OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Came across this "tuning guide" for the M1. Can anyone here speak knowledgeably on it?

The attached pic shows that if you turn the sleeve to "LOWER" the club is set to 7.5° loft (9.5° head) and 4° open.

If that is right, then if hit in that setting and the face is returned to square, it'd be effectively a 3.5° loft driver. It's no wonder I hit it low on that setting.

If it's not like that and it's set to be 7.5° at impact (with a square face at impact), then that means the actual loft at address would have to be 11.5° and that makes the chart look weird.
fdf0a4a17226bd732f3c35f0581f6ea9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have the M1 2017 (10.5) and recently my driving went to crap. I normally am fairly straight but fight a slice sometimes. Then all of a sudden I was hooking balls, couldn't the ball in the air, and couldn't hit it out of my all shadow. I couldn't figure out what it was. I thought it was a recent swing change. Then I remembered that I was messing around at the range and dropped the loft down to 9*. So basically I decreased the loft, opened the face, and dropped my spin to disastrous effect . I also have both weights set all the way back. Not a good combination for me.

Came across this "tuning guide" for the M1. Can anyone here speak knowledgeably on it?

The attached pic shows that if you turn the sleeve to "LOWER" the club is set to 7.5° loft (9.5° head) and 4° open.

If that is right, then if hit in that setting and the face is returned to square, it'd be effectively a 3.5° loft driver. It's no wonder I hit it low on that setting.

If it's not like that and it's set to be 7.5° at impact (with a square face at impact), then that means the actual loft at address would have to be 11.5° and that makes the chart look weird.

The loft assumes the club face is square. If the club were delivered 4* open the loft would still be 9.5*.

See the example of Titleist which should work basically the same when lofted up or down. Notice the note at the bottom.

qfzvny96u0kzwr5jwduq.jpg

Dave

The loft assumes the club face is square. If the club were delivered 4* open the loft would still be 9.5*.

See the example of Titleist which should work basically the same when lofted up or down. Notice the note at the bottom.

qfzvny96u0kzwr5jwduq.jpg

Dave
I don't think the Titleist and TM adapters can possibly work similar. They're completely different designs.

The club face can't be 9.5° loft while square AND 4° open.

I don't think the Titleist and TM adapters can possibly work similar. They're completely different designs.

The club face can't be 9.5° loft while square AND 4° open.

It's true the TM has a single cog system and the Titleist 2 cogs, but with either approach you are angling the shaft into the club head, only the Titleist lets you adjust lie and loft/face angle independently.

Any adjustment system is really changing lie angle and face angle, not the loft. The "loft" change only occurs because the face angle is then made square.

The video below is long, but Tom knows his stuff.

You might be best e-mailing Taylormade.

Dave

It's true the TM has a single cog system and the Titleist 2 cogs, but with either approach you are angling the shaft into the club head, only the Titleist lets you adjust lie and loft/face angle independently.

Any adjustment system is really changing lie angle and face angle, not the loft. The "loft" change only occurs because the face angle is then made square.

The video below is long, but Tom knows his stuff.

You might be best e-mailing Taylormade.

Dave
I think I might be better off emailing Tom Wishon.

with a squared face, it's 7.5 loft OR 4 open, or whatever the numbers are.

this will be the same/similar for all single bend hosel types.

Back