DC MD VA Area Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just old Pinecrest for me tomorrow morning.
You should know every blade of grass there by now

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You should know every blade of grass there by now

Haha I do and you can never beat free golf.

Haha I do and you can never beat free golf.
That's true I wish I still worked at a golf course sometimes

That's true I wish I still worked at a golf course sometimes

Yeah, I help out with the Junior League it is pretty fun actually. We finished 2nd last season and had a chance to win it but we fell apart.

We also have practices which forces me to practice also and not just play when ever I can.

We also have practices which forces me to practice also and not just play when ever I can.
Well that's a good thing

Anyone here play Oak Creek in Upper Marlboro? Thoughts? Impressions?

One thing I'm not impressed with is a 5 hour and 30 minute round...

I have not but a couple people I know have and they weren't overly impressed by it. This was last summer I guess. I spoke to a guy yesterday who said he played it recently and the greens were lightning quick. That's about all I've heard, I'd love to hear more of your experience.

I had a groupon deal and I played their a few weeks ago with a friend. Like CAA_Beat posted...I was not impressed either. On the front 9 it is mostly straight ahead holes that are pretty boring. The back 9 is a little more interesting...but not much. Also, they have some black bunkers that are not sand...but made out of some other material....not sure what..but seemed odd.

We played on a Sunday and although their were a lot of people there the round didn't seem to take more than 4 hours/30 mins.

What courses are down around you? Since u drove up this way last time

Sorry I missed this yesterday. I got sidetracked. The closest ones by me are Potomac Ridge, White Plains and Swan Point... but I don't mind traveling. Although now after getting sidetracked yesterday, I'm not available to get out until later in the day. Probably have to take a "sunny and 77" check for next time.

I have not but a couple people I know have and they weren't overly impressed by it. This was last summer I guess. I spoke to a guy yesterday who said he played it recently and the greens were lightning quick. That's about all I've heard, I'd love to hear more of your experience.

The course needs another month to finish coming in. Fairways were really still dormant. The greens were recently punched and rather bumpy. Didn't mind the layout, but the conditions don't warrant in season rates.

It was SLOW. Tee time was 1430 and the starter sent us off 15 minutes early cause the 1420 group was a no show. There was a foursome in front of us who were deathly slow. They were playing from the Tips or Blues (7111 or 6510 on the card) and two of the four were consistently left and 100-150 yards off the tee. Clearly not skilled enough for those tees. I know this because we were either waiting on them to finish teeing off or came up on the two looking for tee shots in the woods left of the fairway from holes 2-9...We were waiting consistently 5 minutes or more to tee off on every hole. Granted there was a group in front of them that bogged down a bit, but there was no effort to step it up.
The marshal came through when we were on 7 tee (waiting) and asked how things were going...I asked him if he wanted an honest answer...He said yes, so my displeasure with the group in front was expressed. I was that guy. Marshal said we were right on time, but I reminded him we were sent off 15 minutes early and the group in front should be two groups ahead time wise...
We saw the marshal between 9 and 10 and he told us he sent that foursome back to play the front 9 again. That worked for a few holes until we caught the other group on 14 and it bogged down again.
I may play there again in a few weeks, when the conditions are better, but never on a weekend again.

CAA-Beat:

Permit me to inquire regrading the relationship of the courses owned by Anne Arundel county. A few years ago, I purchased what was called an "Advantage Card" at Compass Pointe' but it also provided similar "Advantages" at the Eisenhower Golf course. I actually renewed the card at Eisenhower the next year and that card still showed Compass Ponte on it. It is now my understanding that the frequent player programs do not provide for both Compass Pointe and Eisenhower to the same degree. In a sense, it requires one to make a choice between the two courses when entering a frequent player program. Is this the case or do I just not understand. It's not that I dislike Compass Pointe, I play there often and like the courses, it's singularly that I live much closer to Eisenhower.

CAA-Beat:

Permit me to inquire regrading the relationship of the courses owned by Anne Arundel county. A few years ago, I purchased what was called an "Advantage Card" at Compass Pointe' but it also provided similar "Advantages" at the Eisenhower Golf course. I actually renewed the card at Eisenhower the next year and that card still showed Compass Ponte on it. It is now my understanding that the frequent player programs do not provide for both Compass Pointe and Eisenhower to the same degree. In a sense, it requires one to make a choice between the two courses when entering a frequent player program. Is this the case or do I just not understand. It's not that I dislike Compass Pointe, I play there often and like the courses, it's singularly that I live much closer to Eisenhower.

Kinda, sorta :)

Here's a summary, as brief as I can make it

Eisenhower-Still has the Advantage card. $35 for the year. it entitles you to 20% off greens fees at Eisenhower, and also offers a 20% discount at Compass Pointe.

Compass Pointe-Offers The Pointe Card also $35, discounts at CP are tiered: Rounds 1-4 are 20% discount, 5-8 are 30% discount and rounds 9 up are 40% discount thereafter. It also give you the 20% discount at Eisenhower. However rounds played at Eisenhower with The Pointe Card do not count toward the Compass Tiered rounds.

Hope that helps.

Might have to go to this!

Demo_Day_Raspberry_zpsddcyjbor.jpg

I might maybe be able to make that. No games that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy to report that, yesterday, I played my second round of golf since my health problem has set me back. It was a MISGA outing at my old club, Prospect Bay. I was rather pleased with my driver and putter, but everything else has a lot of rust. My only real concern is that after playing about 12 holes, I really started to tire which had an effect on my game. Unfortunately, currently, that means I must limit my activity to no more than 18 holes a day.

I'm happy to report that, yesterday, I played my second round of golf since my health problem has set me back. It was a MISGA outing at my old club, Prospect Bay. I was rather pleased with my driver and putter, but everything else has a lot of rust. My only real concern is that after playing about 12 holes, I really started to tire which had an effect on my game. Unfortunately, currently, that means I must limit my activity to no more than 18 holes a day.
Good news UVA...glad to hear you back out there. it probably will take some time to buiild up the stamina. Don't rush it and over do it. Plenty of golf left this year.

Good news UVA...glad to hear you back out there. it probably will take some time to buiild up the stamina. Don't rush it and over do it. Plenty of golf left this year.

Thanks for the encouragement my friend. Yes, it has been somewhat depressing not having the ability to play for a while and my health concerns are still there to some extent, but I am playing again. However, there is a positive to all this, in one aspect. Prior to this happening, I took the game and the enjoyment with friends somewhat for granted, while I appreciated the experience, having it taken away creates a new perspective, a new deeper appreciation for the game and the enjoyment with others. Trust me, you really miss it when its gone, more than you know. If you ever hear me complain about anything on the golf course, please kick me in the butt, remind me how great it is just to play and enjoy friends.

Thanks for the encouragement my friend. Yes, it has been somewhat depressing not having the ability to play for a while and my health concerns are still there to some extent, but I am playing again. However, there is a positive to all this, in one aspect. Prior to this happening, I took the game and the enjoyment with friends somewhat for granted, while I appreciated the experience, having it taken away creates a new perspective, a new deeper appreciation for the game and the enjoyment with others. Trust me, you really miss it when its gone, more than you know. If you ever hear me complain about anything on the golf course, please kick me in the butt, remind me how great it is just to play and enjoy friends.

I'll remind you of the bolded part, the next we step on the tee of hole 17 at River Marsh :banana:

I'll remind you of the bolded part, the next we step on the tee of hole 17 at River Marsh :banana:

Actually, my first round was at River Marsh. I got over the water, but still took my typical 5, and it didn't bother me as much. But I am human, so, yes, I might need a kick from a friend on occasion as a reminder.

C'mon Wahoo ... you know you love #17! HA!

C'mon Wahoo ... you know you love #17! HA!

Holes 17 and 18 at River Marsh provides sufficient incentive to do well on holes 1 through 16. Actually, over my last few rounds hole 17 has become less of an obstacle. Now its time for me to address hole 9. Never the less, River Marsh is the primary week day venue for my buds and I.

Anyone available Monday for a round of golf somewhere in NoVA? Maybe Algonkian from the tips, easy walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have tomorrow off. If I feel up to the drive, might hit up raspberry... If not, maybe mountain branch

Have tomorrow off. If I feel up to the drive, might hit up raspberry... If not, maybe mountain branch
You wanna drive to Rock Harbor to play in a tournament with JohnSinVA and myself? Already paid for as T2GRN won't be joining us. Starts at 1 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back