Trying to Break 80 Club

I the same way. I think a repeating pre-shot routine can really help here. (I don't have one)
Very important to make the swing about the process more than the results, it'll help the troubled mind. Having a routine certainly helps me forget what number I'm shooting.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Sounds more like you need a new strategy to conquer the nemesis hole.

My strategy should be to actually hit the green in regulation (and get it to stay there!)

This is the best pic I can find of the hole (their website hasn't quite entered the digital age.) As you can see, most of the green is guarded by water, which is not an issue as I have only gone in the drink once. But to add to the trouble, the front of the green behind the pond is a false front with a severe slope.

Go long and you've found yourself in a pot bunker or on a steep (deep rough) hillside hitting back towards that false front (you do NOT want to be long.) There is a "safe" landing spot off to the right, but it is very narrow. I go for that spot 90% of the time, but if the wind is blowing, it's blowing from the west, and it will push your ball to the right and you'll hit the hilly rough. From there it requires a very precision chip shot to get near the hole, as the green undulates so much, as well as pulls towards the water.

Some day I'll get it right!

25822736824_944e22604f_b.jpg

Gotta get on top of that before it becomes a thing. Definitely looks like a tough hole!

Crazy round today. First 9 drove well, but that was all I was doing well. Never felt good with any club in my hands. Somehow pulled a 5 over. Back 9, kept up the good driving, but bent the knees just a bit more, and next thing I know, I'm striping my irons. Shoot even par on the back 9. So I shot a 5 over 75! That's 3 of my last 4 rounds under 80!

Broke 80 again today with a 78. 14 GIR and 11/14 Fwys as well. I really should have shot 74 or better but my short game was non-existent today. I'm happy and frustrated at the same time.

80 today for the first round in the nice weather. Soggy chips ended with a triple cost me.

Carded my first sub-80 round of the season, with a 78. My goal is to get at least 10 of these rounds, this season... Most I have had, so far, is 5, and that happened each of the last 2 seasons.

Carded my first sub-80 round of the season, with a 78. My goal is to get at least 10 of these rounds, this season... Most I have had, so far, is 5, and that happened each of the last 2 seasons.
No problem for a man of your skills. Get it done!!

About a month or so ago I posted that I would like to join this thread. Well, after I did that I've been struggling to break 90, with three 90+ rounds out of my last six. Then my game came together today. Didn't get it done, but sure should have. Was 3 over through 14, before finishing bogey, bogey, triple and bogey. The triple was just bad. Caught one fat and put it in the drink, then fanned the next one and couldn't get up and down.
But I'm pretty pumped about my round today. 4 birdies, the most I've ever had in 1 round. That help off set the 2 balls in the water and the two 2 chips. A 2 chip is when you chip the ball, and have to chip it again because you didn't get it on the green. Usually due to fat or thin contact on the first chip.
Like I said, didn't get it done but maybe I'm back on track. This 81 is my best round to date.

About a month or so ago I posted that I would like to join this thread. Well, after I did that I've been struggling to break 90, with three 90+ rounds out of my last six. Then my game came together today. Didn't get it done, but sure should have. Was 3 over through 14, before finishing bogey, bogey, triple and bogey. The triple was just bad. Caught one fat and put it in the drink, then fanned the next one and couldn't get up and down.
But I'm pretty pumped about my round today. 4 birdies, the most I've ever had in 1 round. That help off set the 2 balls in the water and the two 2 chips. A 2 chip is when you chip the ball, and have to chip it again because you didn't get it on the green. Usually due to fat or thin contact on the first chip.
Like I said, didn't get it done but maybe I'm back on track. This 81 is my best round to date.

Keep at it! It's funny how sometimes in this game you have to get worse in order to get better. 3 over through 14 doesn't happen to a guy who isn't capable of great scores.

I hate this thread at times. Ugh, I should have got it done today. The season is looking promising though even if it was a bit of a goat track today.

Had an 82 today w a good bit of breeze.

I have been in this thread before, and will again. Hopefully soon - two 79's are dropping off my handicap in the next few rounds, I need to replace them!!

Guys, one thing that has helped me, is that I don't worry about my score while I'm playing. I keep score. But I keep it in my back pocket, and don't add it up or count how many bogey's and whatnot I've had so far. I don't know my total score until I'm done with 18. For me, that keeps my focus on the hole I'm playing, and not a score at the end of the whole round. The first time I broke 80 this year, I started with a triple bogey and a double. I still shot a 79!

Finally got it done! I lost all hope of a sub-80 after 4 holes, but I played pretty clean golf the rest of the way in for my first 70-something in almost 2 years. Hopefully the floodgates will open now.

63a53a95d5632aa608325766f06f0681.jpg

Finally got it done! I lost all hope of a sub-80 after 4 holes, but I played pretty clean golf the rest of the way in for my first 70-something in almost 2 years. Hopefully the floodgates will open now.

63a53a95d5632aa608325766f06f0681.jpg
Strong finish!

WOW I made that picture really big. Sorry. I'll try to fix this.

Also, thanks! I'm quite proud of it!

WOW I made that picture really big. Sorry. I'll try to fix this.

Also, thanks! I'm quite proud of it!

Nice playing. Don't worry about the size of the pic. When I do it I'm taking out a full page in the newspaper.

Guys, one thing that has helped me, is that I don't worry about my score while I'm playing. I keep score. But I keep it in my back pocket, and don't add it up or count how many bogey's and whatnot I've had so far. I don't know my total score until I'm done with 18. For me, that keeps my focus on the hole I'm playing, and not a score at the end of the whole round. The first time I broke 80 this year, I started with a triple bogey and a double. I still shot a 79!
Although I completely agree, it's hard not to notice when you keep score on your phone, and your standing to par is right there to see every time you enter your score.

Witnessed by buddy's first sub-80 yesterday. He shot an 81 on Saturday (which bested the 82 he shot last fall). Went out in 37 on the front 9 yesterday and after par's on 10 & 11 which seem to always derail him, he kept it going and needed a bogey-par-bogey finish to get it done with a 42 back side.

It was funny as the guy he was riding with was having an awful round, his worst in years, so they just kept their distance and we didn't talk too much. His shot of the round was a 35 foot downhill putt from the fringe on 12, after losing a drive he returned to the tee to hit 3, put his 4th shot on the edge of the green and told our caddie (his wife) to pull the flag, he was gonna make it... and he did! Center of the cup, no doubter.

I think after that he just kept the mojo going and stayed solid. It was fun to watch...

Finally get to join the sub 80 club by shooting a 75 today! Came close twice last year with 80. Very happy to play a solid round from start to finish. We had warm temps and 20-25 mph winds. My putter was the key today. Here are the stats I typically capture.
- Score: 37+38 = 75 (3 over)
- Hit 9/14 fairways. GIR = 9/18. 0 putt = 1 (chipped in to save par), 1 putt = 5, 2 putt = 12 and 3 putt = 0. Total putts = 29.
- 1 birdie, 13 pars, 4 bogeys, 0 double bogeys.

Two rounds of 78 in my last four rounds. Both very solid rounds, 32 putts, both w strokes left on the course. Finished today's 78 with an 8 and a 7 on the closing par 4's.
Feels really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot 80 on a tough course I had never seen before, so that feels good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back