rightsiderough

Reaction score
Handicap
22.7 OOB
I saw the commercials for this and liked the idea of it. In doing more research it seems like they provide extremely useful information on how all the individual movements in a swing should feel as well as building a swing from the ground up. I did read the other forums entire thread. I know I am going to hate listening to the instructors new age crap and enthusiasm. (New Englanders hate enthusiasm). Reaching out to see if anyone has been gone through this and their experience.

No Response means no one bought the snake oil. I'll do it though!

So Day 1 Tathata Golf 60 Day Program:

I can deal with this guy. The infomercials are pretty cheesy, but you got a sense of the actual nuts and bolts of the training despite that. It is pretty close to other people's description of a yoga instructor. It is very similar to any martial arts training you've done, if you've ever done any. (I didn't do anything wimpy btw, just some basic mma style stuff, wrestling and bjj). Day 1 goes through set up and starts building out a backswing, but in very small movements and gives great in depth instructions on how each part should feel. Touches on feet, alignment, how open/closed, how the knees should feel, how back should feel, head should feel, hips should feel. Starts building out an athletic back swing and how the weight should be distributed. This is all pretty good stuff.
I tend to overanalyze things and in the couple years I have been playing golf, I have kind of experimented in my swing with how much of everything should happen as far as movement and set up (this is even with pga instruction). This is way more in depth then you get in a lesson. From day 1 in seems like you're essentially going to get 60 hours of instruction from the ground up, without the rushed feeling of a typical lesson. I have a lot of questions about a ton of different things in my lessons. How much weight should I feel in my back foot, where should I feel pressure. Things like that. This may not be perfect, but it's something I can do on my own in my house, everyday, whether or not I can get out to the range or course. I'll take it. I'll keep you updated as I move through as I remember to and let you know if/when there is a letdown and how it translates to the actual swing.

Day 2

The intro is the toughest part to get through.
Went over movements from first days class. Introduced movements to build out the body of the swing. no arms, just how the legs and body should move through impact. Again building out small individual movements into a larger golf swing. Glad I'm doing this.
Introduced the mental exercise portion. I find this a little less useful in some ways, but trying to give it a chance. Point is to try to build mental energy (coach put me in the game feeling) some cheesy phrases (authentic greatness?) but overall i understand what he's trying to do and can deal with it. I can see it being useful for when you're paired with three people who you dont know and you're about step up to you first drive on a tough course.

Chapter 1

I've gone through Chapter 1 in it's entirety. I really feel great that I'm doing this program. The first chapter goes from backswing through to finish of the golf swing. I have taken lessons with the best pga professional in our area and honestly, I really wish we had done something like this instead. This built a stance, backswing and through impact to finish in body movements alone in 10 hours or so of daily lessons. It also included some golf specific stretches to start to build flexibility and improve the swing. The mental exercises especially the visualization ones are ok, not great, imo. I've really taken a lot away from the body movements through the golf swing though. I always wondered how much weight should be in my back foot in the backswing, how quickly should i get to my front side? Little questions that would pop up in my driving range sessions that i just didn't have time to get answered in a pga pro lesson without a huge block of time and money being built out and spent. (Not that I'm saying you shouldnt take lessons, theyre great, but I wish I had started with this first). I truly feel like I'm confident in my stance, in my backswing, in getting through impact and feeling correct in a finish.
This hasnt touched on hands and arms and hasnt even really touched a golf club yet through the first chapter (it comes in chapter 2, i'm already a few days through, a little late in getting some more review up here).

All this being said, I've gotten to the range and have already seen an impact in my swing. I am making cleaner contact and experiencing way fewer chunks and tops. I typically start a range session and chunk the first few until I kind of find my swing, however in my first couple range sessions I was getting clean contact on my first swing. Honestly, it's a big deal for me and I couldnt be happier. I can't say for sure as I havent been through the whole program, but it really feels like this may have been the best money i've spent so far on golf.

I'll keep you updated on Chapter 2 if anyone is interested!

Sounds interesting for sure, thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

I begin day 4 today and echo the above comments. Interesting program. I purchased the program as I kept on trying to use ground forces without avail. This gets you there -- explains pressure, energy, how not to release it but use it to create power. I did not find the new age material off-putting. In fact, he kind of says, "I know what you're thinking ... you're not into this part, but ..."

I believe it's definitely worth a look but let me get to the range/course and another week or two more of the program before I add more.

I begin day 4 today and echo the above comments. Interesting program. I purchased the program as I kept on trying to use ground forces without avail. This gets you there -- explains pressure, energy, how not to release it but use it to create power. I did not find the new age material off-putting. In fact, he kind of says, "I know what you're thinking ... you're not into this part, but ..."

I believe it's definitely worth a look but let me get to the range/course and another week or two more of the program before I add more.

I would suggest range is fine towards the end of the first chapter (you'll know when you feel it better than me) but definitely skip the range from day 1 - 5 of the second chapter!
Im now towards the end of the second chapter and go golfing this weekend. While somehow I didn't turn into a scratch golfer I did strike the ball very well for me.

Subscribed...

Don't get the Golf Channel anymore :)sad:) so I haven't seen any of their spots. Have to say after going to the website, that it sounds like a very interesting program. I'll be watching your progress, thanks!

Count me as someone that he been intrigued by the commercials on the Golf Channel....can't wait to hear more on how you guys are doing.

After Day 8 ...

The first 4-5 days consist of rehearsing the 12 basic movements of the swing. They also have a review of the basic movements in detail. For the final 6-9 minutes, you have mental training ... some new age positivity training that you can endure. Stretching starts around day 6, and several are tough. On day 8, he compares the basic movements with classic golfers and athletes in other sports.

I think it is wise to practice the basic movements outside of the program to commit them to memory.

Does it work so early in the program?

Had not been to the range because of work and rain, so today was the first day since beginning the program. It will take repetition to get the 12 basics down. I've been an armsy-player instead of lower body based, which is the primary reason I subscribed to the program. After regaining tempo, and using the lower body, i'd gained over 10 yards of carry with the 8i. Still not doing all of the lower body movements correctly, as I've found it tough to move back and activate the glutes, but when I do, it's fairly effortless and powerful.

I saw the ad for this training on TV this past weekend and I am very intrigued. Please continue to update on your progress. I am very interested in hearing your results.

Just wanted to post a quick update on chapter 2.
I'm on Day 17. Each training is approximately an hour long so I don't always have time to fit it into the schedule I guess I'm averaging a lesson every two days or so. Chapter 2 brings the hands and arms into the body movements. You will actually use a 7 iron to go through some of the movements, which is nice to actually apply it to an actual golf swing. This chapter is where I've really started to see some swing changes. I'm not going to lie, it feels very different then my previous swing, but in a good way. Yes, I am struggling a bit actually playing, but I am getting to some pretty drastic changes. Great changes though! I've always had a very steep/compact swing. You see these long wide graceful swings on tv, but you feel like you're out there with a baseball bat or something like that yourself? If that makes sense to anyone? Anyway, This has really started to widen out my backswing. I am actually having my left arm straighten and stay straight throughout my swing and it feels correct. I have always really struggled with a really bent left arm, the straight left arm never made sense. This chapter is definitely fixing that, however it does feel like a process for me right now. I'm not going to say that I now look like Adam Scott out there or anything.
I am still very glad that I'm going through this. I also echo desmonds comments about doing some of the basic movements outside of the program to really ingrain them. I don't always have an hour to do the training, but can usually fit 5 to 10 minutes of some of the more crucial body/arm movements in if I'm not exhausted from work.
Also the program isn't just body movement routines. There are stretching routings, body movement routines, visualization routines (these are actually really helpful, i find they really help to ingrain the body movements), and the mental training. I dont love the mental training, and am guilty of skipping it from time to time.
I tell my wife to leave me alone, I have to go do Golf Yoga and Golf Tai Chi.
Enough typing, back to Golf Tai Chi for me.

When you say that you are using a 7 iron, are you actually making full swings? I don't have enough room inside where I would be watching the videos to make a swing with a club. Do I need to find space to watch the video so that I can make full swings?

First off, don't worry about your ceilings! You turn the club upside down for a full swing and I am fine in a bedroom. I tend to choke up on it a little, but now that I am typing, I will actually probably just grab a wedge for the upside down full swings in the future. Also for reference I'm 6"1 with fairly low ceilings in my condo and I have done nothing that would get me in trouble with the wife (as relates to this training program). You do use the club normally through about half of a backswing and some other exercises, nothing where you can do any damage when you're using it right side up.

When you say that you are using a 7 iron, are you actually making full swings? I don't have enough room inside where I would be watching the videos to make a swing with a club. Do I need to find space to watch the video so that I can make full swings?

I use a kid's club with a built up grip for inside work. Having had 2 sons, I have several of these clubs hanging around the bathroom mirror for inside work.

Update Chapter 2. I am all the way through Chapter 2. As I mentioned previously it builds on the first chapter and adds hands and arms to the body movement routine you learn in the first chapter. After building the hands and arms movements you generally do a body movement routine followed by a hands and arms routine later on in the chapter. I like that the first chapter is brought back into the second as they really do build on one another. One point that i dont think I've mentioned previously is that he walks through some of the movements you're learning and applies them to the swings of some of golfings greats like tiger, jack, etc. Not that they have the same swing, but he points out some of the commonalities and how you're learning to incorporate those movements. The visuals and "proof" if you will help understand the movements. also every chapter has a day where you just go through a test of sorts and he talks about each movement in more detail. again, very helpful. my swing has evened out and feels a lot more natural after finishing chapter 2.

Also, it seems like a lot of people in the "other" forum didn't really report in after a bit (i think 14 days was the magic give up number). it's certainly a big commitment to do an hour every night, but i think it's worth it. definitely not as fun as going to the range every night that's for sure.

Wanted to check back in and talk for a second about the third chapter which is about pressure. That's a dangerous word in golf instruction as you're always being told to hold the golf club like its a bird in your hand and that type of thing. This talks about pressure in a new way and this is the most exciting chapter yet for me. It has already made a huge difference in my tempo and helped really hold my swing together. this chapter has just made so much sense and helped so much. it helps make sure you're hitting the right positions in the golf swing without focusing on the positions. it really helps you be balanced and strong and deliver energy to a golf ball. great stuff here.

I belong to THP and that other site (since 2005). I want to share THP'ers my experience with Tahata in the event it interests you, or if you just want a whisper of what it's about. So here we go:

First 10 days of Tahata is working on the 12 basic movements and mapping repetition. Typically you do 2 sets of 10 of each basic movement. You are moving the entire time.

Day 7-10 introduces flexibility - some exercies are tough -- you won't be flexed like the instructors so one modifies. The exercises are similar to what you see in other programs with a few added twists.
What helped most was engaging the feet. I need to get the arms out of my swing (i.e. use them as an extension of my body) so the more I feel feet pressure and feel their movement turn the body, the better.

Day 11 and forward. Introduces grip and hand movement.

Taking it to the range is a different experience. Lots of wedges and slower movement. He really wants activation of glutes and that means sending them back and getting a little concave in the back through the swing. Moving glutes and knees backwards, I assume, to prevent early extension, is a challenge during the swing, as is loading the back leg. Less emphasis on straightening back leg, instead, they load it. Lots of empasis on using ground forces, pressures, loading, exacting instruction on what you should feel and movement (which is a primary reason I signed up). I don't turn the hips (don't focus on it), I now use the feet to do any turning and loading, then shins, the hips, etc. While it doesn't focus on turning hips, an instructor told me on the range that I was "posting" well.

More distance comes with the "snap," or what he call "surfing" the knees" which levels the hips - if you snap with speed, you definitely pick up yardage. But if the snap comes at the expense of not loading or moving back - then it does you no good.

I keep on mapping with wedges, and then thrown in irons and then a hybrid incrementally for fun. But it's mostly slow work with wedges.

I have definitely picked up substantial yardage, even in the early stages, but will wait 'till I get on a course using real golf balls before I put a number on it.

Last edited:
Days 11/12 -

All the labels and language used are different in this program.

Grip - he doesn't like strong or weak labels - he wants you set to a position of strength in the grip so you have no hesitation. If you have absolute confidence, he says you wont have regripping or hesitation.

Hands/Arms - once again, he starts off with hand movement - one hand, then the other. Same with arms, right arm, then lead arm. Get the idea of a turn out of the way. He puts you in a posiiton of strength. It's not relaxed. It is pressure. Lead arm across the chest with a fisted hand makes a punch, right elbow turns in so it stays in front of you -- it's a very strong position. You do all movements without a club, and then with a club -- there is repetition to map it. He gradually introduces the lower body movement and coordinates it with the hand/arm movement.

The mental side is typically about 7 minutes at the end and offers confidence to keep going.

Back