Not sure I understand.
Is that a free drop as in no penalty stroke?

if not then I'm not really sure I see where it helps anything. Basically you would be able to drop just prior to the creek anyway no? All they are really doing is allow the drop after instead of before. Now, if its no penalty stroke and you can also drop it after the creek that is a bit much to let slide by imo. Perhaps you can explain further for me.

Yea it is a free drop on the side nearer the hole if your off the tee, most people can't reach the creek in one anyway but they have that as a written rule.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yea it is a free drop on the side nearer the hole if your off the tee, most people can't reach the creek in one anyway but they have that as a written rule.

I must ask what is the logic for doing so. As far as being a free drop without penalty that does nothing to speed up anything. Its the same time whether or not one gets a penalty stroke or not. And for dropping on the hole side of the creek also doesn't do much. I guess if your talking a two or three club difference I can see that but a creek may only be a club from one side to the other. I'm not trying to beat you up with this but just trying to understand the reasoning behind it all and does it actually help any causes aside from having one less stroke on your score card. Sometimes things are done without giving much or proper thought and they don't really help any cause the way one thought it would so I am just curious if what they are doing makes any real sense towards a positive cause in your opinion.

I must ask what is the logic for doing so. As far as being a free drop without penalty that does nothing to speed up anything. Its the same time whether or not one gets a penalty stroke or not. And for dropping on the hole side of the creek also doesn't do much. I guess if your talking a two or three club difference I can see that but a creek may only be a club from one side to the other. I'm not trying to beat you up with this but just trying to understand the reasoning behind it all and does it actually help any causes aside from having one less stroke on your score card. Sometimes things are done without giving much or proper thought and they don't really help any cause the way one thought it would so I am just curious if what they are doing makes any real sense towards a positive cause in your opinion.

Don't worry I'm not beat up about it I only play there from time to time and I couldn't tell you any rhyme or reason for it. But most people I've seen play there don't come close to hitting it to the creek, so I would only venture a guesstimate that they made it a reward for john q poking one out there and reaching it. Can't think off my head what the yardage is to the creek but its a dog leg right and if I play to the left side of the fairway for an angle into the green the creek is out of reach(for me at least) anyway but if you attack the right side of the fairway and go into the creek you will have nothing but trees in your way on the other side where you drop due to the dogleg. Again just a local rule for this private course I guess the owner would know why but I don't.

yea it does sort of sound like a reward more than anything else. Anyway thanks.

Without even debating whether stroke n distance be justifiable or not the unwritten "Drop n 2stroke" in lieu of that "stroke n distance" just plays out better for all concerned.
I agree, and truth be told, will be how I typically play. If that makes me a cretin that no one wants to play with ... so be it. I'm out there to have fun, not spend my time piddling in the woods spending 5 minutes looking for a ball and worrying that I'm holding the whole golf course up ... because, you know, that's going to get me to calm down and play so much better. Right?

Another great look at golf etiquette!
DO:

1. Respect the rules of the golf course you are playing.
    • This ranges from dress code to keeping your cart on the path when instructed.
  2. Be aware of other golfers on the course.
  3. Yell "Fore," when your shot is heading toward other golfers.
    • Even if your ball probably won't be near the other golfers, it's better to be safe than sorry.
  4. Leave the course in the same condition that you found it, if not in better.
    • Repair ball marks on greens (yours and others), replace divots, and rake the bunkers.
  5. Play at a reasonable pace. 9 holes should take between 2 and 2-and-a-half hours (and 4 to 4-and-a-half hours for 18 holes).
    • Be ready to hit when it is your turn!
  6. Be quiet while someone is preparing to hit and hitting their shot.
    • Don't open your golf glove, pull a club from your bag, or talk while others are hitting.
  7. Play in the order you discuss with your group.
    • If they want to play by honors, let the person who scored the lowest on the previous hole tee off first. Otherwise, play ready golf - whoever is ready to play can do so.
  8. Putt in the appropriate order.
    • If you are furthest from the hole, you are the next person to play.
  9. Make sure you are playing the correct ball.
    • Check before every shot that the ball you are about to hit is really yours.
  10. Make sure the flag is all the way in the hole before leaving the green.
    • Nobody likes hitting to a flag stick that is barely standing upright.
DON'T:

1. Walk across the line of another player's putt on the green.
    • The line is the green directly between the player's ball and the hole.
  2. Hold up other players.
    • If someone is playing right behind you and there is nobody in front of you, offer to let them play through.
  3. Throw your clubs.
    • Everyone hits bad shots. Not only does throwing your clubs make you look bad but it can be dangerous to others in the group (and expensive when the club breaks).
  4. Walk off the green before everybody has finished putting.
    • Let everyone finish before heading to the next hole.
  5. Leave your shadow over someone's ball when they are hitting.
    • Be sure to move your shadow before someone hits as it can be quite distracting.
  6. Use your cell phone during the round.
    • Make sure your phone is turned off or on silent so it doesn't disrupt your playing partners and other golfers on the course.
  7. Stand behind someone while they are hitting.
    • It is courteous to stand out of the line of vision of other golfers when they are playing their shot.
  8. Spend too much time looking for a lost ball.
    • The rules allow up to 5 minutes to look for a missing ball but be aware of other groups on the golf course.
  9. Show up late.
    • Make sure you are ready to play when it is your tee time.
  10. Drive the golf cart wildly.
    • Everyone is tempted to. Don't do it

There is a problem with provisional balls though. And that is this. For the millions of average person weekend hackers and even mor avid mid/high to higher cap players its just not theat simple because when struggling has a good chance of simply dioing it again or over compensating and going the other way. Now you end up with two lost balls to look for and just may be on oposite sides of the hole which compunds the whole problem. But point being that provisionals can work well for a more consistant player and certainly a good player and even for a weekend hacker that is having (except for this one shot) a very good tee day. But that is not usually the case for the average hacker within the masses crowding the courses on the weekends. All too often will simply just be another ball to look for. Without even debating whether stroke n distance be justifiable or not the unwritten "Drop n 2stroke" in lieu of that "stroke n distance" just plays out better for all concerned.

The "problem with the provisional ball" is exactly why the provisional ball must be hit in lieu of dropping by the hazard and taking an extra stroke. The white or yellow staked hazard must be in play for the provisional. Red stakes, not always the case. But those stakes are to signify trouble. There is no rule that the provisional must be played with the same club as the original.

The "problem with the provisional ball" is exactly why the provisional ball must be hit in lieu of dropping by the hazard and taking an extra stroke. The white or yellow staked hazard must be in play for the provisional. Red stakes, not always the case. But those stakes are to signify trouble. There is no rule that the provisional must be played with the same club as the original.

Just to clarify, a provisional may be (and should be) hit any time you believe your ball may be lost outside of a water hazard or out of bounds. In order to be unable to hit a provisional, one must have knowledge or be virtually certain the ball is in the water hazard. The standard for "virtual certainty" is quite high. For example, seeing a ball splash in a hazard may not be sufficient to establish virtual certainty. It depends on factors such as the shape of the hazard, the trajectory of the ball, and what kind of terrain/ground cover is surrounding the hazard.

So if you're just not sure your ball is in a hazard, go ahead and hit a provisional.

This happened over the weekend I don't know who was right. HELP!

My foursome kept pace with the group ahead of us all day. On holes 1-6 we arrived at the tee box before they ever teed off. They finally opened up a little room on 7,8,9, but were still in the fairway when we arrived at the tee. At the turn my group went to the clubhouse to grab a snack, but the group behind us went straight to number 10. When my group arrived at the 10th tee the group we'd been following since hole 1 had not yet teed off. However the group that had been behind us all day said we gave up our spot in line by going to the club house. Who is right?

My thought is this: Despite our stop at the clubhouse, we still arrived at the 10th tee before it was possible for us to play (again, the group we'd been following all day still hadn't teed off on 10 when we arrived). As such, the pace of play was not affected at all and we should retain our spot in line.

What do you all think?

If the group ahead of you hadn't teed off then you guys were right. Now if the group that skipped was teeing off when you got there then they are right.

My foursome kept pace with the group ahead of us all day. On holes 1-6 we arrived at the tee box before they ever teed off. They finally opened up a little room on 7,8,9, but were still in the fairway when we arrived at the tee. At the turn my group went to the clubhouse to grab a snack, but the group behind us went straight to number 10. When my group arrived at the 10th tee the group we'd been following since hole 1 had not yet teed off. However the group that had been behind us all day said we gave up our spot in line by going to the club house. Who is right?

My thought is this: Despite our stop at the clubhouse, we still arrived at the 10th tee before it was possible for us to play (again, the group we'd been following all day still hadn't teed off on 10 when we arrived). As such, the pace of play was not affected at all and we should retain our spot in line.

What do you all think?

What I don't understand in this is, if you arrived at any tee box where they had not teed off, why didn't they let you through as the obvious faster group? You could have all driven off together so as not to unduly delay anyone else, such as the group behind you, and then pulled away as you were obviously always waiting on them at tees and no doubt approach shots also!

If it's not a competition then you haven't left the course without permission, which I'm sure there's a rule somewhere about, and as the group in front hadn't teed off after your short break, then the order of play should not be affected IMO and the group that was behind you shouldn't have any grounds to cut-in!

I think this isn't so much about that situation on the 10th personally, it should be about slow play and not being let through when there were clear opportunities to do so and as such, you were being unduly delayed!

I'd think it's pretty standard protocol to stop at the turn for a few minutes. Pretty sure that's why courses have the 9th green at the clubhouse. I would never assume that because someone went to the clubhouse after nine that my group got cutsies, if I wasn't stopping I'd let the group in front of me tee off on 10 before me.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

If you guys were ready to go at the 10th tee when it was your turn to play you are in the right. If one of your group was still in the clubhouse fighting an empty mustard bottle or something then let the group skip ahead of you.

Etiquette tells me that you had not lost your spot. letting bygones be bygones, let the group through so they can wait on the slow group and if you catch them, make sure to ask to play through.

What do you all think?

If the group ahead of you hadn't teed off 10 yet (or even gotten out of range for your tee shot) I don't see how the group behind you could say you forfeited your spot in the queue. I personally like to go from 9 to 10 without stopping and the lengthy wait on ten can get irritating, but on a busy weekend that's how it is.

Sorry, but you have not lost your shot. The group trying to jump ahead needs to fall back in line.
The course is backed up and it sounds like no one was moving.
If the group immediately in front of you was still on the 10th tee, what was the group behind you expecting you to do.
You definitely should retain your spot.

Sounds like they were POS's to not realize what was going on around them. Even if they had not noticed it wasn't your group on the tee box, they should have backed up and continued play as it had been for the last 9 holes.

I agree with the others. Unless the 10th hole was clear and they started to tee off or teed off before your group got there after stopping, then they should fall back behind you again. But if they were able to tee off and start playing the hole, then they would be in the right to do so.

You should keep your spot.

What was holding the group In front of you up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stopping at the turn for a reasonable amount of time is standard operating procedure unless the course posts otherwise.

It certainly can be an opportunity for groups to shuffle if need be. Let the faster 2-some play get ahead, or pair the single up with a 3-some. I've never thought of "getting in line" as an acceptable golf course practice.

Stopping at the turn for a reasonable amount of time is standard operating procedure unless the course posts otherwise.

I have always thought golf courses could do a better job motivating people to enter the clubhouse on the turn. Buy a snack, buy a drink, buy a hat, buy some balls, enjoy the air conditioning, etc. So while I don't have a problem with people 'skipping' the the turn, I think courses could find a better way to promote the break between 9 and 10.

*My above post is not an argument w/ DaBuckBoys - I didn't articulate that point well

You should keep your spot.

What was holding the group In front of you up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The course was packed. We were a foursome, keeping up with a twosome because they were stuck behind about 12 other foursomes.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Based on etiquette, you didn't lose your spot. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. People like that are not worth wasting your breath on to argue with.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back