it is parallel to the ground on the downswing, but it's coming in a little steep because of the over-the-top move so you're going to get pulls if the face is square to the path or cuts/slices if the face is open.

Your first move is what gets you inside and flat, you whip the club behind you with the wrists instead of hinging them upward. When the club is parallel to the ground on the backswing, a good position to have is the club also parallel to the target line and along the line of your toes. Your clubhead is well behind your body at that position, so the butt end of the club points well out to the right instead of down the target line. Feel to try: on the takeaway, hinge your wrists straight up like you're going to hit yourself in the face with the clubhead. It will feel really weird, but it will get you more on plane on the backswing. If you really want some immediate feedback: go outside your home and take your setup with your back a foot away from a wall, and then take your backswing. With your current backswing, you're going to hit the wall every time. If you make a backswing without hitting the wall, you're getting your backswing more vertical. Getting it more on plane in the backswing should allow you not to have to re-route the club in the downswing, and let you lead with the lower body and shallow out the club in the downswing.

Thanks Ary, that's good stuff! I forgot to mention we were also working on take away because I noticed how flat my backswing got. I was trying to get it a touch more vertical so it'd be easier for me to get on plane, but I've been fighting OTT move forever so the battle continues. I'm going to give that drill a try though to try and ingrain the move. I appreciate the feedback!

To my eyes nice tempo and acceleration through the ball! You look athletic and stable through out the swing. Nice. I'm not not very technical in my swing knowledge, so that's about all I've got. But it is clear to me you have the core to be a very good ball striker in this maddening game! Hope we get a chance to play together some day.

Ok Josh, your swing is half good and half controlled. I'm glad you and your instructor are working on specific things. It means you have purpose when you practice. And it seems that you are committed to getting better.

Your flexibility seems to be limited. The clubs get into position due to this lack of flexibility. That being said the club 'looks' good at the top of your swing. But in reality you back swing is too short. This sets up the down swing and the slight OTT start to the down swing.

Your initial take away is a bit to manufactured and is getting the club behind you too quick and shut. I'd like it if you're going to work on a wrist hinge that the club head travel slightly outside the intended target line on the way back. Imagine standing on railroad tracks, feet on one and club head on the other. The club should finish at the right hip between the two tracks. It get here by making sure the club head is low and outside the outer track or in front of you hands. Right now it's behind your hands.

A few things will happen with this move. A. The width of your back swing will get greater without over swinging once you get to the top. B. This will keep the club in front of your chest. C. If you don't change your shoulder turn, it get you behind the ball and still keep the club short of parallel. D. Helps get the chest over the inside of the right leg

I would ask your pro his thoughts before jumping into this. He is hands on and I'm viewing a video. He may agree but want to go at another way. But to me this is the area of the swing that is setting the table for the rest of the swing.

Ok Josh, your swing is half good and half controlled. I'm glad you and your instructor are working on specific things. It means you have purpose when you practice. And it seems that you are committed to getting better.

Your flexibility seems to be limited. The clubs get into position due to this lack of flexibility. That being said the club 'looks' good at the top of your swing. But in reality you back swing is too short. This sets up the down swing and the slight OTT start to the down swing.

Your initial take away is a bit to manufactured and is getting the club behind you too quick and shut. I'd like it if you're going to work on a wrist hinge that the club head travel slightly outside the intended target line on the way back. Imagine standing on railroad tracks, feet on one and club head on the other. The club should finish at the right hip between the two tracks. It get here by making sure the club head is low and outside the outer track or in front of you hands. Right now it's behind your hands.

A few things will happen with this move. A. The width of your back swing will get greater without over swinging once you get to the top. B. This will keep the club in front of your chest. C. If you don't change your shoulder turn, it get you behind the ball and still keep the club short of parallel. D. Helps get the chest over the inside of the right leg

I would ask your pro his thoughts before jumping into this. He is hands on and I'm viewing a video. He may agree but want to go at another way. But to me this is the area of the swing that is setting the table for the rest of the swing.

Thanks FK! We have also been working on increasing my turn and of course my practice swings feel like they're deeper swings but then I see the video and I'm wondering WTF happened. When you say the backswing seems manufactured do you mean forced in a sense? I had been trying to make it more 'outside in' but I didn't want to get too carried away. And hinging the wrists earlier is probably one of the main things I've been trying to attack since my swing had a lot less hinge about 2 months ago.

A lot of good going on here but until you get on plane you will not maximize it.
I don't need to add anything as a lot of good comments so far.

Great thoughts in here! Relax your grip and body tension comes to mind at the top. Good stuff by people in the know... .02

I would ask your pro his thoughts before jumping into this. He is hands on and I'm viewing a video.
No offense to Tadashi as I really like what he offers on this forum, but I'm very curious why you would solicit opinions here when you have a hands on instructor giving you lessons. Did you ask him for his feedback on the video?

No offense to Tadashi as I really like what he offers on this forum, but I'm very curious why you would solicit opinions here when you have a hands on instructor giving you lessons. Did you ask him for his feedback on the video?

Mainly because the deficiencies are something I've been battling for years so I'm interested in hearing other perspectives. What Tadashi said is not too different than what I've already been told so I have even more confirmation I am working on the right things.

Last edited:
Back