What is a Putter Fitting?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What does a putter fitting do? We spoke with the team at Club Champion and they broke down what they do during a fitting to help the golfers find the right putter for them.

Good info. I’m sharing this video with a few friends who’ve been trying to find a putter.

Very informative video. Putter fitting is definitely on the list of things I need to do to improve my overall game; probably high up there.

JB, any chance we can get a putter fitting vid for a staffer - akin to jdtox's driver fitting last year? Know it's a big ask, but it would be cool for us to have an idea how the interaction goes, and a behind the scenes into the fitter's thought process.

A lot of good information in this video. Certainly something I would love to do someday.

• Admin
Very informative video. Putter fitting is definitely on the list of things I need to do to improve my overall game; probably high up there.

JB, any chance we can get a putter fitting vid for a staffer - akin to jdtox's driver fitting last year? Know it's a big ask, but it would be cool for us to have an idea how the interaction goes, and a behind the scenes into the fitter's thought process.

Im sure that can definitely be done soon.

Im sure that can definitely be done soon.

Thanks JB! It would be cool to see concepts explained in this vid, like how different alignment types affect a golfer’s aim. Or how much effect a degree of loft can have on distance control.

Things I wouldn’t typically think of at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the best things I ever did for my game was getting a putter fitting back from Club Champion. Not just to see how you manipulate the putter through impact, but to see your arc and overall set up and how it’s affecting (positively or negatively) your putting.

It helped me understand what the face was doing throughout the stroke and what type of putter i should be using. From toe hang to loft of the putter, if you are serious about being a better putter I can’t recommend a fitting enough.

Pretty cool info, I'd love to do a putter fitting some day to either confirm my thoughts or blow my mind

the club champion putter fitting i received was very disappointing. Hit 10 putts with my putter and was told "it's perfect". I didn't know what I know now and didn't know the right questions to ask, so that was it. I could have definitely come in more prepared and knowledgeable, but that really shouldn't matter. Glad others have had a better experience.

Good stuff. Now I have a general idea when I take my nephew to Edwin Watts this weekend to buy him a new putter, this will be the last club I'll be purchasing for him. He had six 3 putts in his last round and I never liked his blade putter anyway, ever.

Saturday I'll surprise him and have him for a 1pm appointment to roll some putters and pick which one he likes.

Thanks for the video. Great reference.

Good video. I actually just had a putter fitter at Club Champion on Tuesday and I was pretty mind blown. I love data, big data especially so to get all the data I received I was pretty stoked. I just ordered my putter yesterday and am super excited to get it. I am hoping with practice to see my average PPR drop significantly because right now, it is freakin' trash.

Thanks JB! It would be cool to see concepts explained in this vid, like how different alignment types affect a golfer’s aim. Or how much effect a degree of loft can have on distance control.

Things I wouldn’t typically think of at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might have missed it, but I curious about alignment and aiming and soaking up more on that aspect.
Enjoyed the video.

To be honest, I think green reading and alignment is my weakest area on putting. Not the roll, impact, or stroke.

Out of anything I've had done at Club Champion, the putter fitting has been the most beneficial. Like so many of us, I went through putters constantly. I would LOVE a putter for a few weeks and then my putting would go to crap again. CH fit me into a Betennardi BB1 adjusted properly 3 seasons ago and it's still in my bag. I have absolutely no intention of replacing it anytime soon - best money I've ever spent on a fitting.

Putter fittings are pretty eye opening. I had one at CC myself a few years ago. The rep at the time kept trying to sell me a ridiculously expensive Edel that I wasn't interested in. Regardless, I was able to use that data to make sure I'm in a good putter for me and even work on my stroke some to get to a point where I'm hitting down on the ball less. Looks like CC opened another location that is closer to me. May book them up for a putter fitting just to see if my stroke has changed like I think it has.

Out of anything I've had done at Club Champion, the putter fitting has been the most beneficial. Like so many of us, I went through putters constantly. I would LOVE a putter for a few weeks and then my putting would go to crap again. CH fit me into a Betennardi BB1 adjusted properly 3 seasons ago and it's still in my bag. I have absolutely no intention of replacing it anytime soon - best money I've ever spent on a fitting.

Did you buy through them or get fit and purchase elsewhere?

I have putted really well at two points in my life, both were shortly after putter fittings. I highly recommend it and plan to do it again a some point in the next couple years.

I have putted really well at two points in my life, both were shortly after putter fittings. I highly recommend it and plan to do it again a some point in the next couple years.

I know you putted well at Hammock Beach after the Odyssey fitting.

I know you putted well at Hammock Beach after the Odyssey fitting.

I really did and have putted better than usual since. Trying to use the putting mirror to monitor my setup as I think that was the biggest takeaway I got from each fitting.

I really did and have putted better than usual since. Trying to use the putting mirror to monitor my setup as I think that was the biggest takeaway I got from each fitting.

Your posts have convinced me to break that out next week for work.

I am seriously considering getting fit for a new putter.

Could that help checkered and I win the THP Budget Golf Championship?

I am seriously considering getting fit for a new putter.

Could that help checkered and I win the THP Budget Golf Championship?

I would say it couldn’t hurt.

I believe the most important factors to a putter fitting, in order, are as follows:

1) shaft length (influences a player's address posture, distance from the ball, line of site from the eyes, aim , stroke path and more)
2) putter head weight (influences balance of the complete putter, sense of touch and more)
3) putter total weight (influences balance of the complete putter, sense of touch and more)
4) grip shape , size, and weight (influences type of grip technique a player uses, stroke path, total weight and swing weight of the complete putter and more).

I've never witnessed a Club Champion putter fitting but doubt very much if a CC shop has the inventory of components needed to do what I would consider to be a true-honest "putter fitting" . That is head weights ranging from about 300 to 400 grams, shaft lengths ranging from about 32" to 40", and grip sizes/weights from slender to large, light weight to heavy weight. I know Scotty Cameron's putter fitting studio offers little to none of the above, and I doubt there is a shop or business out there which does.
All factors considered, to find a putter which is truly a good fit, I recommend players buy various putter head weights-shaft lengths- grip sizes and grip weights etc... then go through their own trial and error process to find which combination of shaft length-head weight-grip size and weight produces for them their best putting results.

I believe the most important factors to a putter fitting, in order, are as follows:

1) shaft length (influences a player's address posture, distance from the ball, line of site from the eyes, aim , stroke path and more)
2) putter head weight (influences balance of the complete putter, sense of touch and more)
3) putter total weight (influences balance of the complete putter, sense of touch and more)
4) grip shape , size, and weight (influences type of grip technique a player uses, stroke path, total weight and swing weight of the complete putter and more).

I've never witnessed a Club Champion putter fitting but doubt very much if a CC shop has the inventory of components needed to do what I would consider to be a true-honest "putter fitting" . That is head weights ranging from about 300 to 400 grams, shaft lengths ranging from about 32" to 40", and grip sizes/weights from slender to large, light weight to heavy weight. I know Scotty Cameron's putter fitting studio offers little to none of the above, and I doubt there is a shop or business out there which does.
All factors considered, to find a putter which is truly a good fit, I recommend players buy various putter head weights-shaft lengths- grip sizes and grip weights etc... then go through their own trial and error process to find which combination of shaft length-head weight-grip size and weight produces for them their best putting results.

The Edel fitting cart I've seen has varied weight ranges worked into the fitting (Head, Shaft End, Overall).
It is specific to their sales program but I can see how that information could be generally useful.

Also, to bring this up again, the laser pointing and alignment are a big part of Edel's pitch.

DG_ 1234, personally I would include alignment aids and sound at impact into the important factors to consider. Would those be "non" fitting issues?

The Edel fitting cart I've seen has varied weight ranges worked into the fitting (Head, Shaft End, Overall).
It is specific to their sales program but I can see how that information could be generally useful.

Also, to bring this up again, the laser pointing and alignment are a big part of Edel's pitch.

DG_ 1234, personally I would include alignment aids and sound at impact into the important factors to consider. Would those be "non" fitting issues?
The laser point alignment is what showed me I need a flange line instead of a topline. I already deloft a touch and do so much more with an alignment aid on the top. Quite helpful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back