What is a Putter Fitting?

The Edel fitting cart I've seen has varied weight ranges worked into the fitting (Head, Shaft End, Overall).
It is specific to their sales program but I can see how that information could be generally useful.

Also, to bring this up again, the laser pointing and alignment are a big part of Edel's pitch.

DG_ 1234, personally I would include alignment aids and sound at impact into the important factors to consider. Would those be "non" fitting issues?

Some years ago , for the Masssachussets Institute of Technology, Edel did a presentation about putter fitting, and when asked about grip type Edel responded that grip size-shape-weight etc... did not matter. Once I heard that I stopped paying attention to any of Edel's thoughts about golf equipment.
Regarding laser-pointing and alignment, I have mixed thoughts about that. On the one hand there have been plenty of Tour pros who made lots of putts with their putter faces aligned well left or right of their target line. They make compensations during their stroke and it works. On the the other hand I believe having one's putter face (at address) square to the target line is likely to be the easiest set up from which to be a consistently good putter. So, I guess the best response I can give about laser-alignment tools for putting is that for some players it makes good sense, but for others not so much.
Regarding "sound at impact" I 've observed that the heavier the putter head, the more pleasing the sound. In fact this is why 20 years ago Scotty Cameron led the way towards 330 grams to 350 gram putter head weights. Cameron and other putter makers recognized that these heavier heads offered a pleasing impact sound, even on mishit putts.
For comparison, the putters available during the 1950's, 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's were in the 290 gram to 315 gram head weight range, and a mishit putt with one of those had a terrible impact sound.

The laser point alignment is what showed me I need a flange line instead of a topline. I already deloft a touch and do so much more with an alignment aid on the top. Quite helpful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Has your putting improved since moving from a topline alignment aid to a flange line ?

Has your putting improved since moving from a topline alignment aid to a flange line ?
Tough to say. I have noticed less bouncing on long putts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a fitting scheduled for tomorrow morning.
Can't wait!

The fitting I recieved at #TheGrandaddy has made a huge difference. I was playing the wrong neck of putter. Along with getting fit into the correct neck and the technology of the Strokelab, I am putting better than i ever have in the 26 years I have played golf! Having an average under 2 strokes hole is huge to me!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back