The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get 4 weeks (vacation and sick time) plus 10 holidays. Not allowed to bank it at all. That is a whole month which to me is a lot. Keep in mind there are only 22-23 work days in a month. We have people that wait until December then never come back until the new year. I personally am not a fan of that as a few people doing that screws the rest of us for that month. It's a catch 22 employees need time but there is a HUGE cost to the business when they are out and it is not just laying for that employee to "not work".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You got that right.
People (majority) are very quick to forget they do get vacation every single week.

PTO is a blessing and a curse, depending on how the company sets it up. I have worked for some companies that combine EVERYTHING...vacation, sick days, personal days and holidays into PTO. So while 24 may sound like a lot on the surface, you take just the major holidays New Years, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, that accounts for 6, so now you're down to 18. Say you have 10 sick days (not just you being sick, but factor in Dr's appointments and kids being sick) now you're down to 8. So that's less than two weeks of vacation a year, and that's without taking an extra day say after Thanksgiving or before or after Christmas.(OR THP EVENTS!! :bananadance:)

I think having the flexibility of using one large bank of time as you see fit is a good thing, as not everybody celebrates the same holidays. But I think companies have shrunk those days over the years when they used to be counted separately. just my opinion.

I think PTO is awful. I would much prefer a larger chunk of solid vacation days for the company, but for mine, it's going the other direction. I hate taking time off, and I hate passing off work.

Basically, I end up working the extra hours at night, and then worry while I'm off. It's dumb.

Every company I have ever worked with did not include Christmas/Thanksgiving as part of PTO. In fact most dont. Hospitality and some retail are about it since offices are closed.

However lets assume that is how a company operates.
That leaves 18 days and 2 days off every week.

To me that is plenty of time off of work. As I said, everybody is different, but I find that as generations come and go, the amount of work done, appears (important word in this sentence) goes with it. All of this mentally fit stuff and this and that to me is phooey. Thats exactly what Saturdays and Sundays were brought on for.

I dont expect people to work the same way as all of the others...But if they dont want to, quit demanding more ****.
I'm with you on this. A mental day is just another way to say lazy to me. Most people that think they are busy (not all) are just awful at managing time. Granted it is a bit different with kids but even still it is always amazing to me the amount of people that want to work under 40 hours but be paid like they are working 80.

I'm with you on this. A mental day is just another way to say lazy to me. Most people that think they are busy (not all) are just awful at managing time. Granted it is a bit different with kids but even still it is always amazing to me the amount of people that want to work under 40 hours but be paid like they are working 80.

I'm not sure about lazy in total (although there are a LOT of lazy people in this world), but rather, I think they just hate their job.... and won't do anything to improve it or find something else.

I'm not sure about lazy in total (although there are a LOT of lazy people in this world), but rather, I think they just hate their job.... and won't do anything to improve it or find something else.

You are right here.
Gone are the days of people packing up and moving for better opportunities and taking chances.
Thats not to say it is right or wrong, but comfort is king, in the country now (good and bad) and nobody should ever touch their mental/physical comfort.

And I dont say anything of this to say my way is right or someone should feel otherwise, but its the same way I feel about all entitlement. People should get what they put into it.

Every company I have ever worked with did not include Christmas/Thanksgiving as part of PTO. In fact most dont. Hospitality and some retail are about it since offices are closed.

However lets assume that is how a company operates.
That leaves 18 days and 2 days off every week.

To me that is plenty of time off of work. As I said, everybody is different, but I find that as generations come and go, the amount of work done, appears (important word in this sentence) goes with it. All of this mentally fit stuff and this and that to me is phooey. Thats exactly what Saturdays and Sundays were brought on for.

I dont expect people to work the same way as all of the others...But if they dont want to, quit demanding more ****.

In whole i think we're in agreement. Although I slightly disagree with needing a mental break sometimes as phooey. I'm sure there are several highs tress positions, law enforcement, fire department and others, that reach a poit, where physically and mentally, they just need a break. And hopefully those organizations offer enough PTO or leave for them to do so, I wouldn't know, not having worked in those fields.

My previous 22 years were in the hospitality industry, so all holidays were lumped into PTO if you wanted them off. Even when I had the 21 range, i rarely used them all. There were often times, I would work 6 or 7 days for long stretches, and I would unofficially "bank" those days as comp days and my bosses/owners were fine with that as they saw what they got from me on a daily basis. I honestly can't tell you the last time I took an entire week off at once. I generally find, I like to take more three or four day weekends throughout the year, than the traditional one or two week vacation during it.

amazing to me the amount of people that want to work under 40 hours but be paid like they are working 80.

That may be the most accurate statement in the entire discussion!!

Yes this is a much better way of saying it. Lazy was just a generalization. You know how sensitive I can be with words ;)

Yes this is a much better way of saying it. Lazy was just a generalization. You know how sensitive I can be with words ;)

It's such a unique thing. Hate working by someone else's rules, but don't want to do it on own. The ones with all of the responsibility are he ones that are the devil.

You are right here.
Gone are the days of people packing up and moving for better opportunities and taking chances.
Thats not to say it is right or wrong, but comfort is king, in the country now (good and bad) and nobody should ever touch their mental/physical comfort.

And I dont say anything of this to say my way is right or someone should feel otherwise, but its the same way I feel about all entitlement. People should get what they put into it.

it's kind of a product of the working world though, isn't it? I'm not there isn't opportunity because there absolutely is, but I think (and understandably so) people are afraid to change in fear of losing everything. Satisfaction in work is often heavily outweighed by stability.

it's kind of a product of the working world though, isn't it? I'm not there isn't opportunity because there absolutely is, but I think (and understandably so) people are afraid to change in fear of losing everything. Satisfaction in work is often heavily outweighed by stability.
I think it is a mindset and truly evaluating yourself. For me if I step back I want to be able to say I am the best (or one of the best) at what I do and being my harshest judge. So many get comfortable they don't push and when they step back are truly not the best. In that case then yes I can see why stability matters more.

To me if you are truly amazing at what you do then while there is risk it is smaller if you take a jump. The guys just skimming by then I would recommend keeping that status quo or truly striving for more.

It all comes back to a conversation I had a few weeks ago with my brother in law. He is a pharmacy manager so makes decent money and is very smart. He is in his mid 30s and talking about stepping down from being a manager and cutting back his hours to 32. He believes he has everything he needs and can more than live off the cut back hours and the pay check and be much happier. Now me on the flip side it is never enough I always strive for more while a little younger in my late 20s him and I are in similar positions life wise. For me it is more ego driven than it is possession based I want to be known as the best to others and more importantly to myself and will keep doing everything I can to get there.

It all goes back to what the individual wants and wants to make out of work. Nothing wrong either way but to expect something more for nothing is not realistic and so many do it.

It is always amazing to me the amount of people that want to work under 40 hours but be paid like they are working 80.

It's such a unique thing. Hate working by someone else's rules, but don't want to do it on own. The ones with all of the responsibility are he ones that are the devil.

Summarized in the first 20 seconds of this video:

I agree. However my issue comes in when the hate comes towards those that do hold the responsibility because they are the ones that took the chances. It used to be the American Dream, now its "I deserve". People forgot the word dream comes in.

I have never understood the need for weeks off on end. I say that as just me. We didnt take them growing up, that is probably part of it. We didnt have money, so what my father made, he saved. It worked out in his favor, long term. Nowadays, it simply wont work out in your favor, because there is no such thing as the American Dream. Its the American I Deserve.

I have long said that I think that the work week should be 6 days and off on Sunday. Cut 75 minutes from each day and get 6 extra PTO days per year. It would be a huge cost educational thing to get people to understand why, but they would technically get more of everything. Employers get more, people get more, government gets more.

We had too many children for about two decades and now we are stuck as a country where labor doesnt want to be done and everybody wants more money for less work (I cant blame them).

We get 10 days of vacation, and 10 days of personal/sick time to use a year and every 10 years you get 5 more vacation days.

I never use all of my personal/sick time, but I use all of my vacation time and I encourage my team to use days at their discretion. When you have a strong team dynamic, there is a sense of loyalty to the group and not once in the last 2.5 years of the 3 have I had an issue with unscheduled days. No one on my team uses all of their personal either, but I also have no problems with people leaving early/coming in late for personal matters so they are less likely to burn a whole day. Most of my team also prefers to work from home when sick which I allow.

The world is full of a$$holes.

I think it is a mindset and truly evaluating yourself. For me if I step back I want to be able to say I am the best (or one of the best) at what I do and being my harshest judge. So many get comfortable they don't push and when they step back are truly not the best. In that case then yes I can see why stability matters more.

To me if you are truly amazing at what you do then while there is risk it is smaller if you take a jump. The guys just skimming by then I would recommend keeping that status quo or truly striving for more.

It all comes back to a conversation I had a few weeks ago with my brother in law. He is a pharmacy manager so makes decent money and is very smart. He is in his mid 30s and talking about stepping down from being a manager and cutting back his hours to 32. He believes he has everything he needs and can more than live off the cut back hours and the pay check and be much happier. Now me on the flip side it is never enough I always strive for more while a little younger in my late 20s him and I are in similar positions life wise. For me it is more ego driven than it is possession based I want to be known as the best to others and more importantly to myself and will keep doing everything I can to get there.

It all goes back to what the individual wants and wants to make out of work. Nothing wrong either way but to expect something more for nothing is not realistic and so many do it.

This is a conversation i have with my wife and my dad all the time. I think some focus on a number, some focus on stability, some focus on what makes them the best, and the smartest people find a balance in all of it. I am incredibly satisfied with my current role and have little to no interest in moving upwards into different roles that bring on a totally different working experience. I am pretty confident that I am shorting my business potential in the long run, but am certain I am retaining a quality of life and control over working in a position I believe i am highly proficient in.

My dad really can't fathom it. He believes strongly in ladder climbing and not stopping until there's nowhere to go. My wife believes it will keep things interesting with new challenges. I believe the challenges and experiences I have outside of my day to day work more than make up for an 'exciting' career while maintaining full control over my working landscape. And with that I say, thank goodness for remote access work.

I have a mentor and she told me that professionally to constantly evolve yourself every 5 years or so. Whether it's moving up the ladder, extending your education/certifications, etc., constantly strive to be better. Now I know that isn't going to work for some people, but for me that's what I needed to hear. I don't want to the top dog, but I'm constantly pushing myself to be the best at what I do and maximize my earning potential with the right fit.

I spent 10 years with my previous employer and once I hit the ceiling for what I did I made the jump that will give me more opportunities to grow and earn. Was I afraid? Heck yes I was, but it was a move that I needed to make to keep growing.

This is a conversation i have with my wife and my dad all the time. I think some focus on a number, some focus on stability, some focus on what makes them the best, and the smartest people find a balance in all of it. I am incredibly satisfied with my current role and have little to no interest in moving upwards into different roles that bring on a totally different working experience. I am pretty confident that I am shorting my business potential in the long run, but am certain I am retaining a quality of life and control over working in a position I believe i am highly proficient in.

My dad really can't fathom it. He believes strongly in ladder climbing and not stopping until there's nowhere to go. My wife believes it will keep things interesting with new challenges. I believe the challenges and experiences I have outside of my day to day work more than make up for an 'exciting' career while maintaining full control over my working landscape. And with that I say, thank goodness for remote access work.

Yep and each viewpoint is great for the individual making the choice. No one can fully decide other than the person in the position

I find myself at a crossroads when it comes to career path. I absolutely hate how my industry is going down a terrible path and I see it getting worse, not better.

That said if I stay where I am and just slog through the next 35-45 years I'll always be comfortable and have a decent quality of life. Is it worth throwing that away for a dream or a maybe? Maybe it is, maybe it's not.

Yep and each viewpoint is great for the individual making the choice. No one can fully decide other than the person in the position

Dude you should see my dad squirm when we talk about my 'career' hahahahaha

I can usually make him turn upside down when I say "which job?" referring to my writing career.

What's the dream brother? While stability is definitely a good thing, I guess you have to ask yourself if you can live with it not trying.

I find myself at a crossroads when it comes to career path. I absolutely hate how my industry is going down a terrible path and I see it getting worse, not better.

That said if I stay where I am and just slog through the next 35-45 years I'll always be comfortable and have a decent quality of life. Is it worth throwing that away for a dream or a maybe? Maybe it is, maybe it's not.

What's the dream brother? While stability is definitely a good thing, I guess you have to ask yourself if you can live with it not trying.
Well that's the question isn't it? Right now I'm living my original dream and its dawning on me that the day to day stress doesn't equal the compensation - but it's a good gig and I like the work.

My main issues with this job are industry-related and I only know this industry. Upheaving current stability to simply try the same industry from another angle will probably just land me in the same spot in a few years.

A good job is something I don't take lightly and can be tough to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back