Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Received this from a friend who is playing and wanted thoughts on ruling:
1. If Turkey deflects ball OB
2. Ball hits turkey but stays in play
35eceb89dd0ec7312d03db1890c23e73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is an accident then you play the result of the balls final resting place. If the ball went OB then it is OB. If the ball stays put then you play from there. No penalty for hitting animal.

Turkey did survive and limped off to woods. It was accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is an accident then you play the result of the balls final resting place. If the ball went OB then it is OB. If the ball stays put then you play from there. No penalty for hitting animal.

Would it change the ruling if the person declared before they hit the ball that they were trying to hit the turkey?

If the animal deflected the ball O/B, then wouldn't you play it from where it would have gone if the animal had not interfered with the ball?

I'm the furthest thing from a rules expert, but I would think it's the same as if it would have hit a spectator yeah? Sign your glove and hand it to the turkey.

I'm the furthest thing from a rules expert, but I would think it's the same as if it would have hit a spectator yeah? Sign your glove and hand it to the turkey.

With a rolled up Benjamin in the glove. Phil Style.

Would it change the ruling if the person declared before they hit the ball that they were trying to hit the turkey?

If the animal deflected the ball O/B, then wouldn't you play it from where it would have gone if the animal had not interfered with the ball?

Think Phil Mickelson stopping his putt on the green at US Open. If you purposely try to alter a ball in motion then it is a 2 stroke penalty. This could be your caddie sticking his foot out to deflect, pushing your push cart in hope to stop a ball, etc. So even if you say that you are aiming at the turkey if you have no influence on moving the turkey to deflect ball then it is OK. Think Miguel Angel Jimenez bouncing one off the wall back to the green. He knew he was going to hit the wall but he didn't influence the ball because the wall was stationary.

That is my interpretation of the rules so I am open to anyone else educating me as well.

As far as going OB, you have to play the ball where it lies. If the animal or rake or stake or house knocks the ball OB then the ball is OB.

Think Phil Mickelson stopping his putt on the green at US Open. If you purposely try to alter a ball in motion then it is a 2 stroke penalty. This could be your caddie sticking his foot out to deflect, pushing your push cart in hope to stop a ball, etc. So even if you say that you are aiming at the turkey if you have no influence on moving the turkey to deflect ball then it is OK. Think Miguel Angel Jimenez bouncing one off the wall back to the green. He knew he was going to hit the wall but he didn't influence the ball because the wall was stationary.

That is my interpretation of the rules so I am open to anyone else educating me as well.

As far as going OB, you have to play the ball where it lies. If the animal or rake or stake or house knocks the ball OB then the ball is OB.
What if a bird catches my ball mid-flight over the fairway and carries it O/B?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If the ball is at rest in bounds then a turkey picks it up and throws it ob then you can play it where it was. Anything before it comes to rest is rub of the green as they say.

Sucks to suck as the saying goes.

I thought this was going to be a Wild Turkey rules question. In which case it drastically would change my answer.

I thought this was going to be a Wild Turkey rules question. In which case it drastically would change my answer.

It was kind of a Wild Turkey question, but just not served with ice kind of question.

Rule 11 - Ball in Motion Accidentally Hits Person, Animal or Object; Deliberate Actions to Affect Ball in Motion

Purpose of Rule: Rule 11 covers what to do if the player’s ball in motion hits a person, animal, equipment or anything else on the course. When this happens accidentally, there is no penalty and the player normally must accept the result, whether favourable or not, and play the ball from where it comes to rest. Rule 11 also restricts a player from deliberately taking actions to affect where any ball in motion might come to rest.

Rule 11 - Ball in Motion Accidentally Hits Person, Animal or Object; Deliberate Actions to Affect Ball in Motion

Purpose of Rule: Rule 11 covers what to do if the player’s ball in motion hits a person, animal, equipment or anything else on the course. When this happens accidentally, there is no penalty and the player normally must accept the result, whether favourable or not, and play the ball from where it comes to rest. Rule 11 also restricts a player from deliberately taking actions to affect where any ball in motion might come to rest.

so does that mean if he saw the ball headed for the turkey, He would be unable to yell at the turkey to scare it away and prevent the turkey from being hit? Now insert human in place of turkey. Same effect?

Back