Scratch this job off your list!

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
Not suprising. Coaches at that level are nuts.
Their is a pat Riley story that for a job interview he will bring the coach in. And then the first thing they do is go out to check his trunk for golf clubs. Same idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't want to work for him either. For what the assistants get paid compared to the head coach, this is laughable. Everyone is entitled to preferences and we probably take this to heart a little bit more than others, but it's still funny.

Need something to take mind off work. Definitely would not work for someone like that

Their is a pat Riley story that for a job interview he will bring the coach in. And then the first thing they do is go out to check his trunk for golf clubs. Same idea.

I once worked for a VP of Sales who didn't mind his sales staff playing golf, after all it was a good client relationship building tool. But he told me, he didn't want to see that any of them were very good players. Because that meant they spent a lot of time practicing alone. He'd rather you be an average to bad player and play with clients regularly than practice.

Kiind of a unique way of thinking, but in this case being a 17 HC was good for my career :D

As a GT alum, I'm all for this!! The basketball team went from a consistent competitor to a bottom feeder in the ACC. Hope Pastner can turn it around.

(I'm pseudo-kidding about being all for it. LOL)

I once worked for a VP of Sales who didn't mind his sales staff playing golf, after all it was a good client relationship building tool. But he told me, he didn't want to see that any of them were very good players. Because that meant they spent a lot of time practicing alone. He'd rather you be an average to bad player and play with clients regularly than practice.

Kiind of a unique way of thinking, but in this case being a 17 HC was good for my career :D

That is actually pretty funny. Makes sense when you think about it too but just an interesting way to look at it I guess.

That is actually pretty funny. Makes sense when you think about it too but just an interesting way to look at it I guess.
Yeah, I guess that's why he gets the big bucks. Ha

And true to his belief, he was a Mid to high capper himself.

Maybe the real reason was he didn't wants any of his employees bearing him. LOL

He was a great guy to work for. He called me up one day and said. Do you have any appointments tomorrow morning. I hesitated to say no (ha) but when I said no.

He said you do now, we're playing TPC with a friend of mine. Man did work productivity take a dive the rest of that day.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I can understand the mentality of that statement but I for one would not even consider a job where they can dictate my outside life.

Resume withdrawn

Yeah, I guess that's why he gets the big bucks. Ha

And true to his belief, he was a Mid to high capper himself.

Maybe the real reason was he didn't wants any of his employees bearing him. LOL

He was a great guy to work for. He called me up one day and said. Do you have any appointments tomorrow morning. I hesitated to say no (ha) but when I said no.

He said you do now, we're playing TPC with a friend of mine. Man did work productivity take a dive the rest of that day.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a pretty good boss. I could work for a guy like that. Haha

I was on a 15 year plan to work my way up to a hoops head coaching job in college. I was offered 2 jobs to be an assistant coach to start working my way up. The first was for ZERO INCOME but they would give me a dorm room- the head coach said I could work at UPS or FedEx loading trucks from 5 AM to around noon, then work for him until about midnight... I obviously didn't take it. The second was after I was married and had started a family and it was for $25000. No housing, no car, nothing, just $25k to live off of. Couldn't do it as my wife is a hair stylist and she wouldn't have income for a few years until she built up clientele.

I always worked camps in the summer to make friends in the college ranks. One late night at Davidson College's camp (Steph Curry's school), an Asst and I were talking about my plan to get in the industry. He had been an assistant for years at that point, we both had kids the same age and he told me, "Don't do it. You'll never be home and you'll miss birthdays, holidays, vacations, etc. We have one month a year for our families- July, and that's it. Don't do it if you want to stay married and enjoy your kids." I'll never forget it...

It takes a LOT of work to build a top level program, but it doesn't take 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, and if a coach like Pastner says one works seven days, and the applicant is married, it's not worth it. I know a bunch of head coaches in college and the really good ones know about giving the assistants time each week for family and understand how to work smart, not just hard. Pastner will wear out his assistants and he will have turnover except for his top two that will be paid six figures. To me, it's not so much about not letting a coach play golf, it says more about taking ANY time away. Nope. I'd never work for a guy like this. Besides, he'll always be second fiddle to UNC and Duke...

Wth JP as a coach at GT, they have a lot more to worry about than golf :act-up:

I kinda kid.......really.

JM

Huh I never realized Memphis was even a school still after Calipari left.

Is this guy special or something?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Huh I never realized Memphis was even a school still after Calipari left.

Is this guy special or something?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Im gonna go with not really, but that's just me......

JM

Oh no doubt, I can't even imagine the hours they put it. I just thought it was funny that he singled out golfers!

I think I remember Steve Spurrier saying that when he first started in college coaching, he was told the same thing. College coaches didn't have time for anything other than recruiting, game planning and coaching. He seemed to do ok.

I think I remember Steve Spurrier saying that when he first started in college coaching, he was told the same thing. College coaches didn't have time for anything other than recruiting, game planning and coaching. He seemed to do ok.
Spurrier was known to schedule Redskin practices and camps around tee times at his local club. That's not lie. It wasn't surprising he phoned in his resignation to Dan Snyder from a golf course in Florida. Loved that guy!!

I find it unreasonable for an employer to tell me what I can and cannot do in my spare time, as long as it is legal.

But I am not a coach of a Div I sport. So there's that....

And mental health is important for a reason. People need to "get away" for a while, why not the golf course? Is it worse than the local bar?

I find it unreasonable for an employer to tell me what I can and cannot do in my spare time, as long as it is legal.

But I am not a coach of a Div I sport. So there's that....

And mental health is important for a reason. People need to "get away" for a while, why not the golf course? Is it worse than the local bar?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing! I suspect that most coaches know what they're getting into when they get these jobs, but there are plenty of other activities that could could take away from team activities too. I wonder if he got the idea as he climbed the coaching ranks?

Wow...it's not so much that he doesn't want a golfer on his staff, but thinking that 7 days a week is any kind of life for anyone, is a bit hard to fathom. I'm all about having someone who's committed to their job, but to basically tell a possible employee "You're mine 100%" wouldn't fly with me. Even IF I was young and single and didn't play golf.

As a GT alum, I'm all for this!! The basketball team went from a consistent competitor to a bottom feeder in the ACC. Hope Pastner can turn it around.

(I'm pseudo-kidding about being all for it. LOL)

Yeah, its not like coaching at a major college in Georgia would get them access to any good courses either. :alien:

Scratch this job off your list!

To give everyone somebackground on pastner. This is an older article but speaks to his obsessive lifestyle.
uofmtigers.blogspot.com/2009/04/excellent-article-on-josh-pastner-from.html?m=1

Last edited:

I work in Procurement and we call that "Customer Golf."

Re the 24/7 lifestyle, there's a reason why so many guys like Dick Vermiel and "Chuckie" Gruden did not last long at the pro level - that 24/7/365 mentality. It can work, but Chuck Noll and one of his assistants, Tony Dungy, had a "leave at five or six every night and have dinner with the family" rule, and they seemed to do OK, too. Chuck and Tony wasted no time - zero - during a work day.

Someone should send this Poser guy or whatever his name is a copy of the "Sharpen the Saw" chapter from Covey's Seven Habits.

And one more thing - how does he feel about his players being student-athletes, or athlete-students, or anything other than athlete in their description?

That is one of the two weirdest interview tests I have ever heard of. The other was a former manager who told me that the hiring manager told him he passed a key test during lunch. He tasted his food before asking for the salt. This was a Big Oil company. His rationale was anyone who put salt on his/her food without tasting it first had too many preconceived ideas to work for this manager.

Back